Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 06:41 PM

69 posts, read 406,978 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm so glad that I found this forum! My son who is almost 3 has mild autism. This fall he will start a program in California that has a 50% success rate for mainstreaming children by Kindergarten. They get one on one ABA, speech, and group activities for five hours a day, and then as soon as possible, they start mainstreaming the children for an hour a day with typical children.

We are planning on moving to Houston next summer, and I was hoping to find a comparable school district. We were just visiting, and liked Katy and the Woodlands (Conroe ISD). My husband liked Sienna Plantation in Missouri City (Fort Bend ISD). If anyone can provide any info, it would be greatly appreciated. We do have two other children who are typical (sort of) so we are looking for a school district that is good over all. I'm not familiar with the neighborhoods that feed into Spring Branch, but I will certainly look into it!

Thank You,
Marjorie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 07:37 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Hey Marjorie! You are fortunate where you are--Texas does not have that kind of combo program in public schools yet. However, there are two private schools very close by that work with Autistic kids: Westview and Parish. Parish is geared toward kids with more speech issues, Westview is more generalized for Autism. Both have wonderful reputations and both have shuttles to the ABA clinic down the street (The Shape of Behavior).

Spring Branch ISD neighborhoods on the south side of I-10 are most homes in the 77024 and 77079 zip code. Neighborhoods on the north side of I-10 will be in the 77055, 77043, and 77080 neighborhoods. You can use the zip codes and plug them into HAR.com to find homes in the area.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:14 AM

268 posts, read 1,489,067 times
You can also just click on "Spring Branch" in the column on the left under schoo district (just so you don't miss any houses). The one thing that I noticed in the Spring Branch district was that I couldn't afford any houses that were built within the last 10 years but I could in Katy/Cinco Ranch.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:11 AM

69 posts, read 406,978 times
Thanks! If anyone can help out with info on the Conroe School District, it would be helpful! Also, are there any subdivisions in the Spring Branch district that are especially nice?

Old 09-04-2007, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 10,516 times
Default Clear Creek ISD

Hello Everyone!!

I currently live in Seabrook, TX which is Clear Creek ISD. My son is 4 years old and has been diagnosed with mild autism. Does anyone know if Clear Creek has a good PPCD program, or any information that might be helpful?

Thanks!

Old 09-04-2007, 04:13 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Wow, I have absolutely no idea about that part of town--hopefully someone here can help you out!! Good luck!!

Old 09-04-2007, 04:18 PM

Special Education at Clear Creek ISD (http://www.ccisd.net/sped/staff.html - broken link)

I would talk to the Clear Creek ISD Disability director (see above link) and schedule an ARD meeting to discuss available PPCD services.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:23 PM

44 posts, read 270,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Hello all you parents/friends/aunts/uncles/grandparents of special needs kids, particularly autistic kids:

We just had my daughter evaluated by a wonderful developmental pediatrician down in the med center. He told us that we are in THE best district for PPCD/Pre-K and special needs public school resources. That district is? SPRING BRANCH ISD!

He said "No way" on the following school districts:

Houston ISD
Cy-Fair ISD
Klein ISD
Spring ISD

...and he cautioned about Katy ISD, saying the following: "...they are still pretty good, but they are stretching themselves too thin and special ed is the first to get cut when that happens. It's what happened to Cy-Fair."

Keep in mind that for neurologically typical kids the above school districts are totally FINE, in fact some are GREAT--but for autistic kids, he said you cannot beat Spring Branch ISD.

If anyone has any questions about which schools in particular are best, let me know! IF you'd like to know the name of our dev. pedi, shoot me a PM. He is an MD/PhD that was faculty with MD Anderson before joining the Meyer Clinic at Texas Children's. Now he has his own practice and the wait is NOT anywhere NEAR the Meyer Clinic's 9-12 months! His is only a month wait.

Just thought I'd throw that out there! We are staying put in our condo for now until we can afford a home in our neighborhood (Memorial Plaza, Rustling Oaks, Fonn Villas, Memorial Bend, etc). Our daughter will be going to Wildcat Way Pre-K next fall.
I am not sure how to PM but I'd love your physician's name, we may be moving to the area in the near future and I'm trying to get our ducks in a row. Any other information would be great. thanks

Old 09-05-2007, 03:06 PM

2007 / 2008 - ARD Clinics

ARD Clinics are held from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Family to Family Network Office,13150 FM 529, Suite 106, Houston, TX 77041 (northwest corner of N. Eldridge and FM 529).

The F2F team will be on hand to answer your specific questions so that you can be well prepared for your child’s ARD meetings.

Bring your questions, your child's educational paperwork and a lunch.

Thursday, September 20 – Focus on IEP Goals

Are my child’s IEP goals meeting his or her needs? Learn how to know if your child’s IEP goals are appropriate and how to make changes if they are not. Bring a copy of your child’s IEP to this informative, hands-on meeting.

Tuesday, November 13 – What To Do When You Don’t Agree

Learn the appropriate steps to take when you don’t agree with ARD committee decisions. Also, Dustin Rynders from Advocacy, Inc. will be on hand to explain how to prioritize your concerns and give you information regarding mediation, the complaints process, and due process.

Tuesday, January 15 – Preparing for ARD

Parents are an important part of the ARD committee. Every member of the committee must prepare for ARD meetings, including parents! Learn how to prepare so that you can be an active and involved participant in your child’s ARD meeting. Following a short presentation, we will break into small groups based on subjects of interest to discuss specific needs. Be sure to bring your child’s current ARD document for reference.

Tuesday, March 11 – Early Childhood Transition (From ECI to PPCD)

Parents who have children transitioning from Early Childhood Intervention into the school district or parents who have young children with a disability that are just entering the school district should attend this clinic. Learn how the ARD process works before your first ARD meeting. Be prepared so that you can be the best advocate for your child.

The ARD Clinic is free of charge, but space is limited. Please RSVP as soon as possible to 713-466-6304 or f2fbrenda@sbcglobal.net.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:02 AM

Free 10-Week Education Course for parents & caregivers of children and adolescents with brain disorders. Pre-registration is required.
Bonnie Cord (713) 984-2538
Visions For Tomorrow - Texas NAMI (http://www.namitexasvft.com - broken link)

Upcoming classes (additional classes in the Houston area can be found on the web site):
Sept. 11 - Nov. 13 6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Westheimer & Beltway 8 @ Grace Church

Sept. 13 - Nov. 15 6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. I-10 & Wirt Rd @ Monarch School

Visions for Tomorrow is a curricula that addresses the needs of younger families who have a child or adolescent with a mental illness. Taught by primary caregivers, VFT classes offer families a safe and supportive place to share experiences and learn from other adults who care for children with mental illness. Primary caregivers include not only parents, but grandparents, aunts, uncles, respite care providers and foster parents, as well. By providing education, empathy and empowerment, families will now have the tools to build visions for their family’s tomorrow.

Visions for Tomorrow classes provide information on specific brain disorders such as:

Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Conduct Disorder Bipolar Disorder
Depressive Disorder Eating Disorders Anxiety Disorders
Schizophrenia Post-Traumatic Stress Autism
PTSD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and others

This nationally recognized curricula, which NAMI Texas has shared with 31 states, also offers young family caregivers additional information on accessing school services, IDEA, transition activities and other topics of interest. VFT class can be scheduled in an 8, 10, or 12 week format. There is no charge to families who take this class.

Visions for Tomorrow also builds skills and knowledge in the following areas:
Brain Biology Communication Coping and Self-Care
Problem Management Rehabilitation/Transition Advocacy and Stigma
Organization/Record-Keeping Types of Therapies Juvenile Judicial System

Visions for Tomorrow Professional In-Service
Visions for Tomorrow Professional In-Service is designed to address the needs of those who work with children such as teachers, counselors, mental health care worker, juvenile center employees and other professionals. The goals of the VFT Professional In-Service component include:

1. Educating professionals about the symptoms and treatment of mental illness in children, as well as the impact these brain disorders has on families.
2. Providing a mechanism for NAMI Affliates to partner with local organizations and agencies, build a referral base for Visions for Tomorrow classes, build the local NAMI Affiliates membership base, and generate funds to support the activities of the local Affiliate.

VFT will be available in Spanish in the Spring of 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston