Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,471 times

Advertisements

Check different school district websites for statistics and demographics. Have you been preapproved for a loan? You might find with the interest rates so low you might also afford a little more. Also check tax rates, these vary in different subdivisions which could lower your payment with a lower tax rate. I am a realtor if you are in need of someone to help you, I would be glad to help with your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 02:44 PM

73 posts, read 141,553 times
Thanks you for your service. Remember, that you can attend The University Center in The Woodlands in lieu of going to the ACTUAL UH campus if you find the right program. It looks like there is a satellite campus off of 249 by HP now as well. You can get your basics locally, then transfer to UH. You may have to commute at some point, but it's worth a look. As for cities to move to, check out Magnolia or Cypress. Lots of white folks in both areas, probably better schools in Cypress. I bought a new home in Cypress (1700-ish SF) for $135,000 in 2007 and the homes that are for sale in that neighborhood with the same SF are priced in the 120's.

Good luck.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:19 PM

433 posts, read 702,220 times
Fantastic! Mention military and you get a free pass!

Looking for mainly white neighborhood in houston

Old 01-15-2012, 04:45 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,492,401 times
Default Not really..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex N Cal View Post
Thanks you for your service. Remember, that you can attend The University Center in The Woodlands in lieu of going to the ACTUAL UH campus if you find the right program. It looks like there is a satellite campus off of 249 by HP now as well. You can get your basics locally, then transfer to UH. You may have to commute at some point, but it's worth a look. As for cities to move to, check out Magnolia or Cypress. Lots of white folks in both areas, probably better schools in Cypress. I bought a new home in Cypress (1700-ish SF) for $135,000 in 2007 and the homes that are for sale in that neighborhood with the same SF are priced in the 120's.

Good luck.
Right program? He already said it's Electrical Engineering...

Welcome to UH-Northwest Campus

Or

University of Houston System at Sugar Land

And ( many not offered by UH but by UH Victoria.. not the same.. )

University of Houston System - Cinco Ranch

Can not find anything about "University Center" in The Woodlands. The only option is a CC for the first 2 years, but then you would have to move because the traffic is too bad. Nobody wants to commute from TW, SL or Katy to UH every day..

Old 01-15-2012, 07:37 PM

18,142 posts, read 25,337,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03infantry View Post
The reason I don't look in Conroe is because I still have siblings that attend CISD schools in Conroe and have been told by my family that it has turned into northern Mexico. That is not where I want to raise my children.
To go straight to the point, what percentage are you trying to find?
Because there's nowhere in Houston where it's going to be higher than 50%, where you can buy a house in the 120s.

BTW, what is your list of priorities?
Is the "white community" the highest priority on your list?
Because you could live in Tomball and commute into Houston
The nightmare that is Hwy 290 - City-Data Forum (Actually, 249 looks worse that 290 to me)

Last edited by Dopo; 01-15-2012 at 07:45 PM..

Old 01-15-2012, 10:58 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,682,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny77 View Post
please dont come to houston.
I'll take a man who devotes eight years of his life literally risking life and limb fighting for our country as a neighbor any day. You can have the "Occupy" filth.

http://www.mrctv.org/videos/will-media-report-racism-and-anti-semitism-occupy-wall-street-protests (broken link)

Old 01-16-2012, 01:06 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,999,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
To go straight to the point, what percentage are you trying to find?
Because there's nowhere in Houston where it's going to be higher than 50%, where you can buy a house in the 120s.

BTW, what is your list of priorities?
Is the "white community" the highest priority on your list?
Because you could live in Tomball and commute into Houston
The nightmare that is Hwy 290 - City-Data Forum (Actually, 249 looks worse that 290 to me)
249 is awesome. It can get traffic-y but I LOVE people who drive! Drive! Those cornfed looking guys in pickups don't tailgate but get the eff from around you to get on to Tomball, LOL.

290 is scary as hell. I see a handful of 18 wheelers on 249. On 290, they're going 90 and tailgating like crazy. I'm so tempted to call those "How am I driving" numbers and give them a piece. 290 is rickety as hell and SO freaking narrow these fools are tailgating? I'm convinced they just gave them a pass on the Class B because these guys cannot drive.

290's concrete drives me crazy. It's heaven when you finally get to 610 because you're finally on something smooth. And you know it's bad when you prefer 610 over something.

And I've never see so many diesels NOT signal. Yes you're big and we see you switching lanes but I'm IN the lane you're switching to and right next to you.

I see car accidents flashes *knock on wood* when I'm on 290 so I stay off now.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 AM

4 posts, read 5,206 times
Default A ton of help...

@rb4browns - Thank you! I will definitely give Cheryl a call. You put it perfectly, that is a huge concern of ours, not really the ethnic makeup but the crime stats. I guess me putting the ethnic makeup really upset some people.

A little background.... I was born in Houston and for the first 10 years of my life raised out in the Cut and Shoot area. Father then moved us to River Plantation in Conroe. Four years there and my parents split. So being all that my mother could afford we lived in apartments off of South Frasier in Conroe.

@DejaBlue - Thank you! My mother now lives in Cut and Shoot and I think it is really nice. However my wife doesn't want country living, she wants for like Spring or The Woodlands. My father still lives in River Plantation and has sent me several homes in his area, the only down fall there is that he has his kids in a private school. He told me that the school system in Conroe has changed since I graduated ten years ago. He said some of the schools are changing the way they teach because of the ethnic makeup.

@bjriley - Thank you! We have not been pre approved yet, we are talking with a loan expert now. Our problem is we don't have a lot of credit history. You are right, we might be approved for more and that would be great! However, I don't want to get my hopes up. My brother lives in Spring with his wife and has been helping me with the tax rates in different area.

@Tex N Cal - Thank you! Being that I have just a little college under my belt, I don't think I will get accepted into U of H yet. I plan to attend Lone Star first to knock out all my basics. I don't know what the area just south of the Woodlands is called but we have found several properties that are in our price range there, but don't know what schools they would attend in that area... I guess I will have to ask a realtor.

@Dopo - Thank you! My number one priority is finding a home that is in a good school district for my children with a very low crime rate.

Thank you everyone for your input and all your help. My family really appreciates it. This is a huge step in our life, and I want my kids to have the best we can offer!

Old 01-16-2012, 08:28 PM

73 posts, read 141,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Right program? He already said it's Electrical Engineering...

Welcome to UH-Northwest Campus

Or

University of Houston System at Sugar Land

And ( many not offered by UH but by UH Victoria.. not the same.. )

University of Houston System - Cinco Ranch

Can not find anything about "University Center" in The Woodlands. The only option is a CC for the first 2 years, but then you would have to move because the traffic is too bad. Nobody wants to commute from TW, SL or Katy to UH every day..
Here ya go, Numbnuts! Work on those Google skills... University Center

Classes are offered by six different colleges at Lone Star College - The University Center for a myriad of degrees, even MA/MBA. The college instructors usually commute to TUC for classes or some teach by video. Now, I didn't see "Electrical Engineering," but the OP may be interested in other similar programs. If anything has changed, I apologize, but I received my degree this way and spent a year at TUC without EVER having to drive to the main campus.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,225 times
We are relocating to Atlanta GA, and have trying to sell our house. The last people to look at it said it was too big! It is only about 1850 sq ft. I love it, I love the schools!!! My kids are 6 and 8 yrs. The bus stop is one block from my house. I am south of Tomball, about 1 mile north of Spring Cypress. This is the house.
11438 Log Cabin Ln, Tomball, TX 77375 - HAR.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston