Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 08:32 PM

71 posts, read 190,346 times

Advertisements

the weather today was quite spectacular
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 08:36 PM

71 posts, read 190,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Those suburbs are called "Houston" so it's safe to say Houston traffic is bad. Contrary to popular belief on here, Houston ventures out much farther than the Inner Loop

Some don't want to live "cozy" right by all the clubs and bars and museums with the hood next door. The Heights is suppose to be paved in gold the way people wax on but for living that's to close to Kashmere Gardens for me.
I don't even live in the inner loop. But I guess you're just another scared suburbanite afraid of anyone of color. Using your logic then Bellaire must be a warzone since it's next to Gulfton . The only thing that scares me about the heights are all the drunk yuppies on a friday night arguing about politics at Christians Tailgate.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:38 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsIzzy View Post
I want the hardcore truth from real Houstonians (is that correct?) please.

We're going back and forth between a move out to Bakersfield or Houston, and both places have some major negatives for me, but we HAVE to move because of a job. Those are the choices (oil world), and they both have things that bother me.

So, besides the God awful traffic and humidity from hell, what are the great things about life in Houston?

What are the most awful things that you, a native, find you would run away from if you could.

I am sooooo confused.
The heat is pretty bad, but it's not bad enough to stop people from jogging or working on the roads. Winters are mild, or so I am told from natives of colder climates. However, you don't have to earn a lot of money to OWN a NICE house in Houston. You realize that Houston was the fastest growing US city in the last decade, so it can't be all that bad.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:55 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,992,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesouthwest View Post
I don't even live in the inner loop. But I guess you're just another scared suburbanite afraid of anyone of color. Using your logic then Bellaire must be a warzone since it's next to Gulfton . The only thing that scares me about the heights are all the drunk yuppies on a friday night arguing about politics at Christians Tailgate.
LMAO!!!

Last time I checked *looks at hands, leans over to mirror* I look black, I'm perceived as black, birth certificate considers me black.

Guess you have to try a different angle now, huh?

Technically, from where I'm standing, in those areas I'm more likely to be unsafe in those areas because crime and incidents tend to be mostly race on race in those areas. You (I'm guessing you're white) would be witnessing something but it would be worst for me because like I said, I'd be a target more than you.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:08 PM

134 posts, read 296,867 times
Heck,
A lot of you guys are talking about how nasty the weather in Houston is, but remember the OP says Bako and Houston.
I don't know how bad it is in Houston; however, I don't think there are many people that would say the weather in Bako is nice. Really? it is not abnormal to have 100+ degree days from May straight to the end of September in Bako, and then you get a lot of foggy days for the other months. Also, also, and also, you need to realize that Bako consistantly has the worst air quality in North America.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:13 PM

563 posts, read 910,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesouthwest View Post
OP, please ignore comments like this... Houston is a wonderful place with plenty of "mixing" of every culture you can think of. Don't think diversity is restricted to just the inner city, it stretches to most of the suburban areas, too.

Please see a couple of comments about diversity in the suburbs from people that have moved here from the northeast...

"You'll also find a surprising amount of diversity in Houston. While NYC prides itself on being a diverse city, it it still very segregated. We've found Houston, including the suburbs, to have more "mixing" of different races and cultures. We live in a nice quiet Northwest suburban subdivision that is practically the United Nations! We have an Indonesian family next door, an Indian family on the other side, African Americans, Mexicans, and British across the street, and a Caribbean woman behind us." -UpstaterInBklyn-

"Originally from Queens, NY and have been here 3 years. Trust me when I say it's almost night and day, but not for the worst, not at all. Just.. different. Wife and I found the job market to be much better here than NYC.. Even with the tough economy it still works out to be better. Just like the other posters have written, find out where you will be working and then choose a neighborhood at least within 10-15 miles of that. We settled around the NE suburbs (Atascocita, Humble, Kingwood area - about 25 - 30 miles from downtown.) Very northeast like - pine trees, forest feel.. Almost like taking a drive through upstate NY, NJ, or PA, but without the mountains. One of the biggest surprises I have found is the diversity! Wife and I have lived all over the country and I tell you Houston's diversity is top notch. It's one thing to shop in diverse places, but hardly ever do you come home to it - Houston actually has that - house to house, block to block." -subtlesoul21-

Goodbye NYC, hello Houston (or Dallas)

You also might want to read their post for a little more info on moving to Houston.

Last edited by MobileDave; 10-01-2011 at 11:12 PM..

Old 10-02-2011, 12:37 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Really and truly, Texas just has food and bars with a smattering of things you might really want to come see. Food you can get anywhere.
Yes food you can get any where...but not anywhere close the to the outstanding host of foodies that you will find in Houston. Houston has more outstanding food establishments then most big cities. It is right up there in the top.

Now that would not be a reason to pick it over Bakersfield...there are plenty of other reasons I would choose Houston over Bakersfield. Just the shear diversity of the city would be my reason to pick Houston.

It really depends on what your into. If living in a slow paced small city with not a lot of opportunity then Bakersfield might be for you.

Don't let the humidity of Houston be a deterrent...it is very good for your skin...you will look years younger.

I could never live in a place like Bakersfield...but that is because I like what a big city like Houston full of opportunity and diversity has to offer. It just depends on what you need in life to be happy. The cities are night and day apart.

Good Luck finding your new city

Old 10-02-2011, 01:11 AM

29 posts, read 89,945 times
-Houston traffic is better than in LA (I was in LA 4 years). Most of drivers are nicer than in CA.
-Houston hot climate is not as bad as in Bakerfield and/or LA. I still remember the sign "Turn off your AC" on I-5 (Bakerfield area)
-Your dollar is more value in Houston
-Gas is cheapper than in Bakersfield. As of today it is 3.04 in Beltway 8 and 3.01 in Hwy 6.
--And better yet, there is NO Mr. Brown in Houston.
x-Californian

Old 10-02-2011, 01:54 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Tele View Post
---And better yet, there is NO Mr. Brown in Houston.
x-Californian
I like that!

x-Houstonian

Old 10-02-2011, 05:00 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Quote:
LMAO!!!

Last time I checked *looks at hands, leans over to mirror* I look black, I'm perceived as black, birth certificate considers me black.

Guess you have to try a different angle now, huh?

Technically, from where I'm standing, in those areas I'm more likely to be unsafe in those areas because crime and incidents tend to be mostly race on race in those areas. You (I'm guessing you're white) would be witnessing something but it would be worst for me because like I said, I'd be a target more than you.
No need to run up the score Blue, I think he/she just threw in the towel. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston