Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 03:12 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsSpiderWeb View Post
I'm not saying that we need 20 valedictorians or that everyone deserves a trophy. That's silly. All I'm saying is that more homework doesn't ALWAYS equal a better education. I had less homework in college than I did in high school. I also didn't attend the same class everyday. I also didn't spend all of my college class time learning how to pass a standardized test. So does that mean that university education is worthless?
"Depends upon where you went (said the Teasip to the Aggie [or vice-versa])."

Ronnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 03:28 PM

123 posts, read 258,100 times
And while we're at it, I find it funny that anyone would think that arguing against tons of homework in favor of allowing time for my children to learn a sport, read the classics, play an instrument or spend time as a family is coddling. Doing 2 hours of math worksheets, then reading Charles Dickens, then going on a nature walk to catalog plants is a much better education than sitting at a table doing worksheets all evening everyday.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:32 PM

123 posts, read 258,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
"Depends upon where you went (said the Teasip to the Aggie [or vice-versa])."

Ronnie

Ha ha. I think you know exactly what I'm getting at. The university model is much more efficient than the PS model. That's all I'm trying to say.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:14 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350days View Post
I am usually all over people, who posts racist comments on here instead of posting ones that are actually helpful. I don't think Dionne7 was being racist. Obviously you haven't read the news a couple years ago about Catholic schoold being closed in predominately Hispanic and African American communities due to low performance and low enrollment in Houston yet ones were being built in affluent neighborhoods. Catholic schools have been closing and consolidating all over the country due to money being paid out to settle law suits in sexual abuse cases. As for Montessori you need to do your homework. The whole philosophy is to mix age groups with the goal of older kids teaching younger kid.
Yes, but not what that person posted, which was something like mixing kindergarteners with 2nd graders. K is with primary, the younger kids. 1st grade is with 2nd and 3rd. So thanks, but I've done my homework. This has gotten way off topic, speaking of homework. My point, in my original post, was that St. Catherine's Montessori (not Catholic schools in general, not Montessori schools in general) has a particular attitude about homework, which is that minimal homework is best.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:13 AM

23,986 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Good teachers and smaller classes would go a long way in reducing homework. Most of it is just busy work anyway. What are the kids supposed to be learning?

Many years ago, the district my kids were in had a set night for homework per department. English on Monday, math on Tuesday, etc. The kids had about 20 minutes and that was it. It was good enough to get them into UT and Rice.

Competent teachers count for a lot. If a kid just listens in class with a good teacher, they should be able to make a B. I'd rather my tax money go to good teachers than to Pearson.

Not all Montessori is created equal. Maria did not franchise. Just about anybody can call themselves a Montessori school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: