Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 05:03 PM

148 posts, read 389,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
It must be awful for you to live in such a place. Perhaps it's time for you to move someplace else...
Yes, Houston is awful and eventually I will move to a much better place like Auston, Dallas, Chicago or even back to NYC. Wife works for Continental and once she gets her transfer this nightmare will be over. She is from Portland, Oregon which is beyond beautiful. Her family sucks it up and visits, but they wonder how on earth anyone lives in Houston. My brother is from Brooklyn, can't stand Houston. Austin he likes and Denton is really cool as well. My sister works for Bravo and helps cordinate Top Chef. You notice how they chose Dallas, Austin and San Antonio only for "Top Chef Texas". The chefs and producers voted and they all agreed that Houston was just too humid, too ghetto and just did not have enough character be worthy of the cost of travel and production.

You lost and you lost big.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:04 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,371 times
The above post and last couple on the previous page are example of why this dude and Sunder get bashed. It is not constructive criticism intended to help anyone. It is trolling and with the intention to draw a reaction. It is kind of sad and pathetic that anyone spends that much time on a website trolling. I don't think I have to get into what that says about these people. David Dollar I don't really see any problem with. Once or twice I have seen his comments to be inaccurate, but certainly not trolling.

I've said before, I grew up in Chicago. Since then I have lived in Columbia, SC; Paris; Brussels; Stamford, CT; Seoul, Korea; Singapore; London; Houston; Seoul again; Bangkok and now Houston. We came back to Houston by choice - could have gone anywhere, short-listed Seattle, Austin and Houston and chose to come back to Houston.

The first time we moved to Houston was from London. I'd been to Houston a lot on business, we loved London, we wanted no part of Houston. We resisted and were dragged kicking and screaming. Since we are city kids, we lived in between Montrose and River Oaks. Our expectations were zero. We were pleasantly surprised. The weather was difficult at times, and once you venture much from downtown and Southwest Houston the sprawl does get a bit ugly, but we loved where we were and we loved what the city had to offer. Top notch opera, great parks, great restaurants, a nice zoo, sports, decent theater, suburban style living in the middle of the city. Bear in mind, if you look at our list, our reference points were quite good.

We came back because the city of Houston (by which I mean inside the loop) continues to get better with each year. It is not a world class city like London, Paris, Chicago, NYC, etc., but it is a nice place to live. The nonsense above about Dallas being better is utter drivel. Austin, depends on what drives you. Elements are better, other elements are worse. Chicago - I love my hometown but there is a reason that people are leaving in droves.

I moved a lot in my life, one thing I have learned is that how you like anywhere that you live depends on what you make of it. Anyone who comes here and whines and complains as much of these guys should look in the mirror rather than blame their surroundings. One thing I know is that if we could go from killing ourselves to stay in London and wanting to go to Houston over our dead bodies to actually liking it, then it can't be that bad a place.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:31 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times
OK. For ganging up go back and look at the Houston tops list thread. Everything I listed on there was accurate and I backed it up with links. Yet I got bashed for it pretty bad. I will agree I was negative there, but nothing was innacurrate.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:52 PM

148 posts, read 389,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
The above post and last couple on the previous page are example of why this dude and Sunder get bashed. It is not constructive criticism intended to help anyone. It is trolling and with the intention to draw a reaction. It is kind of sad and pathetic that anyone spends that much time on a website trolling. I don't think I have to get into what that says about these people. David Dollar I don't really see any problem with. Once or twice I have seen his comments to be inaccurate, but certainly not trolling.

I've said before, I grew up in Chicago. Since then I have lived in Columbia, SC; Paris; Brussels; Stamford, CT; Seoul, Korea; Singapore; London; Houston; Seoul again; Bangkok and now Houston. We came back to Houston by choice - could have gone anywhere, short-listed Seattle, Austin and Houston and chose to come back to Houston.

The first time we moved to Houston was from London. I'd been to Houston a lot on business, we loved London, we wanted no part of Houston. We resisted and were dragged kicking and screaming. Since we are city kids, we lived in between Montrose and River Oaks. Our expectations were zero. We were pleasantly surprised. The weather was difficult at times, and once you venture much from downtown and Southwest Houston the sprawl does get a bit ugly, but we loved where we were and we loved what the city had to offer. Top notch opera, great parks, great restaurants, a nice zoo, sports, decent theater, suburban style living in the middle of the city. Bear in mind, if you look at our list, our reference points were quite good.

We came back because the city of Houston (by which I mean inside the loop) continues to get better with each year. It is not a world class city like London, Paris, Chicago, NYC, etc., but it is a nice place to live. The nonsense above about Dallas being better is utter drivel. Austin, depends on what drives you. Elements are better, other elements are worse. Chicago - I love my hometown but there is a reason that people are leaving in droves.

I moved a lot in my life, one thing I have learned is that how you like anywhere that you live depends on what you make of it. Anyone who comes here and whines and complains as much of these guys should look in the mirror rather than blame their surroundings. One thing I know is that if we could go from killing ourselves to stay in London and wanting to go to Houston over our dead bodies to actually liking it, then it can't be that bad a place.
You just showed the same ignorance you accused others of for not liking Houston. To say Dallas being better than Houston is "utter drivel" is bs. There are plenty of people who feel Dallas is much better than Houston whether you like it or not. Just because you do not agree, does not mean others are wrong.

You also accused another poster of writing inaccurate information about Houston. Back it up. Was it really inaccurate or did you just disagree? If I write that Houston is in Louisiana, that is inaccurate. If I write that Houston is really the most awful place I have seen, that is a subjective opinion, but not inaccurate because to me and others that is our perception.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpimus View Post
Yes, Houston is awful and eventually I will move to a much better place like Auston, Dallas, Chicago or even back to NYC. Wife works for Continental and once she gets her transfer this nightmare will be over. She is from Portland, Oregon which is beyond beautiful. Her family sucks it up and visits, but they wonder how on earth anyone lives in Houston. My brother is from Brooklyn, can't stand Houston. Austin he likes and Denton is really cool as well. My sister works for Bravo and helps cordinate Top Chef. You notice how they chose Dallas, Austin and San Antonio only for "Top Chef Texas". The chefs and producers voted and they all agreed that Houston was just too humid, too ghetto and just did not have enough character be worthy of the cost of travel and production.

You lost and you lost big.
Please don't come to Austin, we don't need more complainers and "back east is so much better" attitude. I think Houston is better than Dallas as do many others so there goes your theory on that. And you must think people are really gullible to believe your Bravo story, I doubt the producers are that ignorant and idiotic but more importantly, news stories revealed it was pay for play and San Antonio paid nearly a quarter million to Top Chef for having most of the filming take place there.
In your past posts you used to praise Houston, what's up with doing a 180 all the sudden, I'm not buying it.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:21 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,371 times
To: jpimus

I wasn't having a go at David Dollar, he isn't a troll. You are. (edit: although I just read your post in the NY thread and found it actually reasonably written and not trollish, so go figure).

I'm bored of you and it is hardly worth the effort to "back it up" on inaccuracies, I'll humor you with one example from another thread about Seattle in which he (to paraphrase) claimed there were no festivals in Houston and if there were, they were difficult to find. I proceeded to list out 7 different festivals under the category of "international festival" alone just in the month of March. All of these festivals were very easy to find - listed in the Houston Chronicle, Houston Press and any online events website for Houston. I also noted that if you go to Discovery Green, there are basically 1-2 festivals per weekends there, not to mention outdoor concerts (which can also be found in the theater district). Stating there are no festivals and when there are, they are hard to find is pretty inaccurate when I can spend 5 seconds searching and find that there are plenty of festivals.

My point on Dallas is this: if you truly detest Houston then it is unlikely (depending on what your "likes" are) you'd like living in Dallas. Dallas is hotter than Houston (although less humid), it is more barren than Houston, it has more sprawl, it is not any more attractive than Houston, it has less culture. What it does have is more lakes, so if you like boating then Dallas is more likely to be up your alley. EDIT: Having read your complaints on Houston in the NY thread, I'm pretty sure that if you moved to Dallas you'd feel the same way about Dallas. Austin, you might like a little better for the aesthetics and outdoors options, but again many of your complaints are going to be the same.

My best friend has lived in Dallas for 14 years. Been there many times, met loads of people. Never met anyone who had actually been to Houston and thought Dallas was materially better. Generally, those from Dallas who dislike Houston do so because they are very Texan and Houston is not. Houston is far more southern in culture than Texan.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:56 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
Good grief, I can't believe what I'm reading here.

The OP specifically asked to hear from anyone who has moved from Seattle to Houston and is loving it. I mean, literally, it is the title of this thread....

So, if you don't like Houston and/or you have never even been to Seattle then there is simply no reason for you to be posting here. Not at all helpful.

And just for the record, Seattle-Tacoma is also on the American Lung Association list of poor air quality cities. I don't understand why people who know little about Seattle imagine it to be some pristine paradise. It's a major, crowded city crammed between two mountain ranges. The air quality would be even worse if it didn't rain 9 months of the year.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:07 AM

739 posts, read 1,188,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpimus View Post
You just showed the same ignorance you accused others of for not liking Houston. To say Dallas being better than Houston is "utter drivel" is bs. There are plenty of people who feel Dallas is much better than Houston whether you like it or not. Just because you do not agree, does not mean others are wrong.

You also accused another poster of writing inaccurate information about Houston. Back it up. Was it really inaccurate or did you just disagree? If I write that Houston is in Louisiana, that is inaccurate. If I write that Houston is really the most awful place I have seen, that is a subjective opinion, but not inaccurate because to me and others that is our perception.
but not everyone holds that perception, jpimus. And the problem is that some [who have a false perception]m ake that claim as if it's the truth. To me, Houston is not awful and there are others that share that sentiment.

Inaccuracy comes in for instance, when people say things like Houston lacks diversity or culture, identity or things to do. Or that population numbers are insignificant. Some people who hold to the perception of it being 'awful', have attempted to make these kinds of claims......

Old 04-04-2012, 12:09 AM

739 posts, read 1,188,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Please don't come to Austin, we don't need more complainers and "back east is so much better" attitude. I think Houston is better than Dallas as do many others so there goes your theory on that. And you must think people are really gullible to believe your Bravo story, I doubt the producers are that ignorant and idiotic but more importantly, news stories revealed it was pay for play and San Antonio paid nearly a quarter million to Top Chef for having most of the filming take place there.
In your past posts you used to praise Houston, what's up with doing a 180 all the sudden, I'm not buying it.
I've never watched, Top Chef, but wasn't there a chef from Houston on that program?

Old 04-04-2012, 05:42 AM

954 posts, read 1,550,124 times
Following up on the comments by the cop from Connecticut, I gotta make a few remarks of my own about Houston's infamous weather because much of what he says is true, though to be sure there's some distortion there. But I think his remarks are instructive for one considering a move to Houston from the PAC NW.
I came down to Houston way back in the '80s, fresh out of college with an entry-level job in the petro industry and was amazed by the summers in Houston. Nevertheless as a fit young guy, athletic, I still got out at 5 in the afternoon and ran most days in July & August, even bought a little Toyota pickup which I had for several years while living in Houston - it didn't have AC ! But I moved to Houston from the KC, MO area where we know what heat and humidity are. Maybe not of the duration, the 5-month summers of Houston, but one is not overwhelmed by the endless summer that somebody from Connecticut (or Seattle), might be.
For me the "winters" in Houston were like my Missouri midwestern Falls temperature wise, and you also would routinely have some really nice weather in Houston in October and April, and I read where they even had multiple snows in December, 2010 (though I know that's not normal). It's not a bad climate at all for someone who can tolerate lots of heat and humidity and also despises cold weather. But coming from a place like Seattle, get ready for some big changes, because it's a climate 360 degrees different than what you've known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston