Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 5,263 times

Advertisements

Hello all:

Nice forum going here.

I bought a house last year as foreclosure property. I was wondering if I can protest with HCAD to reduce the appraisal value to my purchase price this year. Any response will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 01:17 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,596,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shah123 View Post
Hello all:

Nice forum going here.

I bought a house last year as foreclosure property. I was wondering if I can protest with HCAD to reduce the appraisal value to my purchase price this year. Any response will be appreciated.

Thanks.
You can if it is actually lower than what they are appraising it for.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:21 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,870,729 times
You can try, and you should get it lowered somewhat. I protest every year, and everyone probably should if their home is appraised at more than they paid or more than your neighbors. But they are not, from what I understand, automatically dropping them to the foreclosure purchase prices, but rather a more comparable value to your neighboring properties if it is overvalued. They don't consider a foreclosure sale to be a reflection of the true value of a house anymore.

Good luck!

Old 02-08-2012, 01:22 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
Quote:
Hello all:

Nice forum going here.

Thanks.
The only way I know to reduce the appraised value in this situation is if you can show the appraised values in the neighborhood are below what you paid for it.

As you probably know Texas is a non disclosure state so your actual contract and amount you paid is not public record. That said my experience in Plano was they estimated the price close to what I paid. If you didnt buy this foreclosure through MLS you might stand a chance of the price you paid not being discovered and if you can claim a lower price due to neighboring properties or the income method used. Consider hiring one of the firms which represent home owners for 1/2 of the amount of taxes saved in one year from their efforts to lower your appraised value. I tried this in Plano but we couldnt find a basis for a lower value.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
You can if it is actually lower than what they are appraising it for.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is much lower.

They don't argue that the condition of the house could be bad?? Do they lower it to the purchase price? Now this house is made in 2005 so it is not too old, but the condition of the carpet and the walls was bad. I had to replace the carpet and paint the wall. Other than that the house was in good condition.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:25 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,596,321 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is much lower.

They don't argue that the condition of the house could be bad?? Do they lower it to the purchase price? Now this house is made in 2005 so it is not too old, but the condition of the carpet and the walls was bad. I had to replace the carpet and paint the wall. Other than that the house was in good condition.
Did you have an Agent assist you with your purchase, if so he or she can pull comps for you.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
The only way I know to reduce the appraised value in this situation is if you can show the appraised values in the neighborhood are below what you paid for it.

As you probably know Texas is a non disclosure state so your actual contract and amount you paid is not public record. That said my experience in Plano was they estimated the price close to what I paid. If you didnt buy this foreclosure through MLS you might stand a chance of the price you paid not being discovered and if you can claim a lower price due to neighboring properties or the income method used. Consider hiring one of the firms which represent home owners for 1/2 of the amount of taxes saved in one year from their efforts to lower your appraised value. I tried this in Plano but we couldnt find a basis for a lower value.
I already use a service like this for my primary residence. But since for this newly bought foreclosure property, the difference between the appraised value and my purchase price is huge, I was trying to get this done myself for this year. The huge difference in the price makes the efforts well worth it. After this year I will hand it over to that service provider.

I guess it is time to have my realtor run comps. I was gonna do that anyway, but I was just wondering if HCAD officially accepts the foreclosure purchase price as the new appraised value. Then I wouldn't have to worry about collecting the comps etc.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:34 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
I guess it is time to have my realtor run comps. I was gonna do that anyway, but I was just wondering if HCAD officially accepts the foreclosure purchase price as the new appraised value. Then I wouldn't have to worry about collecting the comps etc.
No they don't. If the purchase price is not far off from the appraised value they will usually accept that but the appraisal tax value is officially based on market value not purchase price. Otherwise a parent could "sell" their house to a child for a dollar and have them paying no taxes.

What you can do is change the condition grade, which automatically adjusts the comp market value by some formula. Condition grades are factored into comps and if the other houses in your area are grade A and you have your house at grade C due to needed repairs then your appraisal will be scaled down from the comp value. You'll need to show evidence of this such as damage photos and repair estimates. Keep in mind this will show on your hcad listing and will be a big negative in buyer's minds should you wish to sell.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:41 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,732,304 times
This does not work for foreclosures, see DiverTodds comments above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: