Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2007, 12:32 PM

5 posts, read 21,535 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a nice and quiet apartment near Greenway Plaza/Inner Loop of Houston. I am moving out of my current apartment because of the NOISES below and underneath my room. I haven't had a good night sleep for a long time and I miss that. I prefer hardwood floor in the living area and also a newer building. I don't want to live to far away from my office (in Greenway Plaza). Any ideas, suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 01:07 PM
MxL

92 posts, read 509,937 times
What is your price range? I've been looking into apartments similar to the type you mentioned in and around the same area so I could tell you what I've discovered through research.

I've been looking at apartments in the $1,200 - 1,700 range and these are some of the things I've heard (and seen) regarding the following:

36sixty: Probably as close as you can get. They have laminate wood flooring which is pretty nice. The grounds are awesome, including the pool, lobbey, etc. The exercise room is top-notch - probably the best I've seen in an apartment so far. There is also a small dog-run area in the back. Spaciousness in the units could be better for the money, but not bad. You know the location is great. I talked to a resident on my visit and he said it's a really nice place but the noise can sometimes travel between units (even the TV being on). I'm worried about this myself. I've heard the same thing on this forum from one other person as well. Others have said just that they enjoy the place and nothing much more than that.

The Phoenician: I've read many positive reviews and the photos I've seen look really nice. This place doesn't have hardwoods, at least I'm pretty sure there are none in the living areas at least. I've read good things about safety and quietness. This place is on Bering, off Westheimer.

Gables Upper Kirby: I don't know much about the living experience here, but in terms of location and style of the units, it seems to be something you would be interested in. Hardwoods, really nice layouts, and updated appliances and cabinets, etc.

Those are the closest to Greenway that I've shortlisted for myself. That info may help you too. Others within 10-15 minutes that I have also heard good things about:

- Left Bank River Oaks
- Maroneal
- Parklane (the updated units only - the others are really dated)

When you do locate a place, re-post and tell me about it... I'm still looking for mine too and could use some help.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxL View Post
What is your price range? I've been looking into apartments similar to the type you mentioned in and around the same area so I could tell you what I've discovered through research.

I've been looking at apartments in the $1,200 - 1,700 range and these are some of the things I've heard (and seen) regarding the following:

36sixty: Probably as close as you can get. They have laminate wood flooring which is pretty nice. The grounds are awesome, including the pool, lobbey, etc. The exercise room is top-notch - probably the best I've seen in an apartment so far. There is also a small dog-run area in the back. Spaciousness in the units could be better for the money, but not bad. You know the location is great. I talked to a resident on my visit and he said it's a really nice place but the noise can sometimes travel between units (even the TV being on). I'm worried about this myself. I've heard the same thing on this forum from one other person as well. Others have said just that they enjoy the place and nothing much more than that.

The Phoenician: I've read many positive reviews and the photos I've seen look really nice. This place doesn't have hardwoods, at least I'm pretty sure there are none in the living areas at least. I've read good things about safety and quietness. This place is on Bering, off Westheimer.

Gables Upper Kirby: I don't know much about the living experience here, but in terms of location and style of the units, it seems to be something you would be interested in. Hardwoods, really nice layouts, and updated appliances and cabinets, etc.

Those are the closest to Greenway that I've shortlisted for myself. That info may help you too. Others within 10-15 minutes that I have also heard good things about:

- Left Bank River Oaks
- Maroneal
- Parklane (the updated units only - the others are really dated)

When you do locate a place, re-post and tell me about it... I'm still looking for mine too and could use some help.
My budget is around 1500/month. I am currently living in 36Sixty. Yes, the gym is very nice. But the noises are very disturbing because of the materials they used.

I just checked out Gables Upper Kirby yesterday. They have very few options and price is high. It is in a very nice neighborhood, but the unit that they showed me is on 2nd floor and doesn't have a lot of natural light.

There is a new building called Camden Plaza in the area. It is only 4 months old. The building has a lot of amenities, but I don't like the hall way and they put linoleum in the bathroom floor. Sales reps were a little pushy.

Will check out Left Bank River Oaks and Parklane.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:20 PM
MxL

Wow, you're already at 36sixty! Can you tell me more. My fiance is crazy about this place based on our recent visit, but I have heard some negatives. Can you put it in perspective? Why are you moving (if you don't mind me asking), and how is the security/crime and maintenance? It's rare to find someone who lives there.

We're not from the area so we're relying on a couple short visits and online info, so it's kind of stressful.

I haven't been to Left Banks yet but we're planning a visit in December. I know it's expensive there but they may have a suitable unit.

Just some more notes on Parklane -- we visited about a month ago. The biggest positives are the security and valet parking. It seems that service is a big priority there. We were looking to spend about the same as you and we found that the units in our budget had some really dated cabinets, fixtures, and appliances. It used to be a condo so each unit is a bit different. The views are great in certain units but that jacks up the price. The tennis courts are a nice feature but the pool is unspectacular (not bad though). It feels a bit like a hotel when you're in there, which can be good and bad. You'll see if you visit.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:40 PM

I was on a one-day apartment hunting from Chicago last December. I had only 3 hours to check out a couple of apartments. The last one I saw was 36Sixty. After viewing some medicore buildings, I was impressed with its modern looking lobby and the fact that it is hardwood floors in the living. But they way they laid out the living room and the kitchen floors is very strange. In short, it's hard to clean the floor because there is a rim separating the hardwood and the tiles in the kitchen.

The counter top in the bathroom looks very cheap. According to a neighbor, the cabinets in the kitchen and the bathrooms are from IKEA -- cheap.

In addition to the noise problem, there have been some incidents in the garage -- missing tires/rims, 1 car breakin (as far as I know because the management didn't send out a notice), people leaving trash on the hallway all the time, dog pee, etc. In May, the motors for getting the water broke down, we didn't have water from 10pm to 7am. The management didn't explain what happened, I heard it from the maintenance people.

They decided to hire an HPD to live on site begining late August. But still haven't put up cameras in the garage. They tell potential renters that they were going to get Wi-Fi, but it's been almost a year since they advertise the feature.

It's close to my office and very convenient to 59 and shops. But I think it's overly priced. However, I know that some tenants like it.

I hope that the above information is helpful.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:16 PM
MxL

It really does help. Thanks a lot. Camden Plaza is one I didn't know about before and it looks like it has potential.

Good luck with your move.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:50 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,204 times
In that price range, have you tried a single-family house (in the Heights or Bellaire) or perhaps a duplex in Upper Kirby. Back in the day, I lived in a duplex on Peckham and loved it. They usually all have hardwood floors and, since you only have one neighbor, any issues tend to be easy to resolve.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
In that price range, have you tried a single-family house (in the Heights or Bellaire) or perhaps a duplex in Upper Kirby. Back in the day, I lived in a duplex on Peckham and loved it. They usually all have hardwood floors and, since you only have one neighbor, any issues tend to be easy to resolve.
Thanks for the input. That sounds like a good idea. I like the Upper Kirby area. Will drive around on the weekend and see if there's anything available.

I checked out The Dominion Post Oak yesterday. It's a very upscale high rise. But the price tag is intimidating. For a 1-bedroom/1.5 baths, the rent is $1,673/month with a 12-month lease. The unit only has 781 square feet. It's on the 21st floor with burber carpet. The rent will go up to round $1,850/month if I want hardwood floor. It's almost as expensive as living in the high end condo building near the Michigan Lake in Chicago.

Will keep looking.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:26 AM
MxL

Something to check out if you haven't: Apartment Ratings - Apartments for Rent with Ratings and Reviews from Actual Renters.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:48 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsinchu View Post
Thanks for the input. That sounds like a good idea. I like the Upper Kirby area. Will drive around on the weekend and see if there's anything available.

I checked out The Dominion Post Oak yesterday. It's a very upscale high rise. But the price tag is intimidating. For a 1-bedroom/1.5 baths, the rent is $1,673/month with a 12-month lease. The unit only has 781 square feet. It's on the 21st floor with burber carpet. The rent will go up to round $1,850/month if I want hardwood floor. It's almost as expensive as living in the high end condo building near the Michigan Lake in Chicago.

Will keep looking.
You can buy a house for that kind of rent? Is there a reason you don't want to buy one? Have you thought about wearing ear plugs to keep out the noise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: