Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:11 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times

Advertisements

Fulshear, SW of Katy has a development called Fulbrook. The developer put regs in place to minimize resident generated light polution. It also is not near a good sized town yet so its sky views now are excellent.

Its a jewel of a development in many ways but a higher end community too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 09:28 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,162 times
There's way too much 'light pollution' in and around Houston to see the Milky Way, and that includes places like the George Observatory and Katy. Not only that, but even relatively bright stars are hard to see in this urban area.

Going out 80 miles or so from the city center though should get a person far enough away, assuming they are not near a city. A person wouldn't have to go as far as the Davis Mountains, but it's true that remote places in west Texas would have the darkest skies in the state.

Most people in the Houston area have no idea what the night sky can look like, and how many stars can be seen when far away from the city lights...

Old 02-15-2012, 02:23 AM

3 posts, read 6,989 times
Thanks guys for all your responses, much appreciated. Gotta say I'm relieved about the spiders and excited about the other wildlife!

I'm actually from England and I should be moving over soon for a few years because of a new job.

Thanks again!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:58 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralGalaxy View Post
Thanks guys for all your responses, much appreciated. Gotta say I'm relieved about the spiders and excited about the other wildlife!

I'm actually from England and I should be moving over soon for a few years because of a new job.

Thanks again!
The Texas gulf coast is a bird watchers haven. The areas tend to be well out of Houston but within a couple of hours drive for a weekend trip to see birds if that is of interest. I know small dog owners in Fulbrook near Fulshear, which is South West of the city Katy, have to be careful with large birds. One friend has a small dog with claw marks on him where clearly a bird had tried to make away with him.

Bird watchers from all over the US come to this area during certain times of the year.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:50 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
The Texas gulf coast is a bird watchers haven. The areas tend to be well out of Houston but within a couple of hours drive for a weekend trip to see birds if that is of interest. I know small dog owners in Fulbrook near Fulshear, which is South West of the city Katy, have to be careful with large birds. One friend has a small dog with claw marks on him where clearly a bird had tried to make away with him.

Bird watchers from all over the US come to this area during certain times of the year.
I'm just recently taking some interest in birding. Do you recommend any groups/websites for Texas gulf coast bird watching?

Old 06-01-2013, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 890 times
Hey,

Were you able to find some good spots around Houston dark enough to see milky-way? I am interested in night sky photography and looking for a good spot near by.

Thanks...

Old 06-02-2013, 08:54 AM

764 posts, read 1,421,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleuva View Post
Hey,

Were you able to find some good spots around Houston dark enough to see milky-way? I am interested in night sky photography and looking for a good spot near by.

Thanks...
I've never seen the Milky Way in the 17 years I've lived in the Houston area. I've lived as far out as Plantersville and even though it was pretty dark out there, I still couldn't see the Milky Way. My experience has been that even if you get can far enough away from the light pollution, neighbors's security lights and stuff and really impede your stargazing. Even Magnolia had a glow in the sky above it.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:08 PM

137 posts, read 217,793 times
I live just west of Fulshear (and Fulbrook) in Weston Lakes. Previously, I've lived in four different homes in Katy in the last 30 years.

I was amazed at the stars when I moved out here. On a clear moonless night, particularly in cold weather, the Milky Way can be seen in all its glory. Yes, the Houston glow can be seen to the east. But it's the best view of the sky I've seen in years. I'm sure it only gets better going further west.

We have plenty of spiders (and other insects and critters) out this way. But a 2" spider is rare (and scary).

The hummingbirds out here have been a pleasant surprise. I kid you not, during the 2011 drought (our first year out here), we had 20+ hummers at our feeders constantly in August and September. And I love this... we have hummers daily through the winter. (That's quite a treat for holiday visitors.) Even with a few cold nights in the high 20's, they stuck around the past two winters. I was just about to take the last feeder down this weekend (plenty of hummingbird and butterfly-friendly flowers in the yard now). But the weak cold front must have stalled some migrating stragglers. I'll keep the feeder up until they thin out again... only to start up in earnest again in two months.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:23 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
We are in Fulshear. Lots of stars on a clear night but i have not noticed the milky way. Maybe i need to actually look for it.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:48 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
This isn't too far away from Katy;

George Observatory

By the way, at the park they'll tell you all about spiders as well.
Gators too. But the spider webs that you'll see in the trees if you go off the beaten track ARE quite impressive.

I don't recall ever seeing the Milky Way, but you will see all of the major stars and constellations, especially on clear nights in the winter when there is less water vapor in the air. The rest of the year you'll see stars but not as many. Still, you can look forward to frequent viewings of the Aurora Houstonalis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston