Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 11:59 AM

913 posts, read 4,344,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post
If you are going to redo insulation go with the spray foam insulation.
I would not support this idea. I have purchased 600 linear feet of spray foam in bottle, so I know a few things.

1. First of all, it is expensive compared to loose fill.

2. it is not a good solution for attic. Namely:
*I would not use it on an attic decking because it is covered by a batt or loose fill already. And because it will stick to a sheet rock ceiling. Not good.
* I would not use it on a roof decking unless one would turn an entire attic into a living fully air conditioned room. Which is another story.

The best use for spray foam is walls. Especially - wall facing the sun (South and West). It however requires to remove existing sheetrock which is costly.

Ideally, spray foam is used on basements, foundations and concrete walls.
Also regular walls, but during construction process, when all all studs are open and no sheetrock wall are yet mounted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 12:02 PM

913 posts, read 4,344,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonamd View Post
The price for materials isn't a lot different between R30 and R60. If it is economical or not comes into play depends on how much insulation is already there. If there is already R30 and you are going to pay someone to make it R60, you are probably looking at $1000 or so. The cost savings in energy use will take many years to make it worth it..probably around 20. There isn't that great of a energy savings between R30 and R60.

Sealing up leaks around the home and making sure the A/C system is running properly will probably be the 2 biggest energy savers in most newer homes (built in the last 15 years or so)
I second that.
Considering that our conversation is highly hypothetical, with no concrete numbers and facts in hand, all I can say to topic-starter is: do your math and calculate ROI (return on investment) for each project.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 833 times
I got my home green certified last year by installing solar power, re-doing the windows and installing a number of gadgets that helped me to automate the energy savings process. For example, you can replace all your old power extension blocks with these PwrUSB power strips that will let you schedule a calendar regarding when to turn on and off my garden lights, your computers and media center appliances. You can actually reach breakeven on these investment within years if not months!

I think I bought the basic version for less than $70 from Amazon. Just google pwrusb and you should be able to find it.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:48 AM

141 posts, read 288,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugargenius View Post
The back of my house faces dues west (my first home purchase...I'll never make that mistake again) and there are no trees in the back yard. Needless to say, that side of the house gets blisteringly hot in the summer. The mbr is the worst of all, so I basically run AC 24/7 in the summer. The house is a 1-story, 2100sf built in 2001. During July-Sep I'm averaging ~3300 kWh. And that's keeping the thermostat at 76 day and 78 night. I'm trying to think of the best ways to save $$$ on electricity. So far, all I've done is install solar screens. What would be the next bang for the buck option?

Radiant barrier
Additional insulation
Low E vinyl windows
Shade trees
Patio
Are the walls cement block or wood frame? If they are block, chances are they are getting heated up and retaining the heat and transferring it to the inside. You might consider a layer of exterior insulation, radiant barrier and siding over top.

If there are windows in the mbr, make sure that they are well sealed and then add some quality storm windows. This little trick alone saves me a bundle every month in summer AND winter and my home is much quieter, too. They also add permanent hurricane protection and were half the cost of impact windows.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 686 times
I found some pretty good ideas that may or maynot help you out, but feel free to check them out and let me know what you think. [url=http://www.emediapress.com/go.php?offer=tipafew&pid=1&tid=586824]Save On Home Energy | #1 Home Energy Savings Manual[/url]

Old 07-17-2013, 01:01 PM

21 posts, read 51,976 times
Window can also have an effect on energy...

BENEFITS OF VINYL WINDOWS

- Exceptionally energy efficient
- Extremely durable
- Non-corroding
- Virtually maintenance-free
- Available in a wide range of styles and shapes
- Cost effective
- Easy to install

Houston Vinyl Windows

Old 07-18-2013, 07:01 PM

6 posts, read 7,799 times
I would definitely check my AC filters and probably get the AC serviced. It may have a dirty coil or be low on refrigerant.
I just had a $240 electricity bill in a 1 bdrm apt, and I checked the chart online and "cooling" was 59% of my bill.!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: