Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:40 AM

954 posts, read 1,550,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
I guess a complete lack of competition is the only way United is able to hold on to ANY route, no wonder they fought so hard against it.
Earlier this year, during the debate over whether to allow Southwest Airlines to serve international destinations from Hobby Airport, Lufthansa sent a letter to Mayor Annise Parker suggesting that it might reconsider the A380 service to Bush Intercontinental if the city granted Southwest's request.

"Dividing international traffic between two airports will stretch resources, reduce connectivity and undermine the economic vitality that makes IAH such an attractive hub," the letter said.

But preparations for the giant airplane remain in full force three weeks after the Houston City Council voted overwhelmingly in favor of Southwest's proposal.
A tall work order for 2-deck German jetliner [Houston Chronicle] - Businessweek
I agree with Lufthansa, one of the big foreign airlines flying out of Bush, that it's not a good idea to divide international service between the two airports. So I'm all for competition but just keep the international segment of it in Houston at Bush airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 08:54 AM

391 posts, read 922,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Earlier this year, during the debate over whether to allow Southwest Airlines to serve international destinations from Hobby Airport, Lufthansa sent a letter to Mayor Annise Parker suggesting that it might reconsider the A380 service to Bush Intercontinental if the city granted Southwest's request.

"Dividing international traffic between two airports will stretch resources, reduce connectivity and undermine the economic vitality that makes IAH such an attractive hub," the letter said.

But preparations for the giant airplane remain in full force three weeks after the Houston City Council voted overwhelmingly in favor of Southwest's proposal.
A tall work order for 2-deck German jetliner [Houston Chronicle] - Businessweek
I agree with Lufthansa, one of the big foreign airlines flying out of Bush, that it's not a good idea to divide international service between the two airports. So I'm all for competition but just keep the international segment of it in Houston at Bush airport.
So it's a good idea for Chicago, New York, Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco (Bay Area)... but not Houston of course, oh dear God not Houston!!!

Give me a break guy!!! LH and UA are in the same alliance, so CLEARLY these words came from LH's partner... UA!!! I was born at night, but it wasn't last night!!

Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
"Dividing international traffic between two airports will stretch resources, reduce connectivity and undermine the economic vitality that makes IAH such an attractive hub," the letter said..

Last edited by Dopo; 07-03-2012 at 10:56 AM..

Old 07-03-2012, 10:53 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Discount airline Spirit will serve IAH - Houston Chronicle

Old 07-03-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Awesome news!!! So let's see, since Mayor Annise Parker announced Houston Hobby Airport will be converted back to an international airport, Turkish Airlines has signed on at IAH, Frontier Airlines is moving back to IAH and now Spirit Airlines is signing on at IAH...

...Hey United, I thought IAH would fall into the center of the earth since international traffic is "diverted" in Houston??? (anxieously awaiting comments!!!)

GO HOUSTON!!!!!

Old 07-03-2012, 12:38 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
Awesome news!!! So let's see, since Mayor Annise Parker announced Houston Hobby Airport will be converted back to an international airport, Turkish Airlines has signed on at IAH, Frontier Airlines is moving back to IAH and now Spirit Airlines is signing on at IAH...

...Hey United, I thought IAH would fall into the center of the earth since international traffic is "diverted" in Houston??? (anxieously awaiting comments!!!)

GO HOUSTON!!!!!
That's a lot of hoopla for 2 daily flight to DFW.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:32 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Uh oh, I guess United's response will be to cancel flights to Brazil and lay off a few hundred more workers.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
That's a lot of hoopla for 2 daily flight to DFW.
It's called growth and I am excited about growth in Houston... more so... it's also a big deal especially when a large carrier is trying to hold Houston for ransom at IAH. Growth at IAH is great because it proves United's claims are false. It's one thing so say United's claims are rediculous, but it's another when you have actual results to prove United wrong.

Frontier used to fly out of IAH and withdrew to HOU. Now they are withdrawing from HOU to go back to IAH and now Turkish Airlines is coming to IAH as well. That is 3 airlines added to IAH in a short time. That is big news to me.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:35 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
Uh oh, I guess United's response will be to cancel flights to Brazil and lay off a few hundred more workers.
Repeat after me:
"United monopoly is good, competition is bad"

Old 07-04-2012, 11:10 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,931 times
I am seriously ticked with United for various reasons, not the least of which is their seemingly childish reaction to city council's recent vote. Despite that, I think many people are too optimistic that other major airlines will rush to add **significant** service to IAH as United diminishes its own. (I admit I'll be happy if I wind up being wrong on that.) However, what I think is more likely to happen is implicit in this quote from the Chron's recent article on Spirit announcing service from IAH:

"The Florida-based airline said Tuesday that starting Sept. 30, it will fly twice daily to D-FW, with connections there to Baltimore, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tampa, Portland, Ore., and Mexico City."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston