Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:03 AM

9 posts, read 17,774 times

Advertisements

I acknowledge a radiant barrier work very well. However, I've never seen a life-cycle-cost analysist that justifies the energy saving as a function of reduced roofing system life. A radian barrier will reflect radiation back through the roofing system. That's how it works. Subsquently, the roofing system doesn't see just one exposure to radiation ... but two ... and that equates to reduced life of the roofing system. Until someone goes through the exericise of doing a life-cycle-cost study of energy savings, radian barrier installation costs, and reduced roofing system life/replacement costs, I'd advise staying away from the product. I've contacted a dozen radiant barrier installers ... and not one of them can tell me what reduction of roofing system life there is. Snake Oil??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 850 times
We had radiant barrier in our home and it has made a significant difference. Our home is older so they added ridge-vent and unclogged our soffit vents so the reflected heat would have a way to escape. The heat doesn't just disappear, it has to go somewhere.
[url]http://www.springtxroofingcontractors.com[/url]

Last edited by anthony p; 09-30-2013 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-30-2013, 10:22 PM

497 posts, read 1,486,093 times
Had it installed in our early 80's house (admittedly along with ridge vents) and it made a very big difference even though it replaced a wood shingle roof and so lost some effectiveness. It costs very little extra - probably received 100% ROI in the first month.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:25 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
On my old house built in 71, I had to get a brand new roof (thanks hail storm). Since it was shingle with 2 layers of composite, they replaced everything including the decking. I paid the extra out of pocket to get the decking with the barrier. I saw a 25% reduction in my electric bill.

On my current home, I paid to have the radiant barrier sprayed in (which FYI isn't a true radiant barrier). I went with the Heat Bloc Ultra and had M&M roofing spray it in. I saw about a 15% reduction in my bill during the summer months.

Other things I've done:
I doubled my attic insulation and saw another 20% reduction.
I added solar screens to my windows that face southwest.
I replaced all of my incandescent lights with LED lights.
I put in programmable thermostats that I can change from my phone.

In the end, I went from getting my highest summer bill of $500 to now my highest summer bill of around $320.

Was the $180 peak reduction worth the thousands of dollars in work? If the energy rates remain about the same, I'm probably looking at around a 20 year payback. Since I plan to never move, it's not that big of a deal to me; however, had I invested that $10k wisely, I'd definitely be further ahead than doing this work.

Since I do get the satisfaction of knowing that I've reduced my energy consumption and know that I would not have invested that money, I'd do it again.

However, it's not for everyone.

Now, if you are replacing your decking or having a home built, I would ABSOLUTELY pay for the decking with the barrier already on it. Much cheaper with a greater ROI.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:36 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,541,391 times
Anyone have theirs done recently? I'm looking for a reputable installer. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:39 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
My house doesn't have radiant barrier, but I'm looking into installing roof attic fans,
Any thoughts about it?
Since I'm going for the roof fan because is cheaper and easier than installing radiant barrier

Old 08-20-2017, 09:16 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
My house doesn't have radiant barrier, but I'm looking into installing roof attic fans,
Any thoughts about it?
Since I'm going for the roof fan because is cheaper and easier than installing radiant barrier
Roof fans don't work very well, and are a fire hazard. Install adequate soffit vents, and some ridge vents. The convection will keep the attic adequately ventilated. When we replaced our roof, we installed ridge vents and had previously replaced our soffits with HardiSoffit. Our attic is noticeably cooler than before. If we do anything else, it will be to get spray on radiant barrier, and blow in some more insulation.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:51 AM

How are roof fans a fire hazard when they are an electrical device just like any other?

Seem like neighborhoods in the 100-250k range don't have roof fans
But when you go to neighborhoods above that range, all the houses have them
I also saw a lot of them on a new apartment complex by my house

Old 08-21-2017, 06:12 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
How are roof fans a fire hazard when they are an electrical device just like any other?

Seem like neighborhoods in the 100-250k range don't have roof fans
But when you go to neighborhoods above that range, all the houses have them
I also saw a lot of them on a new apartment complex by my house
The motors lock up, then start a fire. There's no need to use a fan to move air out of the attic. If you don't need a new roof, which makes installing ridge vents difficult, install passive roof vents called air hawks. They look like powered vents. Lots of builders install stupid stuff because buyers expect it. After reading about the increased fire risk from power vents, I'll never have one.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The motors lock up, then start a fire. There's no need to use a fan to move air out of the attic. If you don't need a new roof, which makes installing ridge vents difficult, install passive roof vents called air hawks. They look like powered vents. Lots of builders install stupid stuff because buyers expect it. After reading about the increased fire risk from power vents, I'll never have one.
That's easily fixed by using fuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston