Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:26 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,447,102 times

Advertisements

While I haven't ventured out there myself, a lot of people have told me there is tons of outdoorsy stuff in the Texas Hill Country, which would be a nice weekend trip from Houston. Caves, hiking, fishing, vineyards, kayaking, etc. Here's a site that may be of some help... first thing that popped up when I googled Texas Hill Country outdoors: Hill Country Outdoor Guide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 09:27 AM

26 posts, read 45,793 times
Hi. nice to meet you. It's great to hear so many connections with americans with the Irish
I like the idea of the Bayous. Myself and my husband can kayak a little but we have only done it at the beach and we have a 7 year old so not sure it would work but I'll definitely look into it
There is alot in the city we miss out on out here in Katy but we must try and get in there more. We choose Katy for the schools but there isn't alot outdoors to do on our doorstep. We cycled in George Bush park last Autumn and Winter and hope to start that now again and the farm fruit picking will deffo do. Going to have to go into city more at weekends !!

Old 09-13-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
While I haven't ventured out there myself, a lot of people have told me there is tons of outdoorsy stuff in the Texas Hill Country, which would be a nice weekend trip from Houston. Caves, hiking, fishing, vineyards, kayaking, etc. Here's a site that may be of some help... first thing that popped up when I googled Texas Hill Country outdoors: Hill Country Outdoor Guide
oh thank you ! We definitely want to do the Hill Country some weekend so will take a look at that

Old 09-13-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
This saturday is free Houston museum day soyou might want to take advantage of that.
thank you

Old 09-13-2012, 09:46 AM

366 posts, read 797,379 times
I highly recommend Brazos Bend State Park. Maybe about 45 min away from Katy or so. Great place to check all all sorts of wildlife, including alligators that can be just a few feet away from you. Brazos Bend State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department
Great when it's not so hot, like now. Cheap and family friendly, too.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:48 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
There are lots of street fairs and outdoor music things going on.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:50 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Summer is definitely winding down, and the milder temps will be here before you know it.

This autumn, I'd recommend that you explore East Texas and SW Arkansas during the peak of fall colors. You have numerous lakes and state parks to choose from.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:55 AM

You all rock Thank you so much for all the tips going to make the most of the cooler weather the next few months and see all your suggestions! Major cabin fever right now as been indoors too much the last few weeks. I never thought I'd be so happy to see cooler temps. This is from an Irish girl who comes from a damp cold country and craves sun usually lol

Old 09-13-2012, 10:04 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniethepooh View Post
Hi all

Been living in Katy for a year and will be for one more year. Here with my husbands work and it's been great to experience another country but find at this stage we are struggling trying to find nice things to do in Houston.

We are outdoorsy people. Came from Ireland where we are used to space and scenery on our doorstep. We like the climate here most of the year except the summer.

We are here for work purposes temporarily and we are trying to make most of it but we really miss scenery and space as I said.

We have enjoyed using Houston as a base to explore other areas of the US which has been great.

I'm looking for some suggestions of family things to do at weekends please. We like scenic places outdoors, things like markets, nice family festivals or concerts.

We've been to most museums in the city. Did Nasa last weekend at last. That was impressive and will go back Been to Galveston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio. Things within two hours drive of Katy at weekend would be good thanks.

Oh my goodness there's lots to do. Even in the hot summer there are events (I understand about the heat - I am a native and it even keeps me indoors in late August). But if you are willing to drive a little there are loads of things to do in the fall. Little towns across the state have all kinds of outdoor festivals. One of my favorites is the Halloween festival in Waxahachie called "Screams." Just got back from Fredericksburg and we watched bats stream out of an abandoned railroad cave while a band played live music at a nearby outdoor cafe. Wimberley would be another. They have the best small town Christmas festival to me. Unfortunately some of these examples are more than 2 hrs away, but keep in mind this is a big state.

Just do a google search for "Texas festivals" for lots of ideas. Here is one example I found:

Texas Music Events & Festivals

Old 09-13-2012, 10:20 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
I grew up over there near what is called The Big Thicket but back then it was pretty much just a big thicket. This is an area that has since been developed much for outdoor activities, i.e., camping, hiking, fishing, etc. This may be something you may want to look into for your family. Maybe a local Houstonian on here can give you some advice here. I've sort of lost track of east Texas goings-on over the past forty years.

I mention this because living so near the the Big Thicket as a child I am sure had some influence on my past career in wildlife. I think I spent a significant part of my childhood looking into pine trees for an Ivory-billed Woodpecker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston