Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 02:34 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Austin and SA are connecting but the actual population between the two are still rather small. (just a few hundred thousand).
I lived for a couple of years in NE San Antonio near New Braunfels and Austin and SA are not connecting.
Between Schertz and New Braunfels there's 10 miles of nothing and a lot of people from New Braunfels work in SA.
SA is growing NW and Austin is growing NW too.
As crazy as the traffic is on I-35 between those 2 cities, I guarantee that the last thing they want is more growth there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 02:52 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
Interesting being that Houston Metro has reached Prairie View/Hempstead already which I never thought would happen. I just think it will take a good 20 more years to completely fill in. But with College Station growing who knows. If the Golden Triangle exploded I could definitely see Houston Metro connecting to Beaumont Area. With all the oilfield jobs, I'm struggling to see why Beaumont isn't bigger than what it is now. That city has a lot of potential being so close to Lousiana, the Gulf and Marshlands/Swamps. very scenic.

I see College Station connecting to Houston before the Golden Triangle. B/CS has been exploding while the Golden Triangle has been stagnating to dying.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:00 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,558,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
the Golden Triangle has been stagnating to dying.
has been? It's in the final stages of decomposition .

Old 01-06-2012, 03:14 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Really? The developments in the loop aren't beginning to outpace the suburban subdivisions yet but I think there's a point where people will stop moving further away from the city and commuting.
Maybe, but like I said, we are not there yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I see College Station connecting to Houston before the Golden Triangle. B/CS has been exploding while the Golden Triangle has been stagnating to dying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
has been? It's in the final stages of decomposition .
The Golden Triangle grew last census

Old 01-06-2012, 04:29 PM

169 posts, read 450,171 times
That won't be anytime soon. Eventually the West side will reach a point when people will not want to move out to it's edge because the commute downtown is too far. At that point, the North side will start having the same problem & the South side will stop at the coast. People will begin overloading the currently slower growing industrial east side & find the vast open cattle & ranch lands off I-10 from Baytown to Winnie & beyond a good place to develop more irritating urban sprawl. Then that would reach at tipping point and growth will only be upward as skyscrapers slowly build up and out from the center till they reach the edge and eventually you will be in a smoggy sunless hell of towers & traffic that sucks all the joy out of life as the parks and subdivisions are removed for the growth to continue. Then when the next Ike or Katrina comes ashore most likely 100 times worse by this time in the future due to global warming, the city would be decimated and shot back to the size it was in the 1980's and restart the deadly cycle.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:40 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times
I used to think that it would be cool if all the people who lived out in the burbs lived in the city. But actually, I think it is better to keep them out there. The suburban mindset wouldn't make anything cooler. Big chains, douchey Washington Ave areas, khakis, sweater vests, small minds, etc.

Let's keep the loop cool.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:46 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
This isn't ambitious enough. If we're going to do it, we need to think big. Stretch into LA and Chicago. If we're feeling generous, we'll not raze Dallas and SA in their entirety for more subdivisions, strip malls and office parks.

We might even call them "historic districts."

...What? Don't you like the idea of a Wal-Mart/Chili's/TJ Maxx-travaganza where the Alamo stands today?

Old 01-06-2012, 07:00 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
...What? Don't you like the idea of a Wal-Mart/Chili's/TJ Maxx-travaganza where the Alamo stands today?
The Alamo looks like a Starbucks.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:05 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,355 times
Think I've already addressed this, but there's not a whole lot of undeveloped land between SA and AUS. That WILL eventually grow together..........Hopefully, there will be some alternative form of transport up and down the I-35 corridor.

Houston and Austin..............different situation. Houston and SA more likely in development given the Interstate.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:25 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times
Lol@ whoever said they think Houston and Austin will be connected within 25 years. People don't want to live here in Texas that bad. Plus, after moving to Houston ive realized the Houston area is only eye pleasing inside the loop. I could see more focus inner but continuing stretching outwards with nothing but more chains and cookie homes can only go so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston