Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 07:11 PM

52 posts, read 139,866 times

Advertisements

Ok guys, I've asked about Telfair and Riverstone previsouly, however, after a lot of consideration, my wife and I've decided to buy our first home for much cheaper than we can actually afford, just so we can learn home ownership and all the other things that come with owning.

Additionally, since we don't plan on having kids for another 3 years, and send them to private school for the first few years when they're school age, we have at least 7-10 years before we actually care to be a in a nice school district.

Our main concern is, neighborhood and the people living around us. We're looking at Riverpark West for building a small one-story home, however I know nothing about it. How are the people there, do they care for their property, are they annoying (play loud music at night, stay up really late on weekdays, etc.). Anything you can think of, please let me know.

We are also open to a 10-15 years old hour in New Territory, however all the ones I'm looking at under 225K are not updated and we would end up spending may 25K for upgrades as we prefer. Thus, I noticed new 1 story homes being built in Riverpark West for $220K or less!

All help and comments are appreciated. Let me know if I left anything out and I'll respond asap.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 11:17 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
That neighborhood has future ghetto written all over it.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:32 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
man, that place is really far out there

Old 06-16-2012, 08:40 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,495,310 times
Not too further than Telfair/riverstone. It actually takes longer to get to Riverstone bc it's further from the highway.
Anyway, I don't know about Riverpark, but a nice compromise btw price, newness, and stability may be Greatwood.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:42 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster10154 View Post

Additionally, since we don't plan on having kids for another 3 years, and send them to private school for the first few years when they're school age, we have at least 7-10 years before we actually care to be a in a nice school district.

Our main concern is, neighborhood and the people living around us.
The type of people you want to live around DO care about the quality of schools, so that's what to investigate. I have friends in a different part of Riverpark and they are very displeased with the public schools there. This probably affects resale value.

New Territory is likely a safer bet as NT is zoned to Walker Station or Brazos Bend, Sartartia Middle School, and Austin HS or Travis HS.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:26 AM

377 posts, read 1,346,297 times
Increase your budget to $250K..and you will be glad you did it when you look back in 10 years..
it does not matter where you are planning to send the kids..what matters is where everyone else is sending thier kids. If the n'hood has good schools, most children will be going there and it keeps the value of the community up.

Quote:

We are also open to a 10-15 years old hour in New Territory, however all the ones I'm looking at under 225K are not updated and we would end up spending may 25K for upgrades as we prefer.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:15 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
The type of people you want to live around DO care about the quality of schools, so that's what to investigate. I have friends in a different part of Riverpark and they are very displeased with the public schools there. This probably affects resale value.

New Territory is likely a safer bet as NT is zoned to Walker Station or Brazos Bend, Sartartia Middle School, and Austin HS or Travis HS.
I agree... Riverpark often gets called "Poor Man's New Territory" which doesn't sound like a good sign, and Riverpark West would be even worse IMO because it's further out and detached from the rest of Sugar Land. If you're looking way out there, the Richmond neighborhoods in/around Pecan Grove are much better.
Otherwise, you are better off looking in New Territory or near it within FBISD. Austin High is excellent, and Travis High is up-and-coming with all of the new development around it in addition to the established neighborhoods like Pecan Grove, west side of New Territory, and Waterside Estates.

If you are absolutely dead-set against the older homes because you can't find one that doesn't need work, and/or insist on new construction, I'd look somewhere like Aliana or Long Meadow Farms over Riverpark West.
Check Old Orchard / Orchard Lakes too, there may be some one-story homes for sale that are less than ten years old.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:01 PM

52 posts, read 139,866 times
Thanks for the response guys. I guess most people are against living in Riverpark West. We'll see if we can find something a bit used in NT or Greatwood. I'll still drive by RPW and see how the neighborhood is. I saw Old Orchard once and though the houses are nice with lake views...the neighborhood didn't seem to be much better than the new neighborhoods in Rosenberg.

The only think we liked better about RPW was that it's really close to HWY 59. Aliana and Old Orchard probably the same distance, however travel time to downtown or even just First Colony Mall seems to be in favor of RPW.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:41 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
I saw Old Orchard once and though the houses are nice with lake views...the neighborhood didn't seem to be much better than the new neighborhoods in Rosenberg.
Sure it is. The advantage is that it's very close to Sugar Land, just over 5 miles from the Town Center/ Mall. Also it's zoned to excellent schools in FBISD, unlike Rosenberg. This makes it attractive to families and helps values.

Quote:
The only think we liked better about RPW was that it's really close to HWY 59. Aliana and Old Orchard probably the same distance, however travel time to downtown or even just First Colony Mall seems to be in favor of RPW.
As far as travel time to First Colony Mall, it depends but it's probably close. Travel time to downtown may be marginally different, but hardly enough to settle for a less favorable school zone IMO. The mistake people often make in regards to Sugar Land is thinking they need to go further out on Hwy 59 toward Rosenberg; you are better off looking at a map and making a circle of about a 5-mile radius out from Hwy 59 & Hwy 6 (where the Town Center/ Mall is.) That will eliminate places like Riverpark West, but will include places like New Territory, Riverstone, Old Orchard/Orchard Lakes (which is only about 2-3 minutes north of New Territory and shares the Austin High School zone.) Also being so close to Hwy 59 like the Riverpark neighborhoods isn't always better; as you may know it's loud it's and a direct route into some of the worst parts of Houston inside the Beltway.

Some things to consider.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 13,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
That neighborhood has future ghetto written all over it.
Wow! I have lived here for 9 years, and I take offense to that statement. I love my home. I feel safe. There is the occasional person who hasn't mowed their lawn and gets a letter from the HOA, but I certainly don't think this is a neighborhood headed for the ghetto!! I've never had any problems from neighbors, the yards and homes are well maintained, and the neighborhood is quiet. Why do you think it "has future ghetto written all over it"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston