Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 04:13 PM

30 posts, read 140,043 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I work from home, but working at home all the time gets boring and isolating really fast. So I'm looking for someplace where I can sit down with my laptop, plug it in, and enjoy an affordable meal.

Starbucks is okay but sometimes I want actual food and not just coffee.

Panera Bread is someplace that I go often, but their food is full of salt and their serving sizes are getting smaller and smaller. Plus I feel like I'm eating "processed" food instead of "real" food.

I would love a restaurant that serves "home-cooked" style food, with someplace to plug in my laptop. That's the other issue. Some restaurants have free wifi, but nowhere to plug in your laptop.

I have also tried one of the Tea Houses and I liked it...plenty of places to plug in my laptop...I also enjoyed the teas...but the food left a lot to be desired.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 04:22 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,586,840 times
WiFi - Wireless Internet Access Hot Spots in Houston - B4-U-EAT

Old 02-18-2012, 04:25 PM

Thank you, but rather than hunting through this list, I would prefer to hear from someone that has first-hand experience of a particular hotspot that they like. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
McDonalds. Most restaurants do not want you taking up table space other than normal needed to eat.That is why internet cafes to draw customers for higher than normal prices are a sales pitch method really.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:39 PM

Yeah, but McDonald's doesn't have anywhere to plug your laptop in. Plus have you seen their prices lately??? I can eat at Red Lobster or even a Chinese restaurant for only a few bucks more.

So what internet cafes are you referring to?

Old 02-18-2012, 07:04 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,869,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmwealth View Post
Yeah, but McDonald's doesn't have anywhere to plug your laptop in. Plus have you seen their prices lately??? I can eat at Red Lobster or even a Chinese restaurant for only a few bucks more.

So what internet cafes are you referring to?
I plug in at McDonald's all the time. I'm not the only one. I often see several people plugged in at McDonald's. Try the remodeled locations. I often plug in at Starbucks too but I've found McDonald's to be a little more comfortable because Starbucks are pretty small and crowded. I also used to go to the tea house on Dunvale but it's been a long time since I've been there.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:09 PM

Really? I very rarely go to McDonald's, but when I take road trips sometimes I'll stop at one. The last time I tried to depend on McDonald's for internet access was about 2008. I know it sounds like ancient times but McD's used to have Boingo wifi access then.

So I'll check again. I live near a McD's (who doesn't??) so I'll check to see if they have any outlets.

I'm still looking for a spot with decent food though. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:12 PM

Right now I'm at Panera Bread. The serving size didn't seem too bad, but it may depend on location. One time I ordered the French Onion soup and the container was so small I felt jipped (sp?).

But anyhow I guess Panera Bread will have to do for now. :-)

Old 02-18-2012, 07:37 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,835,170 times
Get a Verizon MiFi card and an external battery for your computer and then you can eat anywhere you want.

McDonald's? Yuck!

Old 02-18-2012, 07:39 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,586,840 times
Library I think 59 diner has Wifi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston