Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 08:46 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,754 times

Advertisements

I agree with ahzzie that the humidity isn't an issue all year, especially since 1/2 of the year has pleasant temps (Nov. through April). But the long hot stretch (May through October) is very significant, and can be very difficult and pleasant for many, especially when you throw in the humidity. I for one am looking forward to getting away from the humidity.

Back to the salt air question, it's mostly relevant to those who live directly on the coast, especially if they drive on the beach. The salt water and salt air can have a corrosive effect on vehicles over an extended period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 09:05 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times
I agree about Spring and Fall being very nice in Houston. It's really great actually. Only problem is it doesn't seem to last as long as the dreaded summer heat.

And coastal cities of course have tons of humidity and mugginess. But they usually also have coastal breezes that help.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:16 AM

5,994 posts, read 3,734,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
I agree with ahzzie that the humidity isn't an issue all year, especially since 1/2 of the year has pleasant temps (Nov. through April). But the long hot stretch (May through October) is very significant, and can be very difficult and pleasant for many, especially when you throw in the humidity. I for one am looking forward to getting away from the humidity.
Agreed. Yes the humidity begins to increase in May but, excluding extreme years like this year, the temps are not yet high enough to cause discomfort in most people. The time when the heat and humidity really begin to take it's toll is June through September. For the most part late September and October is the beginning of the cooldown. I seem to remember in years past having to occasionally wear a jacket at night in October. But then again with the weather patterns changing so much globally that may no longer be the case.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:19 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
You will only experience humidity in Houston. Your skin and plants will LOVE it! Even though it is also good for your hair...your hair won't behave as if it is good for it!

If I were you I would force myself to go out in it everyday for an hour or more so you can acclimate to it quicker! Early morning the best if your schedule permits. Besides your skin and plants will thank you for it!

You will take a lot more showers then you did in AZ but it feels so good to be clean.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:35 AM

5,994 posts, read 3,734,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
You will only experience humidity in Houston.
Houston is not the only place in Texas with humidity. Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin all have their share as well. Here's a climate zone map of the US...

File:Climatemapusa2.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-10-2011, 09:15 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,741 times
Humidity is rather high here except for some parts of the winter. I play some different instruments and some use natural animal skin, which is susceptible to changes in humidity, and most of the year they are rendered useless by high humidity unless i am CONSTANTLY tuning them. I, however, got used to our climate. Id take wet humidity over splitting dryness anyday. Houston is supposed to be wet, hot, sticky, and sexy... now if we could just tackle our problem with overweight people wed have something..

Old 07-10-2011, 09:34 AM

136 posts, read 328,773 times
In Texas, I've lived in 3 different humidity "zones" for extended periods of time. I'm from Houston - then lived in Midland (on the edge of a desert), and now Austin - right in the middle.

In the late spring and all summer, Houston's humidity is just unbearable, for me anyway... it's like being suffocated.

Moving to Midland from Houston, the lack of humidity was a welcome change. But over time (was there 15 years), I found that it negatively impacted my health. I had nosebleeds with alarming regularity, my skin - in particular my face - cracked and peeled constantly no matter how much moisturizer I applied, and my eyes were always red and irritated due to the dryness. Yes, in the shade, the temps feel cooler. But step out into the sun on a 95+ day, and to me, it feels like your skin is literally baking. And 105+... it's like a convection oven. This is when some humidity feels better on the skin.

Austin has been a nice middle ground. Better skin, no nosebleeds, and my eyes have been fine. We can get some pretty high humidity here too... but nothing like Houston. I think the humidity in the summer here ranges from 40%-60%. Houston can easily have 80%+ humidity even during the hottest temps. "Sauna" indeed.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:44 AM

136 posts, read 328,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
You will only experience humidity in Houston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Houston is not the only place in Texas with humidity. Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin all have their share as well. Here's a climate zone map of the US...

File:Climatemapusa2.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I could be wrong... but I think TVC15 meant that it's essentially always humid in Houston - not that Houston's the only place in TX that's humid.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:57 AM

133 posts, read 268,534 times
Yep, the weather is mostly beautiful from November to April. Fantastic winters. In the summer, you just have to get into fishing or some other water hobby. The salt water here isn't the most beautiful, but there's plenty of it and the water sports are very good.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:37 PM

90 posts, read 236,867 times
No! Wait! Houston is humid? Did not know that. Must be why my skin feels sooooo nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston