Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,468 times

Advertisements

Hello, new to the board though I've used it in the past. I'm heavily considering a move to Houston and want to get some unbiased input from those who are currently there. I'm currently a project manager for a contractor on the East Coast and am going through a divorce. I am from houston, though i havent been living there since the 90s hence my question.

Would it be difficult for me to lock down a good job, paying a decent wage (lets call this decent wage anywhere from 45-60K+)?

I have few contacts there and no desire to work in the oil/gas industry. Am I wasting my time?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 07:34 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bin1976 View Post
Hello, new to the board though I've used it in the past. I'm heavily considering a move to Houston and want to get some unbiased input from those who are currently there. I'm currently a project manager for a contractor on the East Coast and am going through a divorce. I am from houston, though i havent been living there since the 90s hence my question.

Would it be difficult for me to lock down a good job, paying a decent wage (lets call this decent wage anywhere from 45-60K+)?

I have few contacts there and no desire to work in the oil/gas industry. Am I wasting my time?

Thanks!
Best large city economy in the country. While that isnt saying much compared to most of the country, Houston oil and gas is in one of those booms like some of the biggest in the past like late 70;s Im an oil and gas headhunter and experienced staffing is scarce and jobs plentiful and pay great because they are not easy to qualify for. Need to know engineering and high tech heavy construction and not be afraid of managing risks. These are the things that make the jobs pay well. PM me is you would like more info on jobs etc...

Old 02-21-2012, 07:49 PM

61 posts, read 141,377 times
From the Dallas Fed: http://dallasfed.org/research/update...12/hou1202.pdf

Or from Miley Cyrus:
I got my hands up
They're playing my song
I know I'm gonna be ok
Yeah-Eh-Yeah-Eh-Yeah-Eh
It's a party in the U.S.A.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:24 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Best large city economy in the country. While that isnt saying much compared to most of the country, Houston oil and gas is in one of those booms like some of the biggest in the past like late 70;s Im an oil and gas headhunter and experienced staffing is scarce and jobs plentiful and pay great because they are not easy to qualify for. Need to know engineering and high tech heavy construction and not be afraid of managing risks. These are the things that make the jobs pay well. PM me is you would like more info on jobs etc...
Actually, Houston isn't in the top 10. That honor goes to a little place Houstonians go for fun about 2 and half hours west of here.

Milken Institute Publications - Research Reports - Best-Performing Cities 2011

Old 02-21-2012, 08:26 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Actually, Houston isn't in the top 10. That honor goes to a little place Houstonians go for fun about 2 and half hours west of here.

Milken Institute Publications - Research Reports - Best-Performing Cities 2011

Yes come on down to San Antonio. We are the call center capital of the world!

Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 PM

Milken wasnt he the bond guy who went to prison for misleading? I base my claim on job adds, which Houston leads and is positioned to continue to lead as oil and gas drives the demand. What exactly is Milken basing his claim on?

Old 02-21-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
Yes come on down to San Antonio. We are the call center capital of the world!
Congratulations arent those the jobs being outsourcing to India etc as low value add and easy to outsource.....not high paying jobs my friend

Old 02-21-2012, 08:34 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,685 times
Quote:
Congratulations arent those the jobs being outsourcing to India etc as low value add and easy to outsource.....not high paying jobs my friend

What are you talking about...we are making 8 dollars an hour and driving tricked out 92 Nissan Sentras!!

Old 02-21-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
What are you talking about...we are making 8 dollars an hour and driving tricked out 92 Nissan Sentras!!
Where do I sign up?

Old 02-21-2012, 08:48 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times
Quote:
Milken wasnt he the bond guy who went to prison for misleading? I base my claim on job adds, which Houston leads and is positioned to continue to lead as oil and gas drives the demand. What exactly is Milken basing his claim on?
That came from Forbes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston