Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 09:42 AM

102 posts, read 237,493 times

Advertisements

We're really interested in relocating to the Garden Oaks area, but I'm wondering, do many residents choose private schools over public? I've looked up the AEIS reports on the neighborhood public schools, and the stats don't seem to mesh with the neighborhood stats in general. For example, the test scores are fairly low, "mobility" is *high*, limited english proficiency is *high*, "at-risk" factors are also *high*. I have no problem with private schools, I just want to get a feel for whether that's the flavor of the area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 10:38 AM

209 posts, read 524,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymurr View Post
We're really interested in relocating to the Garden Oaks area, but I'm wondering, do many residents choose private schools over public? I've looked up the AEIS reports on the neighborhood public schools, and the stats don't seem to mesh with the neighborhood stats in general. For example, the test scores are fairly low, "mobility" is *high*, limited english proficiency is *high*, "at-risk" factors are also *high*. I have no problem with private schools, I just want to get a feel for whether that's the flavor of the area. Thanks!
Private schools for those that can afford it.

Generally speaking the catholic high schools are the most popular. In terms of locally, you have Lutheran North and St. Pius for high school. St. Rose for the elementary school, and St. Ambrose for the middle school.

You could commute a little bit further to high schools like St. Thomas for boys, and Incarnate Word for girls....Or Kinkade.

All really good schools.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:22 AM

19 posts, read 84,473 times
Also, Our Savior Lutheran is in the greater Garden Oaks / Oak Forest area (PS3 - 8th grade) and is good.

In Houston ISD, you have options to help transfer to "better" public schools as well (look into Magnet and Vanguard programs). Garden Oaks Elementary is pretty good, as is Oak Forest Elementary. The area middle schools, I'm not sure about, but there is a lot of change in the area - basically, increasing income, so what's bad today will likely be better tomorrow (assuming the oil bidness keeps pace.)

Old 05-02-2012, 01:38 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,286,237 times
We lived there and our kids went to private...but I hear the elementary has improved since then. Im thinking most kids in there esp in higher grades attend private school.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:59 PM

19 posts, read 84,473 times
So, as an example, the "Kids at Risk" school rankings came out today.

Oak Forest Elementary is rated as "Exemplary" and 40.4% of kids are considered "Economically Disadvantaged".

Oak Forest shares land with Frank Black Middle School. Black is rated as "Acceptable" (which is just above "Unacceptable" and below "Exemplary" and "Recognized") and 92% of its kids as "Economically Disadvantaged". Dollars to Donuts, Black will be "Recognized" within 2 years, and Exemplary within 5. And the "Economically Disadvantaged" number will go down to about 60%, if not less.

I think the term is "gentrification".

Having said that, there are "Exemplary" schools where almost 100% of the kids are labeled as "Economically Disadvantaged". Parents who care are what make the education "better"... not the, so-called, "demographics".

Old 05-05-2012, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,173 times
Garden Oaks Elementary has just become an entirely Montessori elementary school. Whether you agree with Montessori or not (many don't), there are a lot of people who swear by Montessori who will be clamoring to get their children in over the next few years. Because of this change, the demographics of GO Elementary are certain to change rapidly.

Oak Forest Elementary is an excellent public school (and again, you can apply to have your child go here if you are not one of the Montessori believers).

Black Middle School has a Vanguard program that is becoming increasingly popular, not only in Garden Oaks, but in surrounding areas.

High School (Waltrip) will probably improve as these feeder schools continue to improve, although probably at a slower pace. There are also the private options mentioned by other posters... but honestly the elementary and middle public schools are good, and rapidly improving. Just remember, you probably are "really interested" in Garden Oaks because lots of other people just like you are coming here in droves. Just look around at all the new construction and remodeling - the neighborhood is a gem.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:03 AM

11 posts, read 40,865 times
If you're looking for private schools (elementary, middle, preschool), you might want to consider Grace School. It's not directly in the Garden Oaks/Oak Forest area, but it's not far. A few teachers at Grace actually live in that neighborhood. It's a good private school...you should check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston