Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 04:28 PM

4,218 posts, read 4,740,409 times

Advertisements

How have your experiences dating been in Houston? Has it differed from your experiences in any other cities?

Old 09-14-2009, 09:12 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,403,213 times
I'm not sure whether we have any single African-American women in this forum. I'm sorry you haven't gotten a response!! The nightlife scene is pretty good here though, I don't think you'll have a problem if you come to Houston!

Old 09-14-2009, 09:21 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
How have your experiences dating been in Houston? Has it differed from your experiences in any other cities?
Well I'm not a woman, but I am black lol

Overall, Houston has a good dating scene and a vibrant black community. You have all types of clubs,bars,restaurants and more that cater to the black crowd. You got clubs like Venue, Toc Bar, Butterfly Lounge and more downtown. Than you got Roxy which is usually always packed in Uptown Houston.

You have to get out and explore to the city and pick a scene you like. Us dudes make it easier for you women since we tend to make the first move

Old 09-15-2009, 11:04 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,568 times
Being a white male I can't speak personally but my African-American wife had a yahoo-personals account before she met me there and had an average of 50 or so replies to her ad and picture a day. Her teenage daughter had to screen them . She told me months after we met (I was one of those replying to the ad!) that she didn't really pick me out from the crowd, her daughter did and fortunately I had a good personality! :-) Anyway, she said they were all shapes, sizes, and colors of men and she didn't have ANY kind of problem having plenty of dates during the 4 or 5 years she was a divorcee'.

If you have anything going for yourself you should have no problem having a good social life here. If you do it will be because of a bad personality or something, not your race. I think it a good situation overall for two reasons, 1) if you're picky about staying within your race there's a solid 20+% African-American population and it's a fairly well-off one compared to some other cities I've lived in - whole big Upper-Middle-Class parts of town are African-American majority 2) It's a long-term melting pot where folks have been working and living with people from all over the world and various race Americans for generations and most folk don't think twice of dating outside their race or nationality.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:14 PM

14 posts, read 44,985 times
I have only been here for a short time. But I can say that the dating scene is okay. It is better than some places where I have been but worse than others. There are a lot of different guys here, but there may be some issues in actually meeting people. This is especially true if you are not a clubber and work a demanding job. There are some more upscale (less club-like) establishments, but sometimes people tend to stay in their own groups as opposed to interacting with other folks. Of course there are other options, such as internet dating, which comes with its own set of issues. Overall, you will do fine, but you have to put yourself out there a little.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:07 AM
qwy

296 posts, read 520,231 times
This is a good post because I will be moving to Houston and I want to actively search for a great woman, race doesn't matter.

Bamba_boy what are the names of some those up scale black areas you mentioned... I'm looking for an apt.

Tisha1023 could you explain a little more about how the dating scene is better than some places and worse than others. I'm moving to Houston to start college, I know I will meet plenty of women once I start but until then I would like to meet women off campus, if you could give some examples that would be great.

more

Old 09-19-2009, 06:23 PM

104 posts, read 359,726 times
I'm a 29 yr old African American female...usually I meet guys accidently..just going out to the store or something since I don't club, I haven't met any friends yet, to go out with. I only been here 1 month and I've met a few guys....ugly, cute, fat, and short they all come in different varieties...lol

Old 09-20-2009, 02:44 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,568 times
[quote=qwy;10826805]This is a good post because I will be moving to Houston and I want to actively search for a great woman, race doesn't matter.

Bamba_boy what are the names of some those up scale black areas you mentioned... I'm looking for an apt.]

The classic area is in the MacGregor/Riverside neighborhood just SE of downtown inside of the loop. It's an older area but consists of big rolling lots (much bigger than even most suburbs) along a picturesque bayou. Big River Oaks' type homes, mostly 40-50 yrs old but usually well-kept and now starting to be some new construction and gentrification. There's a great club called MacGregor Place on MacGregor Way a block or two off the 288 Freeway, cheap martinis, great classic R&B for dancing and free buffet after work during happy hour. Lot's of single professional ladies that work downtown for the oil companies and nurses and administrators from the hospitals in the Houston Medical Center.

Personally, we live in a newer area that's about 30-40% black, but also significant white, latin, asian, whatever, that's becoming a real option to MacG/Riv that's still not too far outside the loop (20-25 minutes to downtown, 10-15 to Galleria on the 59 FWY) that in Missouri City (I live in an adjacent part about a mile north in far SW Houston).

You mentioned, though, renting an apartment. Both areas unfortunately have a real diversity of apartment quality as well as people - apts ranging from very nice to very crackhousie. Do your homework before signing a lease, check it out at midnight on a Sat night,etc. Pay a little extra and rent at a top-notch place ... the difference will be less than replacing your stolen car or flatscreen.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:33 PM

913 posts, read 4,343,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
For Houston dating events, check this page here:
Discount Event Tickets in Houston for Half Price

Old 09-29-2009, 12:13 AM

6 posts, read 33,323 times
My experience.. there are guys here, but its not as easy to meet people. The city is soooo spread out , there are so many different areas that it tends to be harder to meet people in Houston than in 'real' cities like D.C., NYC. I was very frustrated w/ not meeting 'single' people when i first moved here. (For some reason married men kept hitting on me)
Then i realized if i joined groups/became involved in the city, i would meet alot more guys and i would meet new friends.So my suggestions 1. get involved. 2. If you like sports, hit up a sports bar on game day (Texans LOVE football) 3. "Grooves & The Skybar" usually have a nice variety 4. you will ALWAYS meet people at the grocery stores, mall, etc (as a previous poster said)
Welcome to Htown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston