Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 AM

377 posts, read 1,347,109 times

Advertisements

I'm scared to look at these kinda BEST list these days as almost all of them includes Houston. ..and every list HOUSTON gets into, adds 1 minute to your commute time.

So glad Houston is not on this BEST list Now its turn for someone else to share the pain

America's Best Cities - Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 08:41 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,138,168 times
Houston's #22, I'll leave a little earleir tonight!

Old 10-04-2012, 09:05 AM

377 posts, read 1,347,109 times
Thats an 'improvement' as HOUSTON used to be in position 1-5 almost always

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post

Old 10-04-2012, 09:13 AM

259 posts, read 510,855 times
I highly doubt many people who are already in nice places decide to up and move to Houston. Ok we have transfers that come to work at the Medical Center, and maybe a few of the Petro companies, but other than that I HIGHLY doubt people are flocking to Houston based off of these highly subjective ratings.

For one if they came for a reconnaissance visit before moving and were really honest I'd think that'd be a deterrent enough.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:15 AM

391 posts, read 923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretogo View Post
I'm scared to look at these kinda BEST list these days as almost all of them includes Houston. ..and every list HOUSTON gets into, adds 1 minute to your commute time.

So glad Houston is not on this BEST list Now its turn for someone else to share the pain

America's Best Cities - Yahoo! Finance
I feel your pain there! I work in Uptown and used to live on the NW side... the drive kept getting longer and longer as if I were drifting further away from the city it seemed! I got fed up with it so I moved to Westchase to be closer to work and after a year went by the same thing... the drive kept getting longer and longer and now I moved to Greenway Plaza literally next door to Uptown and we will see how long this 3 mile commute takes in a few months!

Houston's massive growth spurt is great and horrible at the same time. It's great that Houston is growing and we have a rockin economy here (compared to the rest of the USA), but it makes traffic absolutely horrid! This reminds me of the last massive growth spurt Houston had back in the 1970's. Houston grew so fast that they were unable to keep up with freeways resulting in possibly the worst traffic disaster of its time... Looks like we are heading in that direction again... time to trade in the car for a helicopter or bulldozer!

Old 10-04-2012, 09:29 AM

15 posts, read 21,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
I feel your pain there! I work in Uptown and used to live on the NW side... the drive kept getting longer and longer as if I were drifting further away from the city it seemed! I got fed up with it so I moved to Westchase to be closer to work and after a year went by the same thing... the drive kept getting longer and longer and now I moved to Greenway Plaza literally next door to Uptown and we will see how long this 3 mile commute takes in a few months!

Houston's massive growth spurt is great and horrible at the same time. It's great that Houston is growing and we have a rockin economy here (compared to the rest of the USA), but it makes traffic absolutely horrid! This reminds me of the last massive growth spurt Houston had back in the 1970's. Houston grew so fast that they were unable to keep up with freeways resulting in possibly the worst traffic disaster of its time... Looks like we are heading in that direction again... time to trade in the car for a helicopter or bulldozer!
Considering Moving to Sugar land, so thanks for the Post. The post is reminding me that traffic in Houston is as bad as Los Angeles. However don't you guys have major Public Transportation, tolls, and those little streets that run on the side of the freeway(we dont have in LA) to eliminate traffic? Just curious this is important information for me

Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 AM

418 posts, read 743,097 times
Those "little streets" stay just as crowded as the freeways.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 AM

833 posts, read 1,890,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
And the fact that Dallas, Austin, San Antonio and Houston made the list you might have a few more minutes to the commute. All major cities in Texas are in the Top 50 and everyone is loading up their moving trucks as I type this and headed to towards the great Lone Star State.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 AM

418 posts, read 743,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post
And the fact that Dallas, Austin, San Antonio and Houston made the list you might have a few more minutes to the commute. All major cities in Texas are in the Top 50 and everyone is loading up their moving trucks as I type this and headed to towards the great Lone Star State.
Oh God. Just shoot me now.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:40 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,272,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
time to trade in the car for a helicopter or bulldozer!
There are some pretty affordable Helicopters out there...I would actually love to commute via helicopter, but I have a strong feeling that I will never be able to find a building downtown close enough to my wife's job that will let me land on just for a drop off....I can easily park the helicopter at my office and I have ample take off room at the house...well ample for me...the neighbors may not think its ample...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston