Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:03 AM

4 posts, read 6,739 times

Advertisements

I've lived in DC for the past four years and am thinking of relocating to Houston for graduate school.

I was wondering if anyone could compare the severity of allergy symptoms between DC and Houston. I've always been allergic to dust, mold, and pollen (trees and grass). Of all the places I've lived, DC has been the worst for my allergies, especially from April to June and early fall. (I grew up in southern Oregon and went to undergrad in Chicago.) Allergy shots, neti-pot, decongestants, and nasal steroid spray have helped but not eliminated my symptoms.

Short of actually living in Houston, I know there's no way of actually knowing how I'd react. I was hoping there would be someone to lend some insight into their experience. Please let me know if any additional information and clarification would be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 09:09 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,176,658 times
You'll die in Houston by comparison. There's more $hit floating around here than there is in a down pillow factory.

Ronnie

Old 02-27-2012, 09:10 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
It's horrible. The grass pollens will bring you to your knees.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:06 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times
Thinking most of TX could be difficult for you if you have that many problems. If Houston is bad Austin is even much worse, I know people who suffer for months, have to get allergy shots to survive, even a few who had to relo out of Austin because the problem had become so severe.

Have you been to the state before?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 AM

4 posts, read 6,739 times
Thank you for the reply. I visited Houston for a couple of days in later October 2011 and didn't notice any problems. Besides that, I was in Amarillo for about three days three years ago (can't recall what that was like). I'm going to Houston this weekend for three days to check it out once more.

DC by far has been the worst for my allergies. My symptoms began in kindergarten, when I started school in an old dusty, moldy building. Took prescription meds through most of childhood, and in high school and college took them pretty intermittently. It wasn't until I got to DC that I had to begin taking allergy medication much more religiously. My shots and medications noticeably help, but some parts of the year still give me problems more than others.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:54 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,003,193 times
The air's terrible, but the pollen doesn't bother me. It's the pollution, including all the wonderful BMW, 18-wheeler, and bus diesel fumes. Think of a 4-million plus population, then toss in industry and low standards, and combine it all with humidity that loves to trap in all those particles. It's a lovely recipe, and the medical community appreciates it too. After all, business is good in Houston, right? (wink)

Old 02-27-2012, 02:48 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times
I have no problems except for a couple weeks in early spring when the Live Oaks pollenate. Every so often in the fall I'll get a slightly itchy nose with ragweed and it gets worse if I'm down on unmolested creeks or bayous. Maybe it's because I grew up in this stuff and I've been densensitized. Or maybe it's genetic.

Anyway I've heard it said that Houston is worse than Austin and especially closer to the coast because there is always something blooming every month of the year. Down here the wild grass is going nuts right now.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:59 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
My allergies in Houston were the worst of any place Ive lived. Not a constant year around but lasted longer than elsewhere Ive lived. Cedar allergies are most irrigating to me of any which is worse in the hill country certain times of year. Houston has a great variety of pollen so most allergies will flare there unlike most places.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:00 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,993,376 times
It's bad. Just today, I realized the pollen is back in full swing. 2 hours and my car was more yellow than Big Bird.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:49 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,005,041 times
If you have allergies - you will have the same ones here. I lived here my entire life and developed allergies at about age 30. Allergies to all grasses, trees, molds, mildews, other environmental pollutants - if you can breathe it, I'm allergic to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston