Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 05:55 PM

488 posts, read 1,384,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo1199 View Post
Hi, again thanks for replies......with regards to a HELL of a journey.....what do you mean.....time or crazy?

I currently drive 1000 miles a week all over the UK and I a hoping for a more settled time in Houston where I am not away from home 3nights a week and drive so much.....if I have a 30/45 minute commute each way that's ok.....

Do you think that from 12606 N Houston Rosslyn Road to 77479 is longer....If so I need to contact my realtor....
Just googled that address - that is a heck of a drive from Sugarland. With no traffic I think you could do it in 30 - 40 mins but rush hour, or bad weather or an accident you could be 80 - 90 minutes. I would be looking at Woodlands, Cypress, Spring areas. We loved the Bridgeland development when we first moved but my hubby splits his time between the East (office) and West (workshop) so Pearland was a good mid point for us. Trust me when the sun is shining and your BBQ is calling you will want to be home asap .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 05:59 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,211,463 times
Affirming that Cypress, Champions and The Woodlands are far better choices. Especially Cypress, close and good schools. The Woodlands is a little further but has good schools. Champions is the closest, the schools are OK.

The commute from Sugar Land would be long and tiresome.

Will you be in temporary housing to start?

Old 09-24-2011, 06:01 PM

811 posts, read 1,558,422 times
I am just researching Pet Insurance and think I am going to go with PetPlan. You can do a search online for all the Insurance Co's and compare. I think I will be paying approx $27 per month for a 9 month old Dachshund, I never had Pet insurance in the UK as my other dog had pre-existing conditions so don't know how they compare premium wise. (There are loads of pets in Houston!)

To echo what everyone else says, get the easiest drive you can. Life is too short to be spending it on Houston Freeways!

I avoid banks at all costs. They are not your friend. I HATE them. Go with a Credit Union if possible.

Where in the UK are you coming from?

Last edited by Cabot; 09-24-2011 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-25-2011, 03:04 AM

14 posts, read 24,129 times
Huge thanks to you all......I am so pleased with the advice given.....

We are not tied into any house and we are still free to change our location.....having just looked at the areas of recommendation we are amazed at how much cheaper it is and what you get for your bucks in comparison to Sugar Land.......I have just instructed my realtor to start a new search for Cypress and Woodlands.....

Regards pet insurance......I have pet plan here in the UK I have just seen that I can swap it to the US plan......

Please keep your info coming.....

Old 09-25-2011, 07:27 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,797,235 times
Don't let the "cheap" fool you... Good neighborhoods up north are almost the same price or even higher than Sugar Land. Do your home work mate..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo1199 View Post
Huge thanks to you all......I am so pleased with the advice given.....

We are not tied into any house and we are still free to change our location.....having just looked at the areas of recommendation we are amazed at how much cheaper it is and what you get for your bucks in comparison to Sugar Land.......I have just instructed my realtor to start a new search for Cypress and Woodlands.....

Regards pet insurance......I have pet plan here in the UK I have just seen that I can swap it to the US plan......

Please keep your info coming.....

Old 09-25-2011, 07:32 AM

Just thought of another question......

Rental furniture........do we, don't we......costs to ship are quoting at 5000 sterling!! I know its part or my moving allowance but.....

Would you ship everything before we know we are going to be happy in Houston or would you rent furniture to start with as it take 6 weeks to ship anyway so we will need to have something short term or would you rent your UK home furnished and then when we are ready to purchase our home then ship all our belongings.....

If suggestions are to rent......any suggestions from which company?

We will be bringing our dog with us so will not want to stay in a hotel until our container arrives hence the reason for needing to go straight to a house.....or would you suggest renting furnished.......is that an option with a large dog.....he is very well trained !!

Sorry for so many questions!!!!!

Old 09-25-2011, 09:05 AM

10 posts, read 23,054 times
My advice would be move to Cypress or Katy, sign a 6 month contract on an apartment, and look for a house in Cypress as there are plenty to choose from and the market is great. Pete Arns with City Apartments is great for aparment hunting, you don't pay him, the apartment complex does and he gives you a cut; and Cathy Coby is a great real estate agent for that area. I'm in the middle of doing the exact same thing and have spent months researching the area. Here are some of my recommendations:

Apartments:
Verona at the Reserve
Lakeview Lofts
Yorktown Crossing

Neighborhoods:
Bridgeland
Towne Lakes

Good luck!

Old 09-25-2011, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the info ......just wanted to say it will have to be a house with a big back yard......we are bringing a bullmastiff dog with us who is 11 months old and 140 lbs at the moment so apartments are not possible......I do have sufficient funding to look for houses though......but thanks for advice on apartments....

Old 09-25-2011, 09:37 AM

811 posts, read 1,558,422 times
I think the Woodlands would still be quite a drive and the traffic in and out of the Woodlands at rush hour is bad. There are loads of good places closer in. Again, if you can get a shorter drive, why subject yourself to a longer one if you don't have to.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:57 AM

967 posts, read 2,612,300 times
Yes, I would nix The Woodlands and stick with the Cypress, Cy-Fair area.

As far as shipping furniture, we've had several friends from the UK, and even a Katy friend just move to the UK for a 2 year window. In all those instances, they left their furniture at home.

A friend with young kids bought IKEA stuff. They just went back to the UK and even left their flatscreen TV on the wall. Another friend who works for BP (lots of short term expats). Have their own version of craigslist for home furnishings.

If your tastes are more mature than IKEA, we have many furniture stores that sell "cheap" furniture that look a little more grown up... Ashley Furniture, Rooms to Go to name a few. So for the money you might even look at buying furniture here and selling it on craigslist when you leave.

Our Katy friends who moved to the UK put their house up for rent but had to put furniture in storage. People don't rent "furnished" houses around here.

Hehe... A good month or so ago I could have hooked you up with a furnished 3 br house in Katy for 2 years! Woulda made my friend (and yours) day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston