Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 07:13 PM

24 posts, read 86,769 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Houston. I having been searching for information on schools out west and southwest. I have three kids, and am trying to weigh private vs. public-knowing private would be a huge strain on us.
Can anyone explain the Magnet/Charter situation out west? Any recommendations? In general one kid is science/math oriented--- one civics minded (debate and history).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 07:37 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,628 times
I believe HISD is the only district around here that does Magnet schools? Spring Branch is on the west side (but still in the city) Katy, FBISD, Lamar Consolidated, I don't believe have magnet programs.

I just remember you from previous posts looking for small-town living on the west-side and working in Katy. So if that has changed, please forgive me for making assumptions... But I do not believe you will find such magnet programs in the suburban/rural school districts.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:40 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,628 times
I'll add that the schools are good out on the west side here. I'd go public unless there were religious reasons for going private...

Old 11-15-2011, 06:17 AM

Thanks for the reply, my main reason for looking into magnet or private is the smaller size. My kids are currently in a very small public school and the oldest in a small private. So I am trying to make it an easy transition. Thinking the little ones would be fine in a bigger public, but the oldest seems to do really well in a small setting. From what I can tell the schools out west all seem good, but its hard to know from just the internet. While we are focused on education, I think the main focus is just happy kids.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:17 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmhouse1 View Post
Thanks for the reply, my main reason for looking into magnet or private is the smaller size. My kids are currently in a very small public school and the oldest in a small private. So I am trying to make it an easy transition. Thinking the little ones would be fine in a bigger public, but the oldest seems to do really well in a small setting. From what I can tell the schools out west all seem good, but its hard to know from just the internet. While we are focused on education, I think the main focus is just happy kids.
In Houston ISD:
* T. H. Rogers Middle has a small middle school program - it's tough to get into
* Briarmeadow Charter Middle has a small middle program - AFAIK you have to live within the attendance zones of Briargrove, Pilgrim, Piney Point, or Emerson in order to attend

In SBISD:
* Westchester Academy for international studies has about 1,000 for grades 6-12

Old 11-15-2011, 05:32 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
TH Rogers is the best Magnet on the west side. Paul Revere is a magnet school but I wouldnt consider it in a million years. Ive heard good things about Shadowbriar Elem magnet program but not sure if it is small.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:49 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
TH Rogers is the best Magnet on the west side. Paul Revere is a magnet school but I wouldnt consider it in a million years. Ive heard good things about Shadowbriar Elem magnet program but not sure if it is small.
Shadowbriar is a grade 3 through 5 school. It serves a bit over 400 students.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 AM

Thanks to all--super helpful info-much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: