Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:56 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,048,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Shows you how desperate people have become when they call 94 degrees refreshing

Only because it's dry. If this were any other year with the humidity in the 80%, they would be singing a different tune. And we do have winter here. Yes it's not as long or as cold say as Chicago. But it's still a winter. 40* with high humidity makes it feel like 10* with no humidity. You can walk around outside in Colorado when it's 45* in shorts and feel great. Here, not really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 07:59 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,066,818 times
you get a lot of people making weather here something that it is not... I grew up in Houston and NEVER had a cold Halloween. Someone saying it is somehow unusual for kids not to wear a JACKET for Halloween here is insane. we are talking about sweating and having to have light/breathable costumes.

it is also crazy to say winters here norm is 30s to 50s. look up how often Houston is below freezing and how long that lasts. id say the range of 30-50 is a little wide for what we really experience

like i said October is not fall weather. its not chilly sweater weather (short of a cold front). its just nice awesome weather. thanksgivings in Houston can still be warm/comfortable (to down right hot some years). december/january you can get some cold temps (rarely below freezing and of course the coldest times are late at night).

march in Houston can be HOT! in recalling the past 20 some odd years here I don't recall ever having a cold/cool Spring Break. is it 100 degrees? not that I recall but it definitely gets in the 90s

im not hating on Houston weather. i prefer the weather here than in any other state. but don't set someone up for disappointment.

yes it's hot here! summers are looooooooong. but that means more summer time activities and you can actually play outdoor sports all year around (with proper hydration of course)

edit: we are experiencing changes in our weather here. this summer has been unusually hot for extended periods of time without any type of break. we also had an unusual cold snap last winter. who knows maybe this winter will be unusually cold and next summer we'll have record setting consecutive days of 110 degree heat

Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,006,268 times
Houston winters are very mucked up. It's not cold in December. We might get 4 days out of the whole month where you actually need a winter jacket over a dinky, thin, wind weather protective sweater.

It's gets "cold" in mid January to February then it's hot as hell starting in March.

And it's the "cold" that makes you sick. It's very rarely continuous. Mon-40, Tue-65-70, Wed-65-70, Thurs-32, Fri-55 and so forth and switch it....

You can't even adjust when the weather fluctuates so badly.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:32 PM

i think Deja succinctly posted what i was mucking my way through trying to get at. that has been my experience as well since the early 90s

you can adjust and the majority do.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:37 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,054,575 times
I wouldn't say it gets hot as hell starting in March. Actually temps in March were 70's and mid-80's toward the end of the month -- you can see previous months actuals on the bottom of the page on this link.
History : Weather Underground

Old 09-14-2011, 09:59 PM

is that max high one of those 86 degree days where it just feels like its 110? i always recall being hot but its SPRING break. it's supposed to be that way

Old 09-15-2011, 10:27 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,011,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
... then it's hot as hell starting in March
That's crazy. It's never hot in March (same goes for much of April). It's probably the nicest month of the year in Houston. Mostly sunny days, low humidity. Temps. varying from about lower 50s in the morning to upper 60s / lower 70s in the afternoon

Old 09-15-2011, 10:47 AM

23 posts, read 41,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
I was thinking this would be a good name for an NHL Hockey team which we'll never get. Don't care about Miami.

Ronnie

Yes we can

Old 09-15-2011, 10:51 AM

23,030 posts, read 34,447,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
That's crazy. It's never hot in March (same goes for much of April). It's probably the nicest month of the year in Houston. Mostly sunny days, low humidity. Temps. varying from about lower 50s in the morning to upper 60s / lower 70s in the afternoon
No it's not crazy, it's Houston weather. It has been hot in March lots of times, but it has also been cool, that time if year it can be just about anything, but usually it's on the hot side.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:55 AM

23 posts, read 41,455 times
I heard some people say they had no rain since Feb here making it more hot than usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston