Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:53 PM

166 posts, read 899,140 times

Advertisements

It seems these threads on home alarm systems pop up quite often along with water softener questions... gotta chime in as a happy customer for 3+ years with my vote for SMITH THOMPSON.

For water softeners: Kinetico

And no, I don't have any financial interest or association with these other than being a satisfied customer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 08:01 AM

594 posts, read 1,249,201 times
We also use Smith Thompson after my husband put together a spreadsheet of the costs of a few options. We had a pre-existing system, just wanted it set up with our code and monitored. We are very happy and will be staying with them.

And we always arm it when we're out and at night. For the same "skull ventilation" reason stated above

Old 01-27-2012, 11:10 AM

168 posts, read 470,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C62012 View Post
I'm looking for a new alarm/security system to install in my home since my current one is completely dead. i have been w/ ADT but I cancelled my acct. due to that fact they want to charge $123 for the first HALF HOUR & we all know they will not take 30 mins. so I have no attachment with the company.

I have changed my battery so that's not the problem. (It's probably the transformer but none the less, a tech has to come out to look at it) Since I do not have a contract with them, I am leaving ADT.

What company would you refer & is a good company? I have heard there are company's that are less than $30.00 but want to know if I can trust them. Let me know what you think!

Also, since I already have a system in the house, would it interfere with a new one; such as wiring. would it be a lot of work for the new company to install since ADT wires are already inside the walls?
I have ADT and I have not been very happy with them. I have had two false alarms so far but the alarm was going off for at least 5 minutes and no one ever called me nor did any police show up at my residence. If you get a monitored alarm system you might as well have it set to automatically call you first so you can call the police. ADT sucks.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:26 PM

60 posts, read 69,263 times
Looks like I'll be hiring Smith Thompson! thanks for the input. My current alarm system (ADT) is broken. (it's not the battery, I am assuming it is this other power outlet I have that I am to plug in...but I could be wrong)

I called Smith Thompson & they gave me a couple of possible quotes & the prices were reasonable. 1. change key pad & computer pad. 2) entire new system--($299.00) 3) change the transformer if that's the problem--didn't get a price on this.

I hope the system I have now won't be a big deal to fix...(such as it was a transformer problem or something & Smith Thompson would be able to replace it without costing $$$)

Old 01-29-2012, 05:16 PM

13 posts, read 26,772 times
We've been very happy with Turbo. Had them for years monitoring our properties.

They now tie into Alarm.com, meaning that you can arm/disarm and administer via the web or even your iPhone.

And, I can't say enough good things about the Bellaire Police Department. They were at our house within 3 minutes of getting the call from the monitoring. It was a false alarm, but it was nice to know how quickly they can respond.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:11 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,530,564 times
There was a big sale yesterday on Amazon for a fake/simulated real-looking security camera. It came with security stickers too...pretty cool...a good deterrent. Just something to consider.

Last edited by JL; 01-29-2012 at 07:31 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 12:52 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,584,257 times
Price seems real good with Smith Thompson. They told me my keypad isn't compatiable, so that was $30 and new board $20, and the wireless unit was $50, so like $105 to get it working with them. Which isn't too bad.

I went with CSG Systems, $35 a month for the wireless monitoring. Warranty on anything with my system, all equipment is compatiable. Also got them to install a camera and wire it up to a monitor for me.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,440 times
Hi. I think all you have to be really sure of is that home alarm system's feedbacks or rating according to some customers who also used that particular home alarm system you wish to buy... some could be expensive, but their could some other chances that it'd still be a rip-off.
PS, an advice from a fellow buyer who just got ripped off recently.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:15 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,022,504 times
I canceled mine to save 50/month and instead invested in a gun and wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston