Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:30 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,188,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
I'm probably done seeing concerts except if Eddie Vedder comes to Houston.
That explains alot.

Ronnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 12:43 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,370,011 times
Quote:
ok. you are giving me some tree falling in the forest, noone's seen santa therefore he exist stoner crap. or some inner loop 'youre not looking hard enough' thinking. not sure I cant go there. I think you should say something about your background and mention how houston is a move up for you so i can understand whats up with you. 2nd you might want to read the title or the article in question so we dont have to get into psychoanalysis BS. You of all people heard/read about the better cities you prefer to live in, good for you. now do you think the people in those cities hear about the 'cool' things about Houston the same was you did? houstonians helping Spiderman in a sequel maybe? houston doesnt do PR work, how are people far away hear about its coolness
You're absolutely right. In the age of the internet, how could anybody possibly learn anything about Houston?

My idea of New York isn't some wonderland that I saww on television. Most of my knowledge of the city comes from family and friends who live or have lived there. The more they told me about it, the more I thought about the possibility of living there. The art is the thing I admire most about NY.

Quote:
if you worked in NYC you know many departments moved to houston after 9/11. It was Jersey, then DE, then Houston. Housing became too expensive then the recession started. most people moved with a heavy heart but of course we had to pick our heads up and look at the bright side 'Houston can't be that bad.'
It's pretty bad, in the in many aspects. its really sad. in the NE region, its like snowboarding and other nature adventures (and rallying), then back to NYC nightlife. I also entertained a lot of visitors back then. I also do a bit of amateur car racing. and while TX has the weather for year round racing, the events here are 1:15 compared to the NE, thats simply because more 'cool' people are into it or into 'following rules' like playing chess. I'm probably done seeing concerts except if Eddie Vedder comes to Houston. anytime now.
Anyway, the article is not about me but who the heck moved here because its cool? gays, mexicans, nigerians?

oh and btw, people moving to houston generally means the suburbs outside of houston
I'll level with you. In my personal experience and extended spectrum of cohorts, Houston is generally seen as "cool" mostly by young African Americans, generally speaking. Houston has a decent amount of things that cater to what "we" like to do. There's a large and growing black population, a trendy nightlife scene, a thriving underground music scene, and of course...it's affordable.

"Cool" is a relative term, meaning that your perception of it is not the same as everyone else's. And it sounds like this city isn't for you, so why not go somewhere else? Especially if you're just going to be a killjoy for those of us who do love it here. No offense.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:17 PM

20,526 posts, read 33,623,076 times
Yeah I've met a few young black Chicagoans up here that like Houston and want to move there. These Chicagoans have previously visited to so it's not like they aren't saying it for nothing.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:05 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,584,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
You're absolutely right. In the age of the internet, how could anybody possibly learn anything about Houston?

My idea of New York isn't some wonderland that I saww on television. Most of my knowledge of the city comes from family and friends who live or have lived there. The more they told me about it, the more I thought about the possibility of living there. The art is the thing I admire most about NY.

I'll level with you. In my personal experience and extended spectrum of cohorts, Houston is generally seen as "cool" mostly by young African Americans, generally speaking. Houston has a decent amount of things that cater to what "we" like to do. There's a large and growing black population, a trendy nightlife scene, a thriving underground music scene, and of course...it's affordable.

"Cool" is a relative term, meaning that your perception of it is not the same as everyone else's. And it sounds like this city isn't for you, so why not go somewhere else? Especially if you're just going to be a killjoy for those of us who do love it here. No offense.
Well, I AM NOT BLACK. No offense. Way different culture and values so theres absolutely no way stuff you like is 'cool' to me.
I understand Houston is your new hood or hustle or whatchumacallit. good for you. I really hope you guys stop putting those flyers and postcards on my windshield
As for professionals well, most of us learned/heard about houston from offsite coworkers. I have family here in Houston but I cannot recall them saying anything 'cool' about houston, except maybe that helicopter that drops candies on kids in the suburbs. They just say Houston is a new beginning. No drama, no saleman talk. Sounds good enough to try to me. I've been warned about NOLA invasion tho, and maybe stuff going down 'inside the loop'

Old 11-07-2011, 04:04 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,370,011 times
Quote:
Well, I AM NOT BLACK. No offense. Way different culture and values so theres absolutely no way stuff you like is 'cool' to me.
I understand Houston is your new hood or hustle or whatchumacallit. good for you. I really hope you guys stop putting those flyers and postcards on my windshield
As for professionals well, most of us learned/heard about houston from offsite coworkers. I have family here in Houston but I cannot recall them saying anything 'cool' about houston, except maybe that helicopter that drops candies on kids in the suburbs. They just say Houston is a new beginning. No drama, no saleman talk. Sounds good enough to try to me. I've been warned about NOLA invasion tho, and maybe stuff going down 'inside the loop'
Oh, okay. So all young blacks interested in Houston must be related to the "hood" or "hustla" lifestyle? Got it.

Thanks for wearing your prejudice on your sleeve.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:30 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,825,404 times
Nairobi, I agree. I've never heard any young black Houstonian that I know (yes, I know quite a bit) that says Houston is boring. They like it, and the Houston kids here at A&M want to go back ASAP! LOL! If Houston is every bit of Atlanta or comes close to when it comes tothe black culture like y'all say it does, then I definitely don't see young blacks bashing it.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:46 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,584,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Oh, okay. So all young blacks interested in Houston must be related to the "hood" or "hustla" lifestyle? Got it.

Thanks for wearing your prejudice on your sleeve.
Hey stay with me man. Blacks don't go camping, not into x games, slopes, they have different taste in cars, likes partying on the driveway and laugh at people who might show some disgust... see there's a lot of stereotyping but that's what goes out there, what can you do. Houston doesn't do a good job with its image too so yeah we're back where we started.
What do you AAs like to do anyway?

Old 11-07-2011, 05:14 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,863,443 times
1. Timbomb/SteveArmy/Wizzy, can you please stop hijacking these threads?
2. No, it's not only blacks who think Houston is cool, but perhaps they are just more outspoken.
3. Yes, there are many things cool about Houston. Yes, most of this is inside the Loop. No, Alief is not cool.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:17 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,014,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Alief is not cool.
Alief is not that bad.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:25 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,971,233 times
I don't know if I would call Houston cool, but it for sure has cool spots and things to do. I do feel that it is a much cooler city for Mexican's and African Americans. Most for my Mexican friends would never think of leaving Houston, and the hip hop culture here is thriving. There are also a lot of AA professionals here compared to the places of which I am accustomed. I am happy to have had the opportunity to meet a lot of young black professional women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston