Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:16 AM

86 posts, read 249,987 times

Advertisements

We are interested in ayshire or braes oaks area now after visiting. It seems a bit more appealing than meyerland..also more expensive.

Does anyone know about mark twain elementary vs kolter..kolter was our biggestet draw to meyerland. Also there is a jewish community center..that seems to have lots of activities for kids.

Anyone used ymca in stella link?

It also seems like braes heights is more pricier and popular than braes heights..is ayshire area a good one. We see some houses in merick/ grenoch/ drummond in that are old.. But okay. The train line nearby seems to be a quiet one..

Can anyone comment..what are the advantages of being in braesheights vs ayshire.. They are on different sides of stella link..any issues with safety?
We have narrowed down to meyerland vs ayshire/ braes heights.. The braes area seems about 100k more than meyerland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 08:19 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,580 times
i think meyerland in general is a nicer area just imo.

the ymca on stella link is awesome. always crowded though like any ymca. awesome pool. it was recently (in last year -2 years) renovated to the awesomeness that it is now

Old 07-17-2011, 08:33 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandh View Post
We are interested in ayshire or braes oaks area now after visiting. It seems a bit more appealing than meyerland..also more expensive.

Does anyone know about mark twain elementary vs kolter..kolter was our biggestet draw to meyerland. Also there is a jewish community center..that seems to have lots of activities for kids.

Anyone used ymca in stella link?

It also seems like braes heights is more pricier and popular than braes heights..is ayshire area a good one. We see some houses in merick/ grenoch/ drummond in that are old.. But okay. The train line nearby seems to be a quiet one..

Can anyone comment..what are the advantages of being in braesheights vs ayshire.. They are on different sides of stella link..any issues with safety?
We have narrowed down to meyerland vs ayshire/ braes heights.. The braes area seems about 100k more than meyerland.
be sure to check tsarp.org for flood zones in the area. improvements to brays bayou should help alleviate flooding, plus all the street upgrades in the area, but its still a concern. The area itself is on its way up from what I can tell and with the growth of the medical center it continues to get more and more popular. Don't know about the elementary schools, but I imagine they're decent with all the wealth in that area.

As far as the difference between Braes Heights and Ayreshire, no idea.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:53 AM

2,549 posts, read 4,052,054 times
They are both good schools. Twain has a literacy focus, Kolter has a foreign language focus. So they do a lot of literature work, journaling, etc. at Twain; at Kolter your child would choose Japanese, Chinese, Spanish or French. Foreign language from kindergarten is pretty cool, IMO.

I love both neighborhoods. The Stella Link Y is great. I live near the JCC and haven't used it (it's pricey) but I know people like it a lot. I'd say look in both neighborhoods, and go for the house & street combination that appeals to you most from what's available on the market.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:38 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,572,390 times
If I had the choice I would choose Meyerland I would get a house that is cheaper & remodel it. Even Willow Meadows on the other side of 610 from Meyerland would be a good choice there are like 10 house for sale right now if do you choose Willow Meadows stay north of W Bellfort so you will be zoned to Bellaire high school

Old 07-17-2011, 01:11 PM

We drove around and we liked the area around lovette and kolter. Willow meadows loos good but we are not sure about the elementary in that area.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:38 PM

90 posts, read 130,365 times
Meyerland is way nicer and you get a lot more house for the money.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:00 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,572,390 times
Red Elementary is a magnet school in the last 5yrs or so it is gotten much better which is the school for Willow Meadows & Willowbend

Old 07-18-2011, 06:16 AM

From the replies so far, I hear that 77025 is not as desirable as Meyerland. It seems like the houses there are selling for more for whatever reason. One thing that bothered me is the large number of new houses poppoing up in between old ranch homes. I see less of that in Meyerland. But there are no houses now available in meyerland, other than the ones that are near chimney rock or so....

So again, why is 77025 selling for more if it is less desirable than meyerland?

Old 07-18-2011, 08:06 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandh View Post
From the replies so far, I hear that 77025 is not as desirable as Meyerland. It seems like the houses there are selling for more for whatever reason. One thing that bothered me is the large number of new houses poppoing up in between old ranch homes. I see less of that in Meyerland. But there are no houses now available in meyerland, other than the ones that are near chimney rock or so....

So again, why is 77025 selling for more if it is less desirable than meyerland?
I think that being adjacent to the Med Center and West U drive much of the value in Braes Heights and Ayrshire. You don't need to get on the freeway, or cross under it to get to either place, which adds value. The homes themselves aren't any more valuable, it's all land price.

A good chunk of Braes Heights flooded in Allison, so that event accelerated the rates of teardowns. The new homes are raised up, which makes them tower over the original ranchers. Parts of Meyerland flooded, but not to the same extent, hence many more original homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: