Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 03:07 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
We moved the other way......Houston to Atlanta.....back in the day. I hate Houston for many reasons, but can't deny it's the place to be in terms of jobs and affordable housing. They have some awesome sports/concert facilities there, too, and if you love heat and humidity (WAY worse than ATL) then you're definitely heading in the right direction.
How far back in the day? I started coming here often in 1998 and absolutely hated it. When I got transferred to Houston in 2003 I absolutely did not want to come. However, in the time between 1998 and 2003 the city improved dramatically. Midtown sprung up, Montrose was coming along nicely, the Heights was coming into its own, etc. Since 2003 it has continued to improve, so much so that when we had a choice of where in the US we wanted to move back to last year, we chose Houston. This coming from someone who grew up in Chicago and had previously lived in the NYC area, London, Paris, Brussels, Seoul, Singapore, Bangkok so an old hand where it comes to top cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 05:41 PM

312 posts, read 798,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BohemianMe View Post
Oooh, I am shocked to see your replies, as I posted so long ago! THANK YOU to everyone who replied, especially MikeyAusmus. The time you took is very much appreciated. I was feeling a little nervous today (out of no where), but all of your posts have re-ignited my excitement!

@micmac99, I live off of Highland and Freedom Parkway. I walk my dog through Little 5 Points often (to give you a better idea of my proximity).

Thanks for the well wishes! I am excited about my next phase in life!!
Glad you find the comments helpful. Sounds like Midtown/Neartown/Montrose would be worth a hard and careful look. Drive along Allen Parkway if you can, and up and down Waugh and West Gray. There is a Whole Foods on Waugh and West Dallas. Anywhere where there is a Whole Foods is generally either a good neighborhood, or will be.

Upper Kirby is also a district just to the south of all this, that might be good to drive through as well. In that district there is a Whole Foods at Kirby and West Alabama.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:09 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
How far back in the day? I started coming here often in 1998 and absolutely hated it. When I got transferred to Houston in 2003 I absolutely did not want to come. However, in the time between 1998 and 2003 the city improved dramatically. Midtown sprung up, Montrose was coming along nicely, the Heights was coming into its own, etc. Since 2003 it has continued to improve, so much so that when we had a choice of where in the US we wanted to move back to last year, we chose Houston. This coming from someone who grew up in Chicago and had previously lived in the NYC area, London, Paris, Brussels, Seoul, Singapore, Bangkok so an old hand where it comes to top cities.
1987. I'm fully aware that Houston has changed a lot since then.....matter of fact, I have seen it first hand during multiple visits with friends.They've done a great job building up the town, but that part of the country couldn't be any less appealing to me......unless we're talking about the great housing prices, which just can't be beat. I can definitely see why it's so tempting for families looking to get the most for their money.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BohemianMe View Post
Thanks Northerner, how are you enjoying Atlanta?
I am actually in northern Michigan now. Lived in the Atlanta metro for 20 years (including 3 awesome years in Buckhead as a single professional). I loved Atlanta for the most part, especially the beautiful topography in and around town, but have always been a midwesterner at heart, and came back to Mich. 5 years ago to start a family. I like to joke that all the southerners told me to "Go home" for years.....so I finally did!

Not discouraging your move to Houston by any means, despite what some people on here are saying.....just think it's good for people to get as much input as possible if they have questions, which you obviously do. Houston did not become the city it is by being a bad place....it just isn't for everyone.......but not every place is, right?

Old 04-22-2012, 12:16 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
1987. I'm fully aware that Houston has changed a lot since then.....
That would be an understatement. It's different (better) than just 5 years ago, and you're talking 25 years! You should did seem to be know-it-all and opinionated in another thread considering this huge disclosure you left out...

Old 04-22-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
That would be an understatement. It's different (better) than just 5 years ago, and you're talking 25 years! You should did seem to be know-it-all and opinionated in another thread considering this huge disclosure you left out...
Oh, don't get me wrong, I still detest the mere thought of living there. It takes more than a bunch of shiny buildings, 10 lane freeways, and consistently bad sports teams to impress me. I feel my participation in this conversation is justified at least in part because I have lived in the Houston area previously.

As for knowing it all......maybe I do and maybe I don't.....but it's abundantly clear that some people don't like being told anything besides what they want to hear. An opinion of contrast seems to be most unwelcome in this particular forum.......to which I say

Old 04-22-2012, 02:39 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
I feel my participation in this conversation is justified at least in part because I have lived in the Houston area previously.
You did 25 years, a quarter of a century ago! Come on man. That goes for just about any city, but especially newer, ever-evolving cities like Houston. Entire neighborhoods can change in much less time than that, no?

Quote:
As for knowing it all......maybe I do and maybe I don't.....but it's abundantly clear that some people don't like being told anything besides what they want to hear.
That certainly goes both ways, such as the bashers that can't seem to stay away from this forum and refuse to admit anything positive or that they may be exaggerating or even wrong about the negative.

Quote:
An opinion of contrast seems to be most unwelcome in this particular forum.......to which I say
No, but exaggerations, lies, and outdated opinions will certainly be challenged, as they should be.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:33 PM

22 posts, read 45,607 times
I do like to see the pros and cons from everyone who has lived there. If I did not have an open mind, I probably would have opted out of moving to Houston, given the perception of others. I definitely can appreciate everyone's opinion. I was born in Toledo, so I can understand how some from up north would hate living in parts of the south.

I'm visiting HOU again in a few weeks to actually tour the parts of town I originally posted on. It seems like Montrose is my kind of area, but I don't plan on limiting myself when there. I just want to take it all in!

Thanks again and keep the posts coming!!

Old 04-23-2012, 11:59 AM

229 posts, read 305,096 times
If you are wanting neighborhoods in Houston like you are used to in Atlanta, you will be sorely dissapointed. Houston may have a few neat, up-and-coming neighborhoods, but they are so spread out from each other that they might as well be located in different cities, and even their most "walkable" neighborhoods are not walkable, unless of course you are a power walker. Getting anywhere, and doing anything in Houston takes so long, you usually end up not doing nothing at all, hence one of the reasons it was voted one of the most boring cities on earth.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:40 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times
I am a "Houston basher" because I am not part of the Houston Homie crew, and it is easy to see who they are. I try to be honest, give my opinion, and tell you how I view the city. If that makes me a hater, then so be it. I am not bitter, and I do not hate here at all. Don't listen to these people that say the city is boring. There are plenty of things to do for most people. For someone like me who does not really fit the profile of a Houston resident, I am still able to find more things to do than I can. The Melvins were in town Friday, there was the I-fest Saturday (didn't go), and there was also a roller derby game Saturday. Don't be deterred. Houston may be the city for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: