Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:35 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,952 times

Advertisements

Alrighty Houston guru's... I am staying in H town for a couple of weeks to attend some job related training. I will obviously be needing some places to eat, but since the company is paying, I have to keep the meals under $20....

Alright, really I can eat better on 20 a meal than I do at home, because at home I am a cheapskate....

I will be staying in the neighborhood of Sam Houston Tollway close to the Katy freeway. I don't want to get too far out of that area, because I am a small town guy driving a rental, and the big unfamiliar city scares me....

What kind of ideas for close eateries that won't get me too far away from my temporary home?

Oh, and I realize that too far away is really subjective, but seriously..... After a daylong brain hammering, I won't be terribly adventuresome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 07:28 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,974 times
Beltway 8 (Sam Houston) and Katy Fwy environs?

Plenty of stuff. Go to City Centre for nice and cool options. It's right at the corner, practically. Red Mango. YardHouse, Flora & Muse and such. (You MIGHT find some stuff under 20 a pop.) If you are a "small town" guy, this area may not be for you unless you are looking for some big city splash and flash.
or

South on Beltway 8, get to Westheimer, turn left (going eastbound), you'll see the Carillon Square on the right. Eclectic choice of solidly good eateries. Italian, French bakery, Argentine, Japanese, Pakistani...great British Pub called Sherlock's.

Either way on Westheimer, as you drive...there are tons of great indy restaurants and cafes to choose from. Fuzzy's Pizza is very good Chicago style...and that is off Fondren/Westheimer.

or

South on Beltway 8, get to Bellaire Blvd. turn left...you will have an amazing selection of Chinese, Taiwanese cafes. If you go right on Bellaire, you will see a great selection of Vietnamese cafes. Fu Fu's Cafe is one of the best "real" Chinese cafes there. Or for a mixed style, try Sinh Sinh. Both are open til at least 2:00am.

The vast majority of these places have meals definitely under 20.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:35 PM

Thanks, Worldlyman! I assume most of these places would be jeans or shorts weaing establishments? While this is not vacation for me, I don't have to dress up for the classes and would rather not for eating either.

Man, what a goldmine of suggestions, thanks again!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:02 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
Thanks, Worldlyman! I assume most of these places would be jeans or shorts weaing establishments? While this is not vacation for me, I don't have to dress up for the classes and would rather not for eating either.

Man, what a goldmine of suggestions, thanks again!
Nah, don't have to dress up. Though for a cool night out in City Centre's environs, it doesn't hurt to thread up a bit.

If you go to Fu Fu's Cafe on Bellaire Blvd (the Dun Huang Plaza), I recommend their beef bowl soups. They are with thick chunks of beef, thick noodles...and even with an appetite...it's hard to finish one bowl. Spicy or non spicy. And it's like 5.95 a bowl. Great deal. Then there's the Ice Bowl...with great desserts to wash it down. The four fruits-over-ice (strawberry, mango, canteloup and pineapple) is super good, sweetened with condensed milk.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:18 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,623,472 times
Guadalajara Hacienda is pretty good for Tex-Mex for Seafood I like Christie's

Christie's Seafood and Steaks - Home

Guadalajara Hacienda - Houston's Premiere Authentic Mexican Food Restaurant - Now 4 Locations in Houston Texas - Guadalajara Hacienda - Houston's Premiere Authentic Mexican Food Restaurant - Now 4 Locations in Houston Texas

Old 07-27-2011, 07:18 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Chowhound Boards - Chowhound

Excellent place to get local restaurant recommendations. I've used them numerous times when I travel!

Old 07-27-2011, 04:25 PM

Thanks ChristieP! I will go over and check them out.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:14 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,961 times
I used to use the roadfood forums for restaurant suggestions, I believe it is very similar to chowhound. My sil put me on to http://www.urbanspoon.com though, and it's my go to website for restaurant reviews these days!

Old 07-27-2011, 10:16 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,961 times
I used to use the roadfood forums for restaurant suggestions, I believe it is very similar to chowhound. My sil put me on to http://www.urbanspoon.com though, and it's my go to website for restaurant reviews these days!

I used them earlier today and ended up at a great little place in dt Detroit!

Old 07-28-2011, 12:38 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,076,236 times
Losttechnician, another informative restaurant website is B4Ueat.

Enjoy your visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: