Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:50 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
jfre, ^^^^^^ your sample.

I forgot to add 'If you dont like it then leave" kinda remarks.

SkyeAnjel, you must be refering to my post. Read it again I dont think I mentioned anything to put Texans down. You're just immediately defensive and then sending me away Houston needs migrants. well, educated/professional migrants. Thats what its all about for Cali, and the NE. maybe a few more years we will have filled houston, ridicule houston's worse traits, invade the administration and make real changes. you locals run to the hills with your trucks and daycare schools while we work mmkay. oh youre welcome to join the movement of course
Where do you live?

Old 08-08-2007, 07:10 AM

654 posts, read 1,910,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historian/Traveler View Post
You don't change Texas, Texas changes you.
Amen to that! I wasn't overly happy when I moved to Texas 13 years ago. Now I wouldn't live anywhere else. There is a spirit here which some people get and others don't.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:52 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
...some admittedly zealous and proud Texans. Interestingly I don't hear as much of that here in Houston - anyone have any negative experiences like this here?
yup, just fished one the other day.
Why is Houston so cheap?
i dont think he's really a texan tho and this one has a knack for posting in the wrong thread :\ definitely a bad catch

Anyway, I agree you cannot change Texas, and that there is no point in changing Texas mindset. But Houston will change some more

SkyeAnjel, I didnt mean to sound like i look down on the daycare biz I meant more like daycare (high) schools and parent's idea of upbringing these days.

Last edited by Wysiwyg; 08-08-2007 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: quote

Old 08-08-2007, 12:44 PM

799 posts, read 3,694,285 times
SkyeAnjel, I didnt mean to sound like i look down on the daycare biz I meant more like daycare (high) schools and parent's idea of upbringing these days.

I have to agree with ya there.....

Old 08-09-2007, 03:23 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
I haven't lived in Texas, yet. Me, the wife and the children are moving to Houston in the next month or two.

A few months ago, when we decided we would move, I emailed the only person I know who had lived there. A couple that had lived in Sugar Land, only returning to California for family reasons.
In a much longer email he sent me (2 pages printed), where the only negative was talking about traffic in Houston, he had this to say about Texas:

"When you first get there, you'll notice that Texans implicitly think their state is better than any other place and they have a very strong sense of being "Texan". At first, you'll think it is merely bravado but you'll see that it permeates all of their culture. Pretty soon, you understand that they mean it when they say: "Texas, it's a whole different country". After living there a while, you'll likely agree with them."

I happen to come from California, I happen to be 5th generation on my father's side, born here, which is rare. I am proud of my state and I love it. I get a big warm feeling when I see our Bear Republic flag flying over the courthouse.

I understand having pride in your home, and I can't think of a better place to live than a place where the people all love their own state.

Anyway, I look forward to my first rodeo (first *real* rodeo),
I can't wait to sit in the stands of my children's high school on a Friday night and watch my sons play football.
And I am so ready to eat barbecue, you don't even know.

Well, we are ready for you! WELCOME!

When I see posts like this, it makes me proud to be a Texan.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:18 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,052 times
I think that Houston has that arrogance that you speak about in the other cities, yes I have experienced it however, to each his own, I definitely agree that one should be proud of their hometown but there's a big difference in being "proud" vs. "arrogant; cocky". I won't say all, but I've come across quite a few.

I also notice that many people from Texas, only know Texas, or at least pretend to. They seem to be un-interested in anything else, much less care about what else goes on, if it isn't in Texas, which to me is rather "shallow".
They are not open to new ideas/concepts/ways and means of getting things done, and are slow paced.

Now on the other hand, I've met many many people that have been here for 10-15-20 years, but not born and breed, who love it however they too feel the same way, however they have adjusted and become accepting, without allowing Texas to change them.

Anyway, I'm here now, I love the community togetherness, home pricing, cost of living, and the athletic spirit and involvement with the children and their sports.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:37 PM

320 posts, read 297,048 times
Quote:
jfre, ^^^^^^ your sample.

I forgot to add 'If you dont like it then leave" kinda remarks.

SkyeAnjel, you must be refering to my post. Read it again I dont think I mentioned anything to put Texans down. You're just immediately defensive and then sending me away Houston needs migrants. well, educated/professional migrants. Thats what its all about for Cali, and the NE. maybe a few more years we will have filled houston, ridicule houston's worse traits, invade the administration and make real changes. you locals run to the hills with your trucks and daycare schools while we work mmkay. oh youre welcome to join the movement of course

Have you ever visited Houston? The city is known for its educational, business, science, technology and medical industries. We have many educational opportunities, including recreation. Bayous? Are you joking? You think that's what Houston does? Play in streams?

Hate to break this to you, but NYC isn't THAT great. The city is dirty, smells like urine, the subways - are you seriously praising them - they are infested with bums and gang activity. Home ownership does not exist in NYC anymore, same with most places in California. The economy in those places is dropping and, surprise, surprise, your own locals are moving TO Texas to literally, yes, I stress LITERALLY, enjoy what we have to offer. I doubt they're coming because of the flooding.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:12 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBreaux View Post
Have you ever visited Houston? The city is known for its educational, business, science, technology and medical industries. We have many educational opportunities, including recreation. Bayous? Are you joking? You think that's what Houston does? Play in streams?

Hate to break this to you, but NYC isn't THAT great. The city is dirty, smells like urine, the subways - are you seriously praising them - they are infested with bums and gang activity. Home ownership does not exist in NYC anymore, same with most places in California. The economy in those places is dropping and, surprise, surprise, your own locals are moving TO Texas to literally, yes, I stress LITERALLY, enjoy what we have to offer. I doubt they're coming because of the flooding.
I live in Houston

Old 08-12-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I live in Houston
Are you sure you're not living on Little York Road without a car? Apparently your "view" of Houston is very limitied, especially since you live here.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
I think that Houston has that arrogance that you speak about in the other cities, yes I have experienced it however, to each his own, I definitely agree that one should be proud of their hometown but there's a big difference in being "proud" vs. "arrogant; cocky". I won't say all, but I've come across quite a few.

I also notice that many people from Texas, only know Texas, or at least pretend to. They seem to be un-interested in anything else, much less care about what else goes on, if it isn't in Texas, which to me is rather "shallow".
They are not open to new ideas/concepts/ways and means of getting things done, and are slow paced.

Now on the other hand, I've met many many people that have been here for 10-15-20 years, but not born and breed, who love it however they too feel the same way, however they have adjusted and become accepting, without allowing Texas to change them.

Anyway, I'm here now, I love the community togetherness, home pricing, cost of living, and the athletic spirit and involvement with the children and their sports.
It is my experience that people in San Francisco, New York City and Philidelphia aren't open to "new ideas," either. They're fine in their liberal Utopia, which is fine. Most Texans are fine in our "moderate" Utopia.

Also, on the "arrogant" thing, I've yet to visit a city - and I've been to hundreds across the nation - that did not have a sense of arrogance. Everyone is biased toward the place they grew up or the place they found that was better than home. It's called pride in your community, which is what many NE and West Coast communities lack. Too much arrogance, too little pride: Houston is in no shortage of pride. I don't think it's arrogance you're observing.

And "slow paced?" So what? This isn't metropolitan NYC where you're sharing a sidewalk with 10 million other people. We don't -need- to speed things up (that's assuming we're not talking about a Houston freeway hah).

Well, I'm glad you like the community, but let's not assume Houston, or Texas in general, is the only state with arrogance about the place they live/come from. It's everywhere but, like I said, Texas has more PRIDE than arrogance, which explains the "togetherness" you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston