Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,417 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am single, 30 years old white guy, young professional, looking for a decent, relatively new (>2005) single family house (not a condo) south of TMC. I am looking into about $150K to spend and I will probably stay in the house for about 3 years. I was wondering about current status of the area between 610 and 8, along 288. I have checked several neighborhoods in the area and it looks like they have a lot of houses in my price range and some of them look nice. What do you think about the area? I found some posts about City Park community, but all of them are dated 2008-2009 and I guess this area was developed more in the last two years. I also looked at Brunswick Meadows community, but supposedly they have problems with crime and sometimes police is slow to react, because it is technically out of the city limit, even though it has a Houston zip code (hence the Black Hole nickname). Maybe there are some other nice communities nearby. I know, it still lacks in major shopping centers and stuff, but I do not care for the most part. I am very concerned about safety though (crime rate), easy commute to TMC and investment perspective since I am planning to sell it in 3 years. I will appreciate any information, especially from the people currently living there.

There is another new community, South Post Oak Manor near the intersection of S Post Oak Dr and Orem Dr. They have 20+ of new houses ready to buy. Access to TMC is a bit worse, but probably still doable (S Main). What do you think?

P.S. I am also considering Pearland, but the houses, HOA fees and property taxes are considerably more expensive. I am not sure if I want to make such commitment.

Last edited by SquashConvert; 11-30-2011 at 01:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 01:22 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,218,368 times
it's all a toss up....the newer developments off Post Oak between 288 all have good and bad reasons to buy, not to buy...

I know someone in the back of City Park and they love it...the front of City Park with those fake picket fence homes is ugly

Areas off Post Oak near Orem I don't like as they crammed too many homes in that small area..

If you want something older, more established and maybe in a decent range, try the neighborhoods off Post Oak in between Stella Link...close to the loop...trees...everything

Old 11-30-2011, 07:20 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,557 times
Do you have a family? Have you considered a townhome closer to downtown? The budget does make it tough though.

I think City Park is the best out of the options you mentioned. But I really don't anticipate much appreciation in any of those areas for the next 3 years. Especially since those are all 2000 developments, so there are plenty of foreclosures in the area. If you do buy, try to buy a foreclosure that you are purchasing below other comparable homes. It will make it easier to resell and break even in 3 years.

Keep in mind that selling a home will cost you anywhere from 7-10% in closing expenses. From the broker fees, to title insurance, and closing contributions.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:26 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
You have a lot of options, but $150k new construction tends to be (i) a townhome, (ii) really far away, (iii) in a "pioneering" area or (iv) has some other serious flaw such as flooding.

If you're willing to compromise on new construction, you may want to take a peek at some of the homes in Westwood (West of Stella Link, North of Willowbend, South of 610, East of the RR Tracks).

I know the development at S. Post Oak and Orem - I wouldn't recommend that for a TMC commute. I think the area is safe and the people are fine, but S. Post Oak gets really bad in the morning since everyone in Sienna Plantation, Riverbend, Stafford, etc. etc. that is trying to avoid 59 traffic heads North through the intersection of S. Post Oak and Orem.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:02 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
it's all a toss up....the newer developments off Post Oak between 288 all have good and bad reasons to buy, not to buy...

I know someone in the back of City Park and they love it...the front of City Park with those fake picket fence homes is ugly

Areas off Post Oak near Orem I don't like as they crammed too many homes in that small area..

If you want something older, more established and maybe in a decent range, try the neighborhoods off Post Oak in between Stella Link...close to the loop...trees...everything
I agree with this idea. Homes are more likely to hold value here, plus I think it's a safer, more stable neighborhood. I did look into the 288 corridor at one point so I'm familiar with it. I would be concerned about a home there holding its value in the short term.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:39 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquashConvert View Post
I was wondering about current status of the area between 610 and 8, along 288. I have checked several neighborhoods in the area and it looks like they have a lot of houses in my price range and some of them look nice. What do you think about the area?
That's the hood, for lack of a better word. Those new homes = lots black flight from places immediately north.

If you have a car project there are a lot of good junkyards in that area.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:09 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
That's the hood, for lack of a better word. Those new homes = lots black flight from places immediately north.

If you have a car project there are a lot of good junkyards in that area.
Come to think of it, I do see a lot of guys with two cell phones and a pager using pay phones when I drive to the Sunbeam dump.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:25 AM

480 posts, read 1,699,171 times
You should at least look at the Enclave at Southern Trails, 1 mile west of 288. It's in the Pearland city limits and has houses by Newmark and Taylor-Morrison in your price range.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:42 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Come to think of it, I do see a lot of guys with two cell phones and a pager using pay phones when I drive to the Sunbeam dump.

I never noticed guys doing that but that's the exact area I was thinking of. Really that whole region is dotted with places for garbage/trash/waste/recycling. I wonder if it didn't develop because maybe it's in a flood plain?

Old 11-30-2011, 09:42 AM

208 posts, read 552,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquashConvert View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am single, 30 years old white guy, young professional, looking for a decent, relatively new (>2005) single family house (not a condo) south of TMC. I am looking into about $150K to spend and I will probably stay in the house for about 3 years. I was wondering about current status of the area between 610 and 8, along 288. I have checked several neighborhoods in the area and it looks like they have a lot of houses in my price range and some of them look nice. What do you think about the area? I found some posts about City Park community, but all of them are dated 2008-2009 and I guess this area was developed more in the last two years. I also looked at Brunswick Meadows community, but supposedly they have problems with crime and sometimes police is slow to react, because it is technically out of the city limit, even though it has a Houston zip code (hence the Black Hole nickname). Maybe there are some other nice communities nearby. I know, it still lacks in major shopping centers and stuff, but I do not care for the most part. I am very concerned about safety though (crime rate), easy commute to TMC and investment perspective since I am planning to sell it in 3 years. I will appreciate any information, especially from the people currently living there.

There is another new community, South Post Oak Manor near the intersection of S Post Oak Dr and Orem Dr. They have 20+ of new houses ready to buy. Access to TMC is a bit worse, but probably still doable (S Main). What do you think?

P.S. I am also considering Pearland, but the houses, HOA fees and property taxes are considerably more expensive. I am not sure if I want to make such commitment.
Seriously, why mention your age and race? Do you honestly think you are going to find the neighborhood you are looking for in the range of $150,000?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston