Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:00 PM

125 posts, read 198,492 times

Advertisements

How about we just let LA be LA and Houston will be Houston.

Are we somehow collecting points here on earth and we get more points for each more eclectic venue we visit in our lifetime?

I don't gain my satisfaction with my day to day life from the restaurant at which I eat or the stores in which I shop. They are just that, places for me to get my clothes and food.
I get my enjoyment from friends and family and other places than the places I eat and shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 11:40 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times
I agree with red lion as I think barcelona fan is exaggerating LA a little more. You've only been there for 3 months so I'd say give it some time still. I lived there in 2011 and now Houston for 2012. Both cities have their own good things about each other. LA for sure crushes in scenery and beaches. Neighborhoods too but the LA metro is at least 3 times the size of h town. Other than west of the 405, west LA, Burbank, studio city and Pasadena. That whole hipster area in silver lake I guess is ok too but I wouldn't live anywhere else. The rest of the LA metro is more run down. I can't imagine living inland just so I could say I live in LA.

It's definitely relaxed in LA but I'd say Houston is too. You mention the 30k millionaire and Houston being inexpensive, which is, but honestly the Houston economy is thriving more than LA. Id put the 30k millionaire aside because the industries that are here make people some big bucks. You make it sound in LA people dont show boat. I hungout plenty in Hollywood and Beverly hills and there are def little rich kids that drive around like little punks who think they're big shots. Of course these aren't facts but a ton of kids in their 20s try and put up a front in LA when really they're living with their parents still. There's def a ton of cool relaxed people out there but in west LA you do see that superficial vibe. Houstonians can act however they want as I don't see Houston trying to shadow Angelenos.

Idk if you thought about it but the pay scale vs both cities aren't far off compared to cities like new York or San fran. I have my moments when I miss LA but the politics suck there and I feel more free being back in texas. right now people out there are struggling for work while many here who are in the right field are makin plenty. There are tons of nice cars I see driven around here that usually are only bought from those w high incomes. You don't see as many nice cars driven around in San antonio, or Austin, and aren't just trying to show off, or shadow LA. As in the recent post, let LA be LA and Houston, Houston. With social media how it is, lots of places are becoming similiar. When I told someone I was moving back to Texas I just laughed when they told me that Texas is a whole new world and a culture shock. I also laugh when people here think California as something else.

And lastly, Houston has superb down and dirty tex mex. you wont find a chachos out there or good queso lol.

Last edited by eastontracks; 08-07-2012 at 12:05 AM..

Old 08-07-2012, 01:24 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,258 times
West LA is a WHOLE different ball game from the rest of LA. Most Angelenos just see it as a different city. The showboating it def. centered around there and there is a divide between the two sides of town.

And LA is rich or poor, and I mean really poor and really rich. There is not much in between, which sucks.

Houston is on the upswing with a real life that boasts both inexpensive living and eclectic living. Inner loop Houston is one of the best places to live in America, hands down.

I just do not want Houston to think it has to glam up every part of town, that's all. People in here are boasting that you can have both but I am just paranoid that that is temporary because the development just hasn't reached those good parts yet. I am thinking about how Houston lost some of the best indie cinema houses in the States. Or how shopping at the thrift stores off Westheimar is almost like shopping at Ross now.

There has most certainly been an exodus of talent from LA and I am most certain it's reaching Houston instead.

So people do not think of this as a Houston vs LA thing, but more of a don't let Houston be Dallas thing.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlibrarian View Post
How about we just let LA be LA and Houston will be Houston.

Are we somehow collecting points here on earth and we get more points for each more eclectic venue we visit in our lifetime?

I don't gain my satisfaction with my day to day life from the restaurant at which I eat or the stores in which I shop. They are just that, places for me to get my clothes and food.
I get my enjoyment from friends and family and other places than the places I eat and shop.
How does this keep coming up? I am talking more about the neighborhoods being strengthened instead of gentrified. I am talking about the people being able to stay where they were raised.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
How does this keep coming up? I am talking more about the neighborhoods being strengthened instead of gentrified. I am talking about the people being able to stay where they were raised.
Why?
People always come up with the weirdest fascinations with some sort of Utopian place.
Explain the benefits of whatever it is that you are promoting. And then, explain why the quality of life of people would be improved at all if you had your Utopian idea come to life.
I just don't see it.

Some people are really concerned with abstract, intangible things.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:58 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Quote:
Ppl chill! I'm not dissing Houston...

If anything Houston is a cooler place to party. People just go to get drunk and have a blast.

Instead all I've seen out of these areas is more shopping and dining for the White Tahoe driving, big glasses wearing, turquoise jewelry covered suburban mom, more clubs for stuck up prima donnas and pushy bouncers to act like they're club too hot for you, etc.

Houston revitalization just reminds me of Vegas or even Dubai; a shiny bubble with no substance.

I love Houston but it's becoming one douchey city.

Plus in the past five years Houston has turned into the douche land capital starting off with Wash Ave and spreading out.
Some areas think they're so exclusive and think they're LA but in reality just end up looking ridiculous. So the bouncer won't let you into the strip mall club next to the nail salon. Lol

Nah, no dissing going on here!

BarcelonaFan, I'm curious, what area of LA did you purchase a house at? I go there often on business and to me it seems more foreign (Latin America) with nice parts than the other way around.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 08-07-2012 at 07:07 AM..

Old 08-07-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlibrarian View Post
Why?
People always come up with the weirdest fascinations with some sort of Utopian place.
Explain the benefits of whatever it is that you are promoting. And then, explain why the quality of life of people would be improved at all if you had your Utopian idea come to life.
I just don't see it.

Some people are really concerned with abstract, intangible things.
You either did not read any of my posts or are just wanting to ignore them to pick a fight.

This while topic is about gentrification and the socio-economic impacts it has on the inhabitants of the area being gentrified. I thought I made this quite clear.

I said that instead of shifting the burden of under development in depressed areas to other parts of town and setting up city centers or whatnot, LA has some nice alternatives to it and has made old hoods into cool habitiable places for everyone. This means the original inhabitants do not have to move out and people from wherever move in.

This has never been about liking cool places to live and eat.

Just what the heck is wring with you?

Old 08-07-2012, 08:34 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
You either did not read any of my posts or are just wanting to ignore them to pick a fight.

This while topic is about gentrification and the socio-economic impacts it has on the inhabitants of the area being gentrified. I thought I made this quite clear.

I said that instead of shifting the burden of under development in depressed areas to other parts of town and setting up city centers or whatnot, LA has some nice alternatives to it and has made old hoods into cool habitiable places for everyone. This means the original inhabitants do not have to move out and people from wherever move in.

Oh Houston does have places doing that on the eastside. But perhaps you are too young to understand the economics of remaking old places for everybody. Eventually enough people from wherever move in and drive up the tax values to the point where original inhabitants have to sell. Then yes, it does become cool and trendy.There is no price control in TX, never will be. So your idea of haves and havenots living in cute bungelows next to each other is a wonderful and youthful pipedream for Houston.

Glad for you that you have found it in LA. I think Boulder CO has some governmental price control as well.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:02 AM

Yes that happens too as it is happening in the parts of LA I mentioned but that is a problem that has to be looked at and is still a better problem to deal with than straight I gentrification.

Again some of you conservative types seem to just accept the economic situation as just reality when there are alternatives out there that contradict the narrative. Instead you brush off what they're going on the eastsude as a pipe dream?

So instead reality consists of putting low income people out in favor of gentrification? Thats reality dude, I know you dont want to be a jerk about it but you're "bring real". :rolls eyes;

Old 08-07-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:

You keep explaining to me the difference but you keep leaving out why one is better than the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston