Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 07:59 AM

110 posts, read 281,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Actual laws though? As long as republicans hold the house nothing will go through.
One need not look any further than what he has accomplished in the past couple of years with a Republican controlled House. He's been able to advance his agenda considerably on issues like immigration, welfare reform, regulation, etc., through executive orders. The House, apparently, could do nothing to stop it. I think the same will hold true for gun control if Obama wins the election.

The other sources may be correct on the out of state license/handgun issue. Its been a long time since I've purchased a handgun at a show and the requirements aren't fresh in my mind.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 AM

259 posts, read 510,809 times
Yes, you do need a valid Texas Drivers license for handguns, but for rifles, shotguns all you need is a valid drivers license from any state.

They will do a background check on you that they call in after you fill out a small questionnaire type worksheet then, they will wait for a response from the FBI background check. Most of the time it will be a "Proceed" and you can get your firearm right away, but in some cases they may delay you.

If you are delayed which can take up to 3 three days don't fret, doesn't mean you are being seen as a criminal, just that sometimes they want to be sure you aren't someone else with the same name or sometimes they just do it because they can.

I went to the gun show in Pasadena TX last month because I wanted to buy a high powered rifle that I know would probably be banned if a new assault weapon ban came to be...also I know like last time the prices went sky high after the election of 2008 so I knew better this time. Glad I got it out of the way, now I know at least my rifle can be grandfathered in.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:47 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,450,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
I still have my North Carolina drivers license... maybe it's time to actually get it switched. I know I was supposed to do this about 2 years ago
Those responding, are you NRA members? My understanding was the NRA was focused on the right to bear arms for responsible, law abiding citizens... the OP has admitted to not following the law, which in Texas requires new residents to obtain a Texas DL within 90 days.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:22 PM

799 posts, read 2,443,564 times
1. get your drivers license changed over regardless.

2. Attend gun shows for the spectacle, not thinking you are going to save huge money. If you want it now, go to any number of well known, well stocked retail gun stores in the area. If you can wait, slickguns.com

Ill check out a show about once a year if Im bored, or if I want to check out three or four guns, and buy one after comparing them side by side.

I just renewed my CHL at The Arms Room saturday. I was impressed. Awesome indoor range.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:21 PM

110 posts, read 281,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Those responding, are you NRA members? My understanding was the NRA was focused on the right to bear arms for responsible, law abiding citizens... the OP has admitted to not following the law, which in Texas requires new residents to obtain a Texas DL within 90 days.
I, for one, support the right to bear arms for those who have neglected to have their drivers license switched over. And I'm quite sure the NRA does, as well.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,814,519 times
Don't worry, Obama won't take your guns when he wins.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorJan View Post
I, for one, support the right to bear arms for those who have neglected to have their drivers license switched over. And I'm quite sure the NRA does, as well.
Thanks for the clarification: the NRA supports the right to bear arms for irresponsible, non-law abiding citizens. I got it now.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:58 PM

799 posts, read 2,443,564 times
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification: the NRA supports the right to bear arms for irresponsible, non-law abiding citizens. I got it now.
...and you pointing out this ridiculous set of circumstances makes you a crybaby. Grow up, sir.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:18 PM

I'm the baby, yet you're the one resorting to personal attacks.

Just having a little fun with a guy who wants all the details on documentation required for purchasing a gun, yet can't bother to follow the law and obtain his Texas DL in 2 years time. I find that funny.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:43 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,330,581 times
Quote:
If being 100% compliant with all laws was grounds for gun ownership the 2nd amendment may as well not exist. I personally don't know anyone who has never driven over the speed limit, run a red light, managed to get their car inspections done on time ever time, never driven down the street without a seat belt, etc etc etc.

Just be glad my infraction doesn't involve a pile of bodies in my basement or underage kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: