Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 08:02 PM

125 posts, read 312,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiobtm View Post
I'm not the one that took the first shot. The days of idiot liberals mouthing off and everyone else politely looking the other way are over.
Pun intended ?.... Oh I get it, they did it first, that's a thoughtful defense. Some would say "idiots" of any political stripe need help and thoughtful people, of any political stripe, don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 08:49 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,829 times
The concealed carry license is something like $100 to $200 depending on where you take the class and the test. Most gun ranges offer a one day, 10 hour course to get it. It is required to be able to carry a handgun, either on your person or in your car except for a few exceptions.

If you are "traveling" in your car and can carry your hand gun in your vehicle when traveling. Its a very loosely defined law however, so its a good idea to keep it out of sight even when traveling.

You can also carry a handgun if you are going to or from shooting sports or events in your car.

Long guns, shotguns and rifles have no such laws and its legal to carry around those.

There are no restrictions for owning or purchasing handguns, and no waiting period in Texas.

I highly recommend Tomball Pawn as a place to purchase. They have the best prices around. Don't let the name scare you off, they are a new gun shop.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:51 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
wow 10 hours Flying to a different state to get it would be cheaper and probably less time consuming

Old 09-12-2009, 06:43 AM

912 posts, read 2,557,147 times
10 hrs doesn't seem like much to get a concealed carry permit.

Of course you could just go and buy a gun and keep it legally in your residence or take it to the range in your vehicle properly stored without any 10hr course whatsoever.

The course seems like a good idea to me although they could probably cover the same ground in less than half the time if it wasn't for the amount of idiots in the world.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:18 AM

36 posts, read 118,875 times
Please take a safety class and lock up your guns when kids are around. I support your right to have guns, but please be responsible and don't act like an idiot just because you have a gun. Many more people die from accidental shootings than you'll ever save from protecting yourself.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:21 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
I'll tell you. The 10 hour class seems short when you actually attend it. Lots of good information about laws, rights and wrongs. Course time with live fire and demonstration of safety. Goes by pretty quick.

Although it was not required, I've taken the course in 3 different states just so I could become familiar with the different laws and more importantly, the different attitudes and ideas of law enforcement in each area.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:36 AM

100 posts, read 305,831 times
Utah CHL covers more states then Texas CHL including Texas. Does not require target shooting, the class is roughly 5 hours, lasts 5 years, class tends to be cheaper, the permit was around 76 dollars, and there are Utah CHL Instructors in Houston (You'll need to ask the instructor on their training prices). If you are knowledgeable with your weapon and laws I would suggest going this route. If not, I would seriously tell you to take the Texas CHL class.

Things to note, don't expect to get your CHL in 60 days, look at roughly 120+ days.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:59 AM

302 posts, read 885,515 times
I don't understand how some people can want to carry their gun around all the time, but NOT want to take the time to learn the laws and practice how to shoot it. Owning and carrying a weapon takes responsibility. Just because it is a "freedom" we are given doesn't mean you (general you) should treat it so lightly. Please take the time to learn how to use your weapon. No one wants to become the victim of another persons idiocy.

It is legal to buy a firearm in Houston, yes. I would much rather people purchase them at places that do make you have a background check, but that is obviously your call. When driving, you may carry your gun in your trunk, but I am unsure if you can only do that if you are driving to places that you need it (range, gun show, etc.). To carry it on your person you need to get your CHL license. If you are any kind of ex military you get a discount, and active duty gets (I believe) the whole license for free. Once you complete your class, it can take a long time (8 months) to get your physical license.

And FYI, finding ammo for certain guns is really hard right now. I work at a place that sells guns and ammo, so I know how fast that 380 goes. Keep that in mind when making your purchase.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:32 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreams View Post
I don't understand how some people can want to carry their gun around all the time, but NOT want to take the time to learn the laws and practice how to shoot it. Owning and carrying a weapon takes responsibility. Just because it is a "freedom" we are given doesn't mean you (general you) should treat it so lightly. Please take the time to learn how to use your weapon. No one wants to become the victim of another persons idiocy.

It is legal to buy a firearm in Houston, yes. I would much rather people purchase them at places that do make you have a background check, but that is obviously your call. When driving, you may carry your gun in your trunk, but I am unsure if you can only do that if you are driving to places that you need it (range, gun show, etc.). To carry it on your person you need to get your CHL license. If you are any kind of ex military you get a discount, and active duty gets (I believe) the whole license for free. Once you complete your class, it can take a long time (8 months) to get your physical license.

And FYI, finding ammo for certain guns is really hard right now. I work at a place that sells guns and ammo, so I know how fast that 380 goes. Keep that in mind when making your purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD24DDDD View Post
Please take a safety class and lock up your guns when kids are around. I support your right to have guns, but please be responsible and don't act like an idiot just because you have a gun. Many more people die from accidental shootings than you'll ever save from protecting yourself.
Good advice & points, I also have a CHL but I don't see the need to carry my guns around everywhere I go, and I definitely see no need to play Wana-b-cop lol.

btw, I'm an Independent(who voted for Obama) that owns plenty of guns Sorry I just think there's more to life than guns & ammo

Old 09-13-2009, 06:31 AM

161 posts, read 474,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiobtm View Post
Some people are victims because they do not have the ability to defend themselves. Some people are victims because they choose not to defend themselves.

I have been around many victims who were in agony because of what had happened to them or their loved ones. I'm sure in many cases that a few short hours before they felt supremely confident and superior in their liberal shortsightedness.

I carry a weapon because there are people in this world who are quite happy to use force to impose their will on those that are weaker than them.

It isn't likely I will ever need to use it but I might. I choose not to be a victim. I will even protect the sorry hides of those that are too naive or too busy being morally superior, to take responsibility for their own lives.
You are horribly wrong! Even trained police marksmen with 10 years' solid experience, only ever hit their intended target 30% of the time! In fact if you have a gun at home, you are 100 times more likely to shoot a loced one or have your own gun used on you, than you are to shoot any intruder. America has 40,000 gun homicides a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: