Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 04:36 AM

2 posts, read 9,926 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am from South India (Tamilian). Planning to move to Houston (workplace likely around ZIP 77042). Have two kids - 13 years (stuying 8th) and 6 years (preparatory shool). Wife is home-maker/house-wife.

1. What is a good area to rent an apartment - peaceful neighbourhood with good school options?

2. Is private school a better option, assuming affordable? We are keen, but hear that if you put kids in private high schools, they do not get any assistance in undergrad when they go to universities? Is that a risk?

3. Should one then consider moving a good neighbourhood that has good public schools?

4. Are there any areas that are Indian concentrated? how far are they from ZIP 77042 / Sam Houston Parkway??

5. Hindu temples?

Many thanks in advance for inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 06:19 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,691,381 times
Sugarland area has tons of indians. It will be around 10-11 miles from your work place. If you are coming alone then consider living on westheimer road near galleria mall where apartment complex are full of indians. I would say sugarland area has nice public schools and affordable living. forget private schools, they are very expensive. About Indian food, best bet are eateries at Hillcroft Avenue and some at westheimer road. There are hindu temples such as Meenakshi temple and swaminarayan temple. Bollywood movies are shown regularly in houston theaters as well as telugu,tamil,malayalam flicks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopal_priya View Post
Hi,

I am from South India (Tamilian). Planning to move to Houston (workplace likely around ZIP 77042). Have two kids - 13 years (stuying 8th) and 6 years (preparatory shool). Wife is home-maker/house-wife.

1. What is a good area to rent an apartment - peaceful neighbourhood with good school options?

2. Is private school a better option, assuming affordable? We are keen, but hear that if you put kids in private high schools, they do not get any assistance in undergrad when they go to universities? Is that a risk?

3. Should one then consider moving a good neighbourhood that has good public schools?

4. Are there any areas that are Indian concentrated? how far are they from ZIP 77042 / Sam Houston Parkway??

5. Hindu temples?

Many thanks in advance for inputs.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:42 AM

53 posts, read 204,861 times
Hello,
Congratulations on your move to Houston.
Here are my answers to your questions:
1. I definitely like the Kirby area (try 7575 Kirby)
2. Ok, this will have some controversy. Private school definitely has more college counseling than public schools. Also remember, private schools in Houston can be extremely difficult to get into, but if your child is international, most schools will take them. I would recommend St. John's, Kinkaid, and Awty for the high schooler and the same for the middle schooler
3. I would stay in Houston
4. Pearland, Sugarland, and Katy have high Indian populations
5. There are Indian temples in Sugarland, Pearland, and more

Old 03-24-2012, 10:46 PM

82 posts, read 255,922 times
The schools are zoned to the area you live in. IF you are working in 77042 then Sugarland would be a great option to live. Excellent Schools, lots of Indians. IT is about 15 miles drive to 77042. Katy is anohe good option but it will be a longer commute.

The Meenakshi temple is in Pearland. That is a good area too if you want to stay there but you will have an even longer drive.

All the above areas have good schools.

Other than that there are lots of Indians, Indian activities, temples, movies etc .
www.sulekha.com will have Indians related info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: