Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 12:42 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times

Advertisements

Don't know how many of you take the time to review your billing from HCTRA, but I just found a hiccup in the system that may be costing you money too.

I don't know how many of you pull a trailer around, but, if you do, the tolling system actually "tries" to count the number of axels you have in order to charge you. In other words, it costs more for you to pull a trailer on the tollroads than it does for just your truck or car. I say "tries" because it messes up... alot!!... never under counts, just over counts the number of axels. Imagine that! Hmmm...

Anyway, I pull a one axel trailer around alot when I shoot sporting clays...I have a clays cart I wheel around on it. I pull it with my pickup so there are three axels to be counted. I don't have a billing sent to me by HCTRA and I peruse it occasionaly from their website. Lo and behold, since the beginning of the year I was getting charged for 4 axels (and extra $1.50 per reading) about 1/2 the time. WTF?

Now, mind you, those ladies that answer the phone over there are WAY nice and VERY helpful and I got everything refunded, but the kicker is that their system can't read properly. For example, I went through one reader on the Westpark Tollway and it counted 3 axels then 4 minutes later I go through the next one and it reads 4 axels. I must be Houdini. I can mount an extra axel on my trailer going 65mph in less than five minutes.

Anywhoo... check your billing if you pull a trailer around, especially if you pull it back and forth on the Westpark Tollway.

Just sayin'...

Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 04:38 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
I posted here, a few months ago, about checking your EZTag statement regularly for erroneous billings. I hadnt used my EZTag for months following extensive foot surgery and so didnt think to check my account online for a while. When I finally did, I found that I had been billed for using a tollway in the Dallas area a couple of times Customer service was very good about checking it out and told me that someone with a plate very similar to mine should have been billed. My account was credited promptly.

So, yes, anyone who uses the toll roads should check his/her EZTag account online monthly.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:32 AM

352 posts, read 778,395 times
I thought this was about that $15 initiation fee for EZTag. Now that is a ripoff

Old 09-01-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waytoodeep03 View Post
I thought this was about that $15 initiation fee for EZTag. Now that is a ripoff

Never had to pay that. Must be something new.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:33 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Thanks for the warning. My wife pulls her horse trailer sometimes; I'll make sure and dbl check next time she does.

I check my EZTag statement online every month. I do a quick review to make sure the dates, times and places match up with how we tend to use the tollways (we have three tags in our family). I'm sure there can be the occasional error I won't catch, but I look for things like tollroads we don't use, times we never drive, etc.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Thanks for the warning. My wife pulls her horse trailer sometimes; I'll make sure and dbl check next time she does.

I check my EZTag statement online every month. I do a quick review to make sure the dates, times and places match up with how we tend to use the tollways (we have three tags in our family). I'm sure there can be the occasional error I won't catch, but I look for things like tollroads we don't use, times we never drive, etc.

Just run through the column that has "# of axels". When I see 4, I know it's overcharged.

Ronnie

Old 09-01-2011, 10:50 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Just run through the column that has "# of axels". When I see 4, I know it's overcharged.

Ronnie
I just checked online, and saw a few charges with 4 axles. Bingo, I thought! Got them overcharging me! Then I looked at a pic I had of her trailer, and realized it IS four axles.
Attached Thumbnails
EZ Tag Ripoff-img_2964.jpg  

Old 09-01-2011, 10:55 AM

Yep, that's four alright. 5 if it counts the spare.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:29 PM

3 posts, read 6,205 times
Beware of unscrupulous charges! They will charge a ridiculous amount in penalties (Over $25.00) for each toll passage if you do not contact them and pay when they send a notice. We had family members in ICU and didn't realize Fort Bend Toll fees were not being drafted from our account. I received a couple of notices but assumed the amounts were deducted from my husband's debit card. However he was in a bad accident and could not function. We now owe over $1,700.00 in collection fee rip offs for $43.50 in toll fees. They amount charged for administrative fees are astronomical per toll passage. How can EACH toll booth passage in a day amount to a Fort Bend Toll Road fee of $25.00 plus collection company fee (PBFCM Attorneys)? Like I said...They can and will rip you off and there is nothing you can do but pay the gauging collection fees. They can and will issue warrants for one's arrest for collection of even one violation. It was my fault not keeping up with the toll fees. I do not dispute that. What I find horrifying is the bogus administrative fees charge for $43.00 in toll charges. It turned into $1,700.00 in six months.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:35 PM

3 posts, read 6,205 times
Beware of unscrupulous charges! They will charge a ridiculous amount in penalties (Over $25.00) for each toll passage if you do not contact them and pay when they send a notice. We had family members in ICU and didn't realize Fort Bend Toll fees were not being drafted from our account. I received a couple of notices but assumed the amounts were deducted from my husband's debit card. However he was in a bad accident and could not function. We now owe over $1,700.00 in collection fee rip offs for $43.50 in toll fees. They amount charged for administrative fees are astronomical per toll passage. How can EACH toll booth passage in a day amount to a Fort Bend Toll Road fee of $25.00 plus collection company fee (PBFCM Attorneys)? Like I said...They can and will rip you off and there is nothing you can do but pay the gauging collection fees. They can and will issue warrants for one's arrest for collection of even one violation. It was my fault not keeping up with the toll fees. I do not dispute that. What I find horrifying is the bogus administrative fees charge for $43.00 in toll charges. It turned into $1,700.00 in six months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston