Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:36 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times

Advertisements

I heard the local food truck are gathering in response to perceived hassles by police and inspectors. Its rumored that the restaurants have complained to city hall that the trucks have negatively impacted their businesses.

I'm of the opinion the food trucks have taken the to-go concept a bit further. They come to you or your festival. Many small businesses can have a truck instead of paying for expensive catering.

Anyone else hear about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 02:47 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
food truck owners are definitely complaining about the city of houston and inspectors. someone wants to kill the businesses but i dont think it's restaurant owners. you are perfectly able to open your own food truck as a side business from your restaurant

city of houston permits and licenses have always been crazy and difficult. probably can be said about most other cities as well. houston is just too big to have the organization yet

Old 11-08-2011, 05:13 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times
There was not a problem with food trucks when it was just Mexican food. It has to be restaurant owners pressuring the city. I think they are a great addition to a dull urban area. They are thriving in Austin.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:37 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,557 times
I think it's a neat idea, which I haven't tried yet. I can completely see it taking away business from nearby restaurants, especially in the bar/club areas which have a high influx of customers once 1am comes around.

Anyone recommend any good ones to try?

Old 11-08-2011, 08:20 PM

55 posts, read 91,861 times
I wonder how much clout these restaurants have considering so many are owned by big local or statewide companies. This kinda sounds like the same way walmart kills the little guy. That is too bad since many of these little trucks are great! support your local TRUE mom and pops businesses people!!!!!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:03 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,615 times
you mean 'madres and padres'

Old 11-08-2011, 09:05 PM

469 posts, read 1,101,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
I think it's a neat idea, which I haven't tried yet. I can completely see it taking away business from nearby restaurants, especially in the bar/club areas which have a high influx of customers once 1am comes around.

Anyone recommend any good ones to try?
My personal favorites are Bernie's Burger Bus and Rolling Hunger(Korean/Mexican fusion). Both as well as a few others are around the Montrose area for lunch.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:13 PM

469 posts, read 1,101,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
you mean 'madres and padres'
Not really. The food truck movement across the country are not the taco trucks showing up to construction sites anymore. They are all types of foods right down to cupcakes and high end dessert trucks. You can take any restaurant idea, buy a food truck for $50k and cut most of your overhead.

Noel furniture had 6 or 7 trucks in their parking lot for lunch a month or two ago. It was packed when I got there.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:17 PM

92 posts, read 145,800 times
Sounds like Big Government to me. Or pissed-off restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liljo22 View Post
My personal favorites are Bernie's Burger Bus and Rolling Hunger(Korean/Mexican fusion). Both as well as a few others are around the Montrose area for lunch.
Korixan food? I must investigate this further.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:22 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liljo22 View Post
Not really. The food truck movement across the country are not the taco trucks showing up to construction sites anymore. They are all types of foods right down to cupcakes and high end dessert trucks. You can take any restaurant idea, buy a food truck for $50k and cut most of your overhead.

Noel furniture had 6 or 7 trucks in their parking lot for lunch a month or two ago. It was packed when I got there.
Construction sites??????? Do you realize this is the Houston forum? There are hundreds of Mexican food trucks in the predominatly Mexican city? They are everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: