Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 08:04 AM

15 posts, read 40,299 times

Advertisements

After getting answers from my previous question and obtaining help from users on the forum, I found a decent home for rent in Westbury. For anybody moving in to work at Med Center, my previous thread would help a lot.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...year-need.html

In the meantime I have a few questions:
1. If I am going to live in Houston for just one year, should I change the registration of my car? update my driving license? I am moving in from Arkansas and would be going to Ohio after a year's training in Houston.

2. Could you please suggest a good company to obtain Renter's insurance.

3. I am thinking of renting a small storage unit - Watson storage, Spellman road, (between Westbury and Fondren area)
Watson & Taylor Self Storage
I wouldnt be visiting it often (its storage), but if anybody has had any bad experience, please let me know.

4. The house I have rented is on the very western border of Westbury just east to a big bayou (Braewick Dr). As we head west into Fondren, the community is more mixed. I am hoping it will be safe (w/ 2 kids).

5. My 4 1/2 year old will need to attend pre-school. I have made a few phone calls. Please suggest a good pre-school that is close by. My wife can drop him and pick him up (even half a day at school would be ok since we are here for just one year).

Thanks y'll for any assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 08:27 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
I know a couple of the teachers at this preschool in Westbury. I would consider it strongly if I were looking for a preschool:
www.westburyumc.org

Old 06-18-2011, 08:38 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,162 times
Concerning your driver's license, you might run into some issues if it doesn't reflect a Houston address. In other words, it will be glaringly obvious that it isn't current. Among other things, you will get a citation/ticket for not have a current address. At a minimum, that and your checks should have a local address.

I grew up near Westbury (70s-80s). It used to be great. I'm not sure what it's like these days.

You might check the BBB (Better Business Bureau) for any complaints about that particular storage facility and location. Good luck and best wishes!

Old 06-19-2011, 09:12 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
westbury is a strong community now with home prices increasing and increasing. lots of young families here. you are on the outer border so it may be a little more iffy

Old 06-19-2011, 09:48 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by embolism View Post
After getting answers from my previous question and obtaining help from users on the forum, I found a decent home for rent in Westbury. For anybody moving in to work at Med Center, my previous thread would help a lot.

1. If I am going to live in Houston for just one year, should I change the registration of my car? update my driving license? I am moving in from Arkansas and would be going to Ohio after a year's training in Houston.

3. I am thinking of renting a small storage unit - Watson storage, Spellman road, (between Westbury and Fondren area)
I wouldnt be visiting it often (its storage), but if anybody has had any bad experience, please let me know.

4. The house I have rented is on the very western border of Westbury just east to a big bayou (Braewick Dr). As we head west into Fondren, the community is more mixed. I am hoping it will be safe (w/ 2 kids).

5. My 4 1/2 year old will need to attend pre-school. I have made a few phone calls. Please suggest a good pre-school that is close by. My wife can drop him and pick him up (even half a day at school would be ok since we are here for just one year).

Thanks y'll for any assistance.

I moved here from Arkansas (Malvern).

You want to change your drivers license for two reasons:

1. It's the law, and if you get stopped for anything, you'll have to hope you can lie your way out of not having done so (never a good idea), and

2. Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration checks state income tax rolls from the drivers license database. Texas has no state income tax. Arkansas is very persnickety about you continuing to pay state income tax (even though the income was earned in Texas) if you still have your ADL there.

Westbury is fine, get renters' insurance from the same place you get your car insurance (sometimes you get a multi-policy discount).

Old 06-24-2011, 09:03 AM

15 posts, read 40,299 times
Thank you all.
How does one go about choosing what electricity company to obtain power from - too many choices (unlike Arkansas).

Old 06-24-2011, 09:20 AM

217 posts, read 640,380 times
embolism: go to www.powertochoose.org and you will have the rates, contract requirements, etc. of all the options available to you. It's very confusing, and you will get a lot of opinions on who is better. Basically the electricity all comes from Centerpoint, and you are just choosing who will distribute it to you. I know there are a lot of choices, you will just have to determine what meets YOUR needs.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:48 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:

===> By law you have to. You can try to risk not taking care of the registration and driver license but if you get pulled over it's a $100 or so fine.

Quote:
===> I have all my insurance with State Farm and have been happy with them.

Quote:
===> As long as it is well secured you are probably ok with it, I wouldn't necessarily visit that place at night.
Quote:
===> I live very close to where you are (I'm in Fondren SW). Violent and drug related crime is overwhelmingly focused in the apartment complexes in the neighborhood. Property crimes happen occasionally in the single family homes, but as long as you take normal and reasonable precautions that any city dweller should (limit walking alone at night, light up the outside of your house, keep all windows/doors locked, etc.) you will be fine. Much of the hype you hear about this area comes from people who don't live here and have never been here.
Quote:
===> The Bertha Alice Center at the Jewish Community Center on S. Braeswood is an excellent pre-school and you do not have to be Jewish to send your kids there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: