Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 06:48 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorJan View Post
Guns are already "regulated." Heavily.
That you would claim guns are heavily regulated in a thread about gun shows is equal parts hilarious and sad. Never heard of the gun show loophole?

Old 12-15-2012, 07:06 PM

110 posts, read 280,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
That you would claim guns are heavily regulated in a thread about gun shows is equal parts hilarious and sad. Never heard of the gun show loophole?
Since the founding of this nation, guns have been progressively regulated. That is a fact.

As for the "gun show loophole," well, that's a clever term that the anti-gun extremists coined because it sounds sinister. Attaching the word "loophole" to political footballs like guns and taxes is an old liberal trick that goes back decades.

In reality, there is no "gun show loophole." Individual citizens have the right to exchange private property, including firearms, where ever they are; the location is irrelevant. Unless you happen to live in a city like New York that have local, city laws that prohibit such. Then, of course, many of your other rights have been restricted, too, like the size soda you can purchase.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:11 PM

340 posts, read 802,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorJan View Post
Since the founding of this nation, guns have been progressively regulated. That is a fact.

As for the "gun show loophole," well, that's a clever term that the anti-gun extremists coined because it sounds sinister. Attaching the word "loophole" to political footballs like guns and taxes is an old liberal trick that goes back decades.

In reality, there is no "gun show loophole." Individual citizens have the right to exchange private property, including firearms, where ever they are; the location is irrelevant. Unless you happen to live in a city like New York that have local, city laws that prohibit such. Then, of course, many of your other rights have been restricted, too, like the size soda you can purchase.

Couldn't have said it better.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:04 PM

847 posts, read 1,751,858 times
Speaking of guns......wife and I have started looking into a gun for home protection since she is home with the baby when she isnt at school. Well, my wife mentioned it to her mom....and come to find out, her parents were going to buy us a gun for christmas and mother in law said for us not to buy one......heres my question

If her parents buy us a gun, do I need to register it in our name or not. Ive read on different websites that you dont need to register a handgun in texas unless you want a concealed handgun license..... help, xmas is around the corner....

Old 12-15-2012, 08:10 PM

^ We don't register guns in Texas.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:17 PM

340 posts, read 802,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelion_ms3 View Post
Speaking of guns......wife and I have started looking into a gun for home protection since she is home with the baby when she isnt at school. Well, my wife mentioned it to her mom....and come to find out, her parents were going to buy us a gun for christmas and mother in law said for us not to buy one......heres my question

If her parents buy us a gun, do I need to register it in our name or not. Ive read on different websites that you dont need to register a handgun in texas unless you want a concealed handgun license..... help, xmas is around the corner....
If you want to be ultra safe, buy the gun yourself and have them reimburse you for it. Assuming you are buying from a store it would be in your name then. Nothing wrong with the other way that I am aware if as long as you are legally allowed to own one. You wouldn't want anyone to assume you are doing a straw purchase.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trele6 View Post
Assuming you are buying from a store it would be in your name then.
Since we don't register guns here, there's no "in your name."

The only time the gift scenario is a problem is if the receiver is prohibited from owning a firearm (as you previously noted).

Old 12-16-2012, 07:17 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelion_ms3 View Post

I don't know what your (and her) comfort level with guns is, but if this is a first gun for either of you I'd recommend some training. My wife and I recently purchased our first and found a CHL instructor to take us down to the range for a couple hours to teach us all the basics. May be a good option for her.

Also look into good safes. There is a balance between keeping your weapon easily accessible and out of children's hands. This is what we ultimately ended up with and are very happy with it (FAS1 SAFE, LLC) but there are certainly others out there.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:21 AM

847 posts, read 1,751,858 times
yeah, we plan on going to the range and getting more familiar with it. especially since we don't know exactly what they're buying us. we will most likely still buy another gun, maybe one specifically for the wife......i like that safe a lot

Old 12-16-2012, 07:44 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,275 times
I have children and all my guns are in a safe. I never keep the ammo together with the guns. I keep all the ammo in a separate safe. If they can get one it will be very hard to get the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: