Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 10:09 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,050,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I think the reason the vote was called illegal is that too much time had elapsed before the election. Kind of like when people commit a crime and the statute of limitation kicks in because too much time went before they were charged. I thing same with this election - there is so much time within which an election must be held to change something and it wasn't done. Not sure of all the ins and outs but that is my "basic" understanding of why it is called not legal.

I think it's because the city signed a contract before asking it's people what they thought. The elected officials seen a money grab and chose it over the right thing to do. Which is to have a vote on the matter.

I hope the city is sued and loses and still has to pay to break the contract. Then anyone that agreed to the contract for the lights gets fired and can't get voted back in EVER. Making them have to work in the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 11:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,997,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
I think it's because the city signed a contract before asking it's people what they thought. The elected officials seen a money grab and chose it over the right thing to do. Which is to have a vote on the matter.

I hope the city is sued and loses and still has to pay to break the contract. Then anyone that agreed to the contract for the lights gets fired and can't get voted back in EVER. Making them have to work in the real world.
You do realize that it is your own money (taxes) that will pay for this, don't you?

Old 06-19-2011, 08:54 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,736,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You do realize that it is your own money (taxes) that will pay for this, don't you?
Yes you are correct nana. I feel we all realize this. But refer to the ongoing current thread about the pigs extorting, raping and pillaging money from us peasants......oops sorry I mean suckers.......oh sorry again.......I mean law abiding citizens. This extra immoral free cash rolling in should more then pay for any fines to pay off the bribe from the red light camera manufacturer. And I can promise you there will be plenty left over for all those YOU ALL voted for to give themselves some real nice big fat raises. Maybe even take another expensive cruise on OUR dollar.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I cut out most of your post because it was just plain offensive. Calling the police pigs is not part of a rational discussion.

So let's discuss the issue. There was a technical (legal) violation in the way the repeal referendum was done. There was a way to repeal red-light cameras, but it wasn't followed by the organizers of the repeal movement. So the judge threw out the vote.

When asked about the technicality, the judge replied, " “Those who favor repeal will react that this distinction is a legal technicality. In some sense, all law is a technicality.”

We either follow the law, or we don't. We don't get to say, "Well, this is a good law, so let's overlook the small, niggling technicalities that make it violate our charter/constitution".

My favorite part of these threads is some posters {*cough*desertsun41*cough*} who take every opportunity to denigrate our police. Who you gonna call when law & order break down? Oh right, you'll defend yourself with your guns. That'll work great until it won't.

I also love the idea postulated above--let's eliminate all police, and simply put empty police cars where crimes are committed. Ta-da! The end of all crime. Sheer genius!
In this world there will always be leaders and there will always be followers. Maybe even a 3rd group I call anti establishment. I fit in there along with a leader role. I would rather die on my feet then to live on my knees. Lets highlight followers.

Followers are suckers. Sheep. They like and trust their government. They trust the pigs. They thrive on some one telling them what to do. They are afraid of freedom. They want their lives to be controlled, to be put into a box: "Be here at 9, leave at 5, we'll take care of you."
People like that cradle-to-grave concept because it says you don't have to think too much, you don't have to worry too much, because someone else is looking out for you. Some one is there to tell you what is right and wrong. How degrading to one's self worth to be this way.

Do you feel you fit into this category? Be honest and not defensive. Do you even have the slightest inkling that your govt is treating us like we are mere peasants in a communist country? They are stealing from you and I my friend. You or I did not vote or give our permission to put those cameras up. This move by your govt is against everything the constitution was based on. I say "was" because this govt no longer follows the constitution. I hear the new Iraq is writing a new constitution and bill of rights. I feel we should just give them ours since we don't use it anymore.

And no I do not respect laws that are designed to rape the citizens. I do respect all life and would never treat anyone badly. A land without law may or may not be disastrous but I have to give more credit to mankind then those fat cat bureaucrats give us credit for by making thousands of useless laws designed for a grand money grab rather under the guise of protecting the public.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:17 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,581,998 times
I keep hearing that legally, one doesn't have to pay a ticket from a red light camera violation. So what is the real truth?

Old 06-19-2011, 09:20 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,266,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
If that's true, than we need to investigate the trail of payola going to this judge. We have to find out which politicians and businessmen bought him, for what price, and any other perks/kickbacks/gifts he received. Texas will continue to grow in corruption unless we get involved, expose it, and stamp it out.
The judge made a ruling you don't agree with. So he was bought out, paid off, corrupt? Let me get some more tinfoil for your hat.

I disagree with about half of what our Supreme Court does. I figure that means they're doing a good job.

Quote:
I don't care if they're back on either. But it was voted to be turned off by the people. If voting doesn't count then we need to overthrow the Mayor, President and any elected official because voting doesn't count.
Again, the vote has to be conducted within the confines of the law. If a vote is illegally held, it does NOT count.

What if the mayor & City Council got together and decided to hold an election to repeal term limits. And they violated all sorts of laws in holding that election. Maybe they held it immediately, violating the time/notice requirements. And the decided it would apply to current office-holders, violating grandfather clauses. And on & on. And the election passed.

It would clearly be an illegal election, and every court in the land would throw it out. But we voted for it. Should it count?

Old 06-19-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I don't care if they're back on either. But it was voted to be turned off by the people. If voting doesn't count then we need to overthrow the Mayor, President and any elected official because voting doesn't count.
Voting don't count. How do you think we ended up with that brutal dictator Bush and his regime of thugs?

Old 06-19-2011, 10:59 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,266,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Voting don't count. How do you think we ended up with that brutal dictator Bush and his regime of thugs?
Voting don't count. How do you think we ended up with that inept dictator Obama and his regime of thugs?

Voting don't count. How do you think we ended up with that cheating dictator Clinton and his regime of thugs?

Voting don't count. How do you think we ended up with that addled dictator Reagan and his regime of thugs?

Voting don't count. How do you think we ended up with that unfit dictator Hoover and his regime of thugs?

See how easy it is to play this game!

Old 06-19-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Voting don't count. How do you think we ended up with that inept dictator Obama and his regime of thugs?

Voting don't count. How do you think we ended up with that cheating dictator Clinton and his regime of thugs?

Voting don't count. How do you think we ended up with that addled dictator Reagan and his regime of thugs?

Voting don't count. How do you think we ended up with that unfit dictator Hoover and his regime of thugs?

See how easy it is to play this game!
I can't read into your sarcasm but I suspect we can both agree that voting is a game we peasants just can not win. So I choose not to fight a losing battle with the Sheep who outnumber me.

And it is a game isn't it. A typical political speech: We need to cut taxes. We need to fight crime. We need to better educate our kids. Sounds good huh? Only problem is the politician candidate never said he was going to do a single damn thing. He said we need to and the Sheep applauded and cheered then went out to vote for the clown. Then the clown gets into his throne and does nothing. Next election the political clown says the same thing and the gullible Sheep who never learned their lesson votes for this clown again. And so goes history.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:57 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,050,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

I don't live in Harris County

And if I did I would help pay for it so long as they remove the lights along with the people who went along with this or turned a blind eye to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston