Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:43 PM

13 posts, read 37,144 times

Advertisements

I have heard ads for Efficient Attic Systems for years but don't know anyone that has used them. I do understand that the spray paint type radiant barrier isn't as effective as the other types, but I am looking for feedback to determine if you would recommend applying this product. Did the product actually provide energy savings?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 04:05 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,209,779 times
I didn't use them for radient barrier paint because I will be replacing my roof fairly soon. I did use them for insulation and was pleased with the service.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:46 AM

67 posts, read 351,183 times
On somewhat of a same topic, any idea what to put on the inside of the pull out stair attic door as insulation. Builder had (house is now 7yrs old) some sort of insulation sover on the inside perimeter of the attic door, thats coming out each time i use the attic... any suggestions on what (and if) i should be replacing it with?

Old 04-01-2010, 05:46 PM

460 posts, read 2,426,942 times
You can put a "hood/cover" over the pull-down stairs. It's a lightweight cover made of fiberglass drops down over the opening after you exit the attic. Not perfect, but inexpensive and easy to install.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:02 PM

913 posts, read 4,343,224 times
I have done a lot of research on the subject and currently doing attic insulation in garage (400 sq ft) and later - in the house (900 sq ft). Here is my 2 cents.

Foil barrier vs paint?
foil barrier is better from every angle
- thicker
- unlike paint, officially considered a radiant barrier
- included in 2010 tax credit
Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency : ENERGY STAR

If you want to use a liquid barrier, use a regular outdoor white paint in our attic. And then a foil.

Attic ladder port insulation
There is many solutions packages. Owens Corning has one. Lowes, HD or eBay sells a few more.
It is also an easy DIY project. Pls check youtube for instructions.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:04 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Insulation for the garage? Doesn't that just trap the summer heat (and engine heat) inside? Or the winter cold?

Old 08-09-2010, 09:08 AM

1,211 posts, read 3,556,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Insulation for the garage? Doesn't that just trap the summer heat (and engine heat) inside? Or the winter cold?
it is true that areas not served by HVAC should not be insulated in this climate.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:33 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
it is true that areas not served by HVAC should not be insulated in this climate.
That's what I've always heard, unless the garage is a climate controlled shrine/workshop for your collectibles/projects (or whatever the case may be).

I've heard first-hand from disappointed individuals that adding a radiant barrier to an older home won't lower the electric bill. I always wondered why the barrier came with "free" insulation, too. OTOH, those homes engineered to use a barrier from the start (with other modern, high-R materials) are reaping cost-effective benefits.

Attic door insulation -- that's pretty straightforward. A slab of insulation the size of the attic door goes in a frame on the inside of the door so it won't slide back & forth. Problem solved. They make styrofoam pads covered with mylar on one side for this. It's a nice touch, but probably doesn't make a lick of difference if your door already seals properly.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:02 PM

61,653 posts, read 87,023,434 times
I have ridge roof, soffit vents and exhaust fan in the gable for few years now. I did noticed that the attic is not so hot anymore. The A/C bill went down by 10-15% . I also have a white shingles on my roof.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:22 PM

799 posts, read 2,440,849 times
My father used a spray in radiant barrier product because he already had plywood decking, and didnt want to replace it with OSB. He claims his bills have been reduced, and I can say first hand his attic isnt so brutal.

I went with standard osb techshield decking during my reroofing, and my bills have gone down, but its only been a few months. I have a programmable stat, and it hasnt been changed in quite some time. I plan to wait a year, then get my bill info and average temperature info together to see what I saved. I also notice my attic temps were drastically reduced(no official readings, just going off of feel).

My house is ten years old, my old man's is 30-35. He has upgraded all of his windows though.

I would only use liquid if you have reasons like my Dad, or have a roof that is hard to access all areas from the attic. If it is easy to get around, check out the foil types that staple to your beams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston