Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 05:27 PM

12 posts, read 17,636 times

Advertisements

I get on this site about twice or so a week for about a year now. I haven't made an account because I never thought I'll be commenting/posting on threads BUT I just had to know why does cities around the country HATE Houston so much? I really do not get the reason for it. There's never a day I get on this site and I don't see a fool talking about how boring, sprawly, and Suburban Houston is. The thread can be about how good apples are and somehow Houston is brought up and drugged in the dirt.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:43 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,274,061 times
Yes it's kind of like reading an article about kittens on yahoo news or on chron.com, and then when you read the comments below the subject somehow turns to Obama bashing. Actually people hate Houston because it is literally the best bang-for-your-buck city in the entire nation. In fact all of Texas is that way. Quite simply they are jealous haters.

Katt Williams summed it up (warning not safe for kids or work)

Katt Williams- Haters - YouTube

If somebody doubts this, then they can easily be directed to a myriad of top 5 rankings for Houston from CNN, Money Magazine, Forbes, Kiplinger, etc. The numbers don't lie. This was the fastest growing city in the nation from 2000-2010. Guess all those folks moving here didn't get the hater memo.

The rest of us will stay here in an international city with an international reputation, mild winters, a relatively strong economy, and the ability to easily own a nice house in your lifetime with money left over to save. The jealous folks can have fun in their $5000 a month efficiency apartments. Snow capped mountains, humpback whales, and all the cultural activities in the world don't mean a hill of beans if you can barely afford to live there.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:54 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,948 times
Honey, people have been hatin' on Houston since I was born.............back in the '50s...............in Houston. I have heard it all from all............and yet, we Houstonians keep plugging along............with a smile!

Old 08-25-2012, 06:00 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,095,507 times
I hate the idolization of ghetto culture that's rampant in Houston, even among educated individuals... like that's something to be proud of, that it's full of poverty/drugs and crime.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:04 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,629,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
I hate the idolization of ghetto culture that's rampant in Houston, even among educated individuals... like that's something to be proud of, that it's full of poverty/drugs and crime.
Idolization of the ghetto culture? Didn't know people Idolize the Holocaust. Huh learn something new everyday.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Idolization of the ghetto culture? Didn't know people Idolize the Holocaust. Huh learn something new everyday.
Ironic that your personal nickname for your hometown is Screwston, don't ya think?

Old 08-25-2012, 06:11 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,629,417 times
Quote:
Ironic that your personal nickname for your hometown is Screwston, don't ya think?
Ironic that Houston is not my hometown. So basically your assumptions and generalization about a particular demographic makes you look like a what? Think about it. With that said how much money do you need for a plane ticket to some state or city like Salt Lake City? We want to put you somewhere where there is no influence of "ghetto's" aka Idolizing black culture that you assume is all about drugs/guns/poverty. Montana is nice in the fall huh?

Old 08-25-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Ironic that Houston is not my hometown. So basically your assumptions and generalization about a particular demographic makes you look like a what? Think about it. With that said how much money do you need for a plane ticket to some state or city like Salt Lake City? We want to put you somewhere where there is no influence of "ghetto's" aka Idolizing black culture that you assume is all about drugs/guns/poverty. Montana is nice in the fall huh?
Just like the generalizing of all white people living in Montana? Or the ghetto has connotations to the Holocaust?

Old 08-25-2012, 06:16 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
It's the exact same thing as rednecks being proud of being who they are.
So you see it in every single town and city in the country, just in different ways.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
It's the exact same thing as rednecks being proud of being who they are.
There's no denying that, but in the real world if people want to be appreciated as decent members of society, then move away from being proud of ignorance, bigotry, etc. Same thing for people being unnecessarily proud of the inner city ghettos, and some individuals celebrating it even though they've never experienced it a day of their lives. Want respect in the real world? Don't act like a southern pride the south will rise again redneck (though not all rednecks are necessarily bad as some might think) but acting like a gangbanger will come with negative impressions people will have about that sort of mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston