Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 04:59 PM

29 posts, read 120,024 times

Advertisements

Thinking about buying a house in either the Timbergrove or Garden Oaks area. I would prefer to be in Timbergrove, but have concerns about flooding, crime and overall potential.

For someone that has seen the two areas mature over the past several years, could you please shed some light on key differences/similarities b/w the two areas?

Haven t seen a direct comparison posted, apologize if i missed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 05:23 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,210,718 times
I don't think the crime in Timber Grove is any worse than Garden Oaks. Actually Garden Oaks is closer to more crime-prone areas. That is not to say crime does not happen, it happens everywhere but it is not a particular problem in Timber Grove. Both areas have active Homeowner's groups though I believe the Timber Grove folks work more on their beautification projects. As for flooding, well it depends where in Timber Grove you are. Garden Oaks had flooding issues as well. The house I contemplated buying in Garden Oaks had one room (a converted garage) flooded during Allison and water ran under the rest of the house. Of course Allison is the compass point of extremely bad flooding events around here. I recall that houses directly along and south of TC Jester flooded and some closer to and south of 18th flooded but it has been awhile. I do know that the houses along Ella were ok. Check the TSARP website for the maps. My brother had just moved into his house in Timber Grove when that happened. Lucky for him I guess as the condo he had been living in on White Oak (Heights right next to White Oak Bayou) flooded severely.

Either neighborhood is nice. It just comes down to which house you like better.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:28 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,830,855 times
I would not base the decision on the neighborhoods, I would go with whichever individual house you liked better. Both are good areas and there is not enough substantial positives one over the other to "rule out" one or the other.

There are some sections of Timbergrove, I know over there south of 11th in the southwest section, that got hit hard in Allison, not sure about Ike. That would be a deal buster for me on those particular ones.

Garden Oaks has the bigger lots and the area has a little more character. I have seen posts where some people said section 1 of Garden Oaks, between Yale and Shepherd, experiences more crime with credit for that blamed on its proximity to Independence Heights right across Yale. I have no idea if that is accurate or not. I can't imagine either area is what I would describe as crime ridden or anything.

Good homes in hot in-town areas are hard to find. Keep yourself open to both areas and go with the house you like. I would pick one in the middle of Garden Oaks over one in Timbergrove that backed up to Shepherd or had taken in water, but I would take one in the middle of Timbergrove over one in Garden Oaks too near the freeway noise from 610. 6 to one, half a dozen to the other.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:01 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,193,859 times
The homes are in various degrees of upgraded and updated condition. Floorplans sometimes have been tampered with for the better - and some for the worse. All that being said, look at the house layout, the condition, the immediate block, the potential, etc. for your personal preferences. Stay away from the areas that have floooded before and go with what you like. Look in both subdivisions. You'll find the house that's best for you.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:29 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,286,774 times
cant go wrong with either but I prefer Garden Oaks

Old 01-18-2010, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I dont have alot to go off of, so I'm curious, what is the crime situation is really like down in these areas? I travel alot of work and want my wife to feel safe when I'm on the road. I have heard from friends of friends (not incredibly reliable) that this area can be prone to frequent crime, i.e. cars being broken into, etc. Is the crime generally limited to car breaks, house robberies, or even worse violent crime? I'm from West Texas where there is crime, but not what I would call 'violent' crime. Just trying to get a feel for a good area for us, looking to buy within 6 months. Thanks again for the feedback, it is all greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jcgttu; 01-18-2010 at 08:46 PM..

Old 01-18-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgttu View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I dont have alot to go off of, so I'm curious, what is the crime situation is really like down in these areas? I travel alot of work and want my wife to feel safe when I'm on the road. I have heard from friends of friends (not incredibly reliable) that this area can be prone to frequent crime, i.e. cars being broken into, etc. Is the crime generally limited to car breaks, house robberies, or even worse violent crime? I'm from West Texas where there is crime, but not what I would call 'violent' crime. Just trying to get a feel for a good area for us, looking to buy within 6 months. Thanks again for the feedback, it is all greatly appreciated.
You have to consider the source. Are these "friends of friends" people who live in far out areas that view anything close in as crime-ridden?

Last edited by modster; 01-18-2010 at 09:39 PM..

Old 01-18-2010, 08:59 PM

They live off of W 13th and Durham I think, claim to have had several break ins (cars) w/ in the past yr...<br>

Old 01-18-2010, 09:39 PM

Crime stats are available on line. When dealing with inner-loop/edge of loop areas things can change within a couple of blocks.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 10,867 times
Hi- we've lived in Garden Oaks for 3 years now and I wouldn't live anywhere else. It's really convenient to downtown, the Galleria, 290, 45, etc. Not only that, but it' so beautiful, all the mature trees, people walking with their kids or their dogs in the evenings, (most) folks take care of their yards, and the deed restrictions keep the 3-story tonhouse from buiding up 3 on a lot. Like anywhere, you want to lock your doors, but I feel pretty safe as long as we use common sense. We like to sit on our porch swing in the evenings and watch people go by; it feels sort of country but with the in-town convenience. We're in our mid 40s and plan to live here until we retire!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston