Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:52 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,056,601 times

Advertisements

I mean the french revolution. You starve the have nots for only so long before things turn over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:15 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,772,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
I mean the french revolution. You starve the have nots for only so long before things turn over.
Really? You're going to go there? The French Revolution? The so called "have nots" in this country are anything but starving. They are obese, own a car, several TV's, computer, cell phone and eat out a lot. Many even indulge on alcohol and tobacco products at will. This is not the French Revolution dude. LOL. The only thing that's going to turn over are these sell out politicians who I'm going to vote out of office one by one.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Lopping heads in France, you mean those pesky Muslims from ''south of the border'' the media won't tell you about? It's their way or the highway.

Over the years I've seen a lot of decent to high paying jobs some people think they're too good to do, and lots of technical degrees people don't want to put the effort into. The attitude is "oh that's Mexican work... oh that's Chinese work." Just talk to all those people on the 95% white side "in the loop" for a few days and you'll hear those words verbatim. Really just talk to anyone who graduated from college after about 2002. I don't disagree that upward mobility is a problem, but these attitudes don't help the matter.

#GenYissues
Amen brother.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:27 PM

66 posts, read 117,901 times
Don't worry. The economy won't get any better, and all these rich people will find out public and private school ain't gonna save anyone.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:57 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,996,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Has nothing to do with "the poor kids"
It's about the quality of education in each school.

It kind of does. It's a sad truth but the majorty of public schools in the poorer areas and in the Loop are majority minority and as far as minority that's black and hispanic and really numbers wise (I'm not a computer to shoot them out at your but I've seen them and most have) schools, especially public schools with majority black or hispanic have lower quality education. It's like the administration is like "the parents aren't going to care/out of work/just having kids/single parent/etc so why should we make an effort. And well, in Houston most of those kids are either illegals or children of illegals so that doesn't help.

Oh sure, there are some exception but those are the magnet ones. Just a basic school, nothing special? Not happening. Not that a school is going to be tip top perfection with 99% white students but still. You know it's kind of true. People just don't like to say it. As far as Texas goes, this is a BIG problem why we have such a horrible school system.

That's just kind of a fact. Not a complete one in every case but in Houston it is. It's rough but true. Of course that could be because of the income segregation Drop a Loop school in Northwest Houston and make all the kids, whatever ethnicity come from households with $50-70k income and a maybe double income and I'll bet it'll be totally different.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:21 AM

66 posts, read 117,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
And yet such self-made whiteys are underrepresented in NBA/NFL amongst players (though not owners)....hmmm, discrimination/segregation perhaps? Where is affirmative action for whitey in pro sports?

oh, you mean taxpayer-supported entertainment? Those stadiums don't come free, yaknow.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:20 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,940,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Really? You're going to go there? The French Revolution? The so called "have nots" in this country are anything but starving. They are obese, own a car, several TV's, computer, cell phone and eat out a lot. Many even indulge on alcohol and tobacco products at will. This is not the French Revolution dude. LOL. The only thing that's going to turn over are these sell out politicians who I'm going to vote out of office one by one.
You are quite wrong about the facts of poverty. Many of the poor are seniors and many are white.

Great recession reflux amounts to more hunger among seniors | ACES News :: College of ACES, University of Illinois

Hunger in America: 2012 United States Hunger and Poverty Facts

Quote:
In 2010, children were food insecure at times during the year in 9.8 percent of households with children (3.9 million households.) In one percent of households with children,one or more of the children experienced the most severe food-insecure condition measured by USDA, very low food security, in which meals were irregular and food intake was below levels considered adequate by caregivers (Coleman-Jensen 2011, p. vi).
The Houston Food Bank is serving a greater number of the poor than it ever has. The Houston Food Bank, powered by our donors and working in partnership with nearly 500 hunger relief agencies in 18 southeast Texas counties, feeds more than 137,000 individuals each week who are hungry or food insecure.

Houston Food Bank

Quote:
Hard Choices

Hungry families report they must often choose between paying for food and other necessities.
Food vs. utilities - 62%
Food vs. rent or mortgage - 52%

Old 08-03-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
It kind of does. It's a sad truth but the majorty of public schools in the poorer areas and in the Loop are majority minority and as far as minority that's black and hispanic and really numbers wise (I'm not a computer to shoot them out at your but I've seen them and most have) schools, especially public schools with majority black or hispanic have lower quality education. It's like the administration is like "the parents aren't going to care/out of work/just having kids/single parent/etc so why should we make an effort. And well, in Houston most of those kids are either illegals or children of illegals so that doesn't help.

Oh sure, there are some exception but those are the magnet ones. Just a basic school, nothing special? Not happening. Not that a school is going to be tip top perfection with 99% white students but still. You know it's kind of true. People just don't like to say it. As far as Texas goes, this is a BIG problem why we have such a horrible school system.

That's just kind of a fact. Not a complete one in every case but in Houston it is. It's rough but true. Of course that could be because of the income segregation Drop a Loop school in Northwest Houston and make all the kids, whatever ethnicity come from households with $50-70k income and a maybe double income and I'll bet it'll be totally different.
I'm sorry, but this post has nothing to do with Houston, this is true of every city in the country. Here in Chicago the schools are beyond awful. Even in the 100% white areas (north side), the public schools are a joke. Don't get me started on the southside. Almost everyone in Chicago (who has the ability) sends their kids to private schools, primarily parochial schools. It's the same in NY and LA. It has nothing to do with Houston.

In fact, in TX in general, it's my understanding that most of the "white" public schools are awful as well. Take out the Woodlands, Sugarland, Katy and maybe one or two others, and you really don't have a lot of good public schools. It's one of the reasons why parents flock to those areas and drive up property prices.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:33 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,155,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Maybe its just me, but I personally am ok with segregation by income. Its segregation by ethnicity that I dont like.

^^^^^^^ this. Most people are poor because they didn't take care of business in school, or they make terrible decisions in their lives(I.e. going to jail, having kids they can't take care of). Racial segregation is different than economic segregation. During segregation people were forced to live in certain neighborhoods, nobody is forced to be poor.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:15 AM

833 posts, read 1,888,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
^^^^^^^ this. Most people are poor because they didn't take care of business in school, or they make terrible decisions in their lives(I.e. going to jail, having kids they can't take care of). Racial segregation is different than economic segregation. During segregation people were forced to live in certain neighborhoods, nobody is forced to be poor.
The problem with that is while you are correct that a good majority of very low income population is from a lack of drive at the end of the day it is all about parenting and influence. If you have a kid growing up poor area and is surrounded by the values that typically go with that he or she has nothing to strive for. If the parents don't care why is a kid going to care. At least with a more mixed community a child can see how is friends live and learn and have a chance to make to make something of themselves. Oh and don't give me that crap about it is the teachers job to teach children. A teacher can only do so much and it is not a teachers job to be a parent. If you look at areas with upper income and why the schools are so good a lot of it has to do with parents and how involved they are with the school and the children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston