Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 12:39 PM

830 posts, read 1,729,355 times

Advertisements

If you don't like the weather in MN, you might be ok with the weather here. You will be going from one extreme (cold in MN) to another extreme (heat in TX). I would say the weather in Houston is terrible for 3 full months. If you aren't really a fan of 85+ degree weather, then it would be more like 6 months. Humidity makes a huge difference. I can leave for work in the morning and it could be 72 degrees and I may feel DISGUSTING due to the humidity (ie I feel dirty as soon as I go outside). Then I could leave work at the end of the day, and it might be 85 and not feel nearly as bad due to the lower humidity. I think you can only get used to it to a certain extent.

As far as living somewhere, things are not very expensive in Houston. You should definitely find a job before moving, though.

Lastly, your comment about people not being "open" in MN....if you mean they're not as friendly there, maybe you will find you like Houston since people are used to giving one another pleasantries. If you mean "open" as in "accepting" or "open-minded", you may be better off in MN--Houston is extremely diverse, but not as "open-minded" as you'd expect for such a diverse place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 12:51 PM

543 posts, read 1,387,290 times
Regarding the weather, it really depends. I like the 85+F degree so Houston is great for me. I never like MN. It just too cold for me.

About the people, I find the people in Minnesota very polite but I can't seem to make good and true friends there. Like you said, people in MN are very 'friendly' and polite but they don't open up very much in their private life. Here, in Texas, I was able to make good friends. I guess I just have luck in Houston comparing to MN.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:20 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Those are just your opinions, Dave, and you know that. I would not describe Houston as being uncomfortable for most of the year, and many people do get used to the heat.
Yeah. I agree that these are my opinions. My opinion is that Houston whether is awesome from November to March. During those months you only need to run the ac a little over 3/4's of the time. Most days and nights are very pleasant to be outside. April and October are hit and miss. Some days and nights are nice, but some are too hot and humid to enjoy. May-September are just terrible for most people. To me, geetting used to it means that it doesn't bother you. I really doubt most people who move here would say that the weather during those times is pleasant. Like I san you can deal with it, but I doubt you will enjoy it.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:43 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,371 times
You run A/C between November and March? Why? Ours goes off in October and is off until April when it comes on for maybe 7 hours a day and gradually increasing as the weather gets hotter.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:24 PM

682 posts, read 1,942,314 times
I've run the A/C at times Nov - March but usually only a day here and there. If you are running your A/C 3/4 of the time during those months you must like it cold. My furnace ran more days than the A/C during those months but most days didn't require either.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:01 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
For me, if the AC is on Nov-Mar, it's on one of those occasional warmer days where I want the house to get cool real quick (often when I've got the oven on). But during that time, the heat is on more often, and other times I can just run the fan.

This past "winter" was a bit of an exception, though.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:11 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times
I like it around 74 degrees in the day and around 68-70 at night. I run the heat less than 10 times a year here in Houston.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:24 PM

3 posts, read 4,330 times
Thank you all for your great insights! i am still nervous but i guess i can make it there. I will make sure to have a job though before moving. Looking online seemed like there were a lot of hospitals who would hire "graduate nurses" for an internship or something and then give them a delay to get their license. I was thinking i could apply as one or work as a nurse assistant until i pass my exam or get a job. It also seems like people are afraid of hiring out-of-state applicants because they worry they won't be able to make it to the interview...anyways, don't you guys think it would be easier to move first and then find a job?
(by the way i have a friend down there who's willing to let me stay with her until i settle)

Old 04-08-2012, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 4,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Yes, the weather is unbearably hot and humid for about half the year. However, I know many people from that area that moved here and love it.(there are more reasons than weather to enjoy living somewhere) I have been a nurse for 3 years and I have to say that it is not easy getting a job as a new grad. Make sure you have a job before you move. As far as your limit on how much you can spend for an apartment, $700.00 for a two bedroom is going to be challenging in a nice area. Not impossible, but challenging. Good luck!
Hey Colcat, thank for replying. But do you think i have more chances finding a job while i am still here in MN or should i come over there for awhile first and apply to as many jobs as possible...in case im called for an interview...?

Old 04-08-2012, 08:02 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I like it around 74 degrees in the day and around 68-70 at night. I run the heat less than 10 times a year here in Houston.
No way should you be running the AC 3/4 of the days from November to March if that's how you like your indoor temps. That makes no sense. Is your home built over a hot plate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: