Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 07:20 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Even living in Clear Lake, local traffic sometimes results in 20 to 30 minute drive anyway, and much longer to get to parts of Friendswood and Pearland.

Where were you driving that it took 30 minutes to get somewhere locally, and what's ''local''? Either I must be missing something or our definitions of "local" are different. Traffic inside 610 is much heavier than here as well, but you do have the option of ditching the car and walking in some cases.

I also find no reason to go to Pearland, unless you like Bass Pro Shops. Friendswood can also be way out there, close to Alvin. Either way, you're talking about 13 or 14 miles from 'Clear Lake City' and with no freeways. That's like driving from Alief to Montrose using Bissonnet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 03:51 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,080,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Where were you driving that it took 30 minutes to get somewhere locally, and what's ''local''? Either I must be missing something or our definitions of "local" are different. Traffic inside 610 is much heavier than here as well, but you do have the option of ditching the car and walking in some cases.

I also find no reason to go to Pearland, unless you like Bass Pro Shops. Friendswood can also be way out there, close to Alvin. Either way, you're talking about 13 or 14 miles from 'Clear Lake City' and with no freeways. That's like driving from Alief to Montrose using Bissonnet.
NASA1 and Kirby to Baybrook Mall. Major jams often occur on NASA1, Space Center, and especially Bay Area Blvd when school and work lets out. The Bypass may be an option, but traffic STOPS on 45 between 528 and 2351 at many hours during the day. During Christmas, Bay Area often backs up to Hwy 3 from the mall, and the lights on Hwy 3 are often so horribly timed that sometimes Hwy 3 and 2351 goes thru 4 or 5 light cycles before one can pass.

I would often drive thru the neighborhoods to get around the major streets, but unless you know your way around them they are mazes.

So yes, sometimes you can get from NASA to 2351&45 in 10 minutes, sometimes 20, sometimes 30.

The reason I mentioned Pearland and Friendswood is that many people live there and work at NASA. It takes about as long to get to NASA from there as it does from downtown, although they are about 10 miles closer.

And regarding the comment that traffic inside the loop is heavier, I disagree. 6 lanes of traffic on Bay Area is much worse than nearly any area inside the loop, with the possible exceptions of parts of Kirby and near the Med Center. But even there you have parallel side streets as options, where once you are stuck on Bay Area west of Hwy 3 you are stuck. In general, I can get almost anywhere inside the loop in 10 minutes or less because things are so much closer, and there are always alternate routes.

And inside the loop I can avoid the freeways.

Last edited by RocketSci; 09-22-2011 at 04:02 PM..

Old 09-22-2011, 04:58 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Yeah down there I can see that, and everyone knows to stay off Hwy 3. My perception is from Clear Lake City Blvd and everything is within 10 mins, some that is easily walked/biked to. Traffic flow problems are about nil. Downtown/museums are about 25 mins away off peak. Now way down where you're describing is getting isolated from Houston but they pretty much have their own recreational thing going on anyway. Being situated between the two is pretty good IMO. Maybe I don't fully realize just how spread out this area really is.

Oh, and working/experiencing several years of Galleria to Downtown rush hours, I still think the traffic between those two points is heavier than anything here, except during Xmas of course. People who live on a 50 mile stretch of I-45 seriously make things hell that time of year because there is no good/comprehensive shopping near them.

I still think for the OP, a 6 month stint somewhere around here would be good to get his bearings straight before taking on the longer commute. When you're wrapped up in a move and a new job, 6 months = a blink of an eye.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:27 PM

11 posts, read 30,501 times
I don't think the traffic will be that bad because you are going against traffic. If you lived in Seabrook and were traveling to downtown Houston, then you would have a problem.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:10 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavey View Post
Thank you--I think I would feel the same way. I'd rather be close to something that interests me then have to constantly drive into downtown to find something to do.
I think I'll try living downtown and if it doesn't work out I can always move.
I hope you enjoy living Downtown. Seems like a great place to live. Hopefully later on you'll find a job inside the loop.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:14 AM

157 posts, read 578,095 times
The reverse commute makes a HUGE difference. My friend moved to midtown even though he works in DIckinson (down by Galveston). Since he's going against traffic, it only takes 35-40 minutes leaving at 7:15a & 5p.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston