Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,908 times

Advertisements

I'm transferring to UTMB in Galveston from another state in late June 2012. I'm looking for a small 1 bedroom or studio apartment within about a 30 minute driving distance from UTMB that is quiet and safe.

My budget is $550 a month for rent for about 6 months, after that I'll be able to upgrade. I know that's a pretty low price, so I'm not expecting any high end apartment or anything, just a safe and quiet place. Can anybody point me in the right direction, or know of some good places to look?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 09:56 PM

563 posts, read 910,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMarston View Post
I'm transferring to UTMB in Galveston from another state in late June 2012. I'm looking for a small 1 bedroom or studio apartment within about a 30 minute driving distance from UTMB that is quiet and safe.

My budget is $550 a month for rent for about 6 months, after that I'll be able to upgrade. I know that's a pretty low price, so I'm not expecting any high end apartment or anything, just a safe and quiet place. Can anybody point me in the right direction, or know of some good places to look?

Thanks!
As a native Houstonian I have entertained the idea of moving to Galveston many times. If I were in your shoes moving to Galveston and unfamiliar with the area, I would use a rule of thumb of anything west of 61'st. You pretty much can't go wrong. Snag you a pad on that side for six moths until you become more familiar with the area and then find a place that better suits you. I'm not saying that east of 61'st is bad, it's just without knowing where you are coming from it's hard to judge what you would deem safe. All the apratments on the west side are within a 5-10 minute drive of UTMB (or less).

**I just wanted to reiterate what we are talking about here is apartments. There are a bunch of old Victorian homes on the east side I would move into tomorrow if given the chance.

Last edited by MobileDave; 02-20-2012 at 10:19 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 10:35 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,583,409 times
$550 a month is not gonna get you much in Galveston if you go up to $650 to $750 a month you can something decent

Old 02-20-2012, 11:12 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,505,517 times
Look over by Mall of the Mainland.

I never got a good vibe in regards to apartments on the Island...at least the ones that I guess had vacancies and responded to me.

I guess the incentive to run anything better than slums is low when the competition is scarce when you're on a budget.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:44 AM

19 posts, read 42,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
As a native Houstonian I have entertained the idea of moving to Galveston many times. If I were in your shoes moving to Galveston and unfamiliar with the area, I would use a rule of thumb of anything west of 61'st. You pretty much can't go wrong. Snag you a pad on that side for six moths until you become more familiar with the area and then find a place that better suits you. I'm not saying that east of 61'st is bad, it's just without knowing where you are coming from it's hard to judge what you would deem safe. All the apratments on the west side are within a 5-10 minute drive of UTMB (or less).

**I just wanted to reiterate what we are talking about here is apartments. There are a bunch of old Victorian homes on the east side I would move into tomorrow if given the chance.
Living on the west side is going to be a bit more than a 5-10 minute drive. I can't remember the name, but there used to be a really good apartment locator company down there. They found us a really awesome loft on the strand that me and some college friends lived in for several years. You can probably find some smaller lofts in that area pretty close to your budget. The only major downside to living in that area is parking. Also, dealing with big events like Mardi Gras is pretty difficult. Can't go wrong with apartments on the west end either though.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,055 times
Does anyone have any information or photos of Parc at Marina Landing that use to be Marina Landing Resort Apts. These are being renovated and wondered if anyone knows anything. I am disabled and would like to move to Galveston to be closer to UTMB. I heard they are by a marina, is this a decent area?

Old 07-06-2012, 07:02 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,600,103 times
Its managed by Sunchase American Ltd . You have the Airport of Galveston and Moody Convention Center just across the water.

Last edited by Beto; 07-06-2012 at 07:12 AM..

Old 07-06-2012, 07:09 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,013,206 times
Another suggestion is to find someone who is renting a garage apt. or space within their home. Sometimes the students will rent in the Bayou Vista area, or in some homes very nearby UTMB - an older neighborhood (can't think of the name) is very nearby and some students have rented in that area as well. UTMB itself may offer some roommate matching services where you could stay in a nicer area with another student or two. Just noticed that this post is several months old - op has probably found something or decided something by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston