Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 09:08 AM

114 posts, read 225,123 times

Advertisements

Ive encountered quite a few rude folks lately. Whether Im driving or at work. Is this a Houston thing? Please i need to have faith in humanity before i just run away and live in the woods!

Old 12-31-2012, 09:19 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,256 times
Rude people... a Houston thing? Lol... more like a everywhere thing.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:20 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
There are rude people anywhere you go. Certainly not specific to Houston. What makes you think rude people in a big city is something unusual?

Old 12-31-2012, 09:22 AM

413 posts, read 1,179,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypresstosocal View Post
Ive encountered quite a few rude folks lately. Whether Im driving or at work. Is this a Houston thing? Please i need to have faith in humanity before i just run away and live in the woods!
I hear you on the driving. I turned my blinker on and turned into the right lane with 50 ft of distance from the car behind me; the guy came running out at the traffic light yelling profanity. Road rage is too common here and I'm more cautious now. One guy followed my friend to his house to tell him - Why did the f**k you come into my lane". Why are these Ford, RAM truck drivers all to uppity? Are they more sensitive and hyper than the others (of course not all but it a pretty consistent observation).

Even older ladies who look nice like grandma's don't let you in the lane even after politely gesturing. I had never encountered this type of behavior in Georgia but in Houston, this happens 3 times a day when I'm driving and I'm the most considerate and safe driver.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:37 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,597,258 times
Its common in highly dense traffic cities.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:41 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times
Contrary to popular belief, Houston is not a nice town. It's nice on the outside sometimes but for the most part it's a plenty rude city. Pedestrians have no right of way, if you don't drive a truck you're fish food to the sharks in pick ups, there is still that old school mindset of what constitutes a "man" in Houston. I mean it's one of those towns where they insult you in a "polite" manner if that makes any sense. Considering how much of a keeping up with the Joneses place it is, you're almost in constant competition with your friends and family for the latest crap. On the other end of the stick there is a "humble arrogance" too you have to put up with. An attitude that says that they do not need to be flashy or fancy (or at least what they perceive that to be), all they need is a good ol' fashion middle class life.

This is a generalization of course and not everyone in Houston is like this but there is an element present in Houston. Especially the club scene, I mean my god is it unbearable sometimes. Not even LA is this uppity with their dress codes, who they let in, what clientele they want, etc.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:50 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,808 times
Do we really need yet another thread on this ? Hasn't it all been said before ? Everyone's Houston experience will be different as will everyone's LA etc experience.

For record, I find Houston very friendly and the traffic not as bad as my last city experience.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:51 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Considering how much of a keeping up with the Joneses place it is, you're almost in constant competition with your friends and family for the latest crap.
And just because you're in constant competition doesn't mean the rest of us are.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 AM

114 posts, read 225,123 times
What is strange is it seems to be within the last month. Even in the parking lots people practically running people over to get home. I know people are stressed with the holidays, but it seems we should be more compassionate toward one another especially with whats happened lately with recent violence. Ive been in Houston 8 years now, I dont remember it being like this in the past or in other cities. Lets remember to be kind to people that have to work on the holidays.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
In general life, I find Houston people VERY nice. I am usually startled when I encounter a rude person, because it's rare.

In traffic, though, it's different. We do have some aggressive drivers. I learned very early on NOT to use blinkers to change lanes. You are signaling that "I am moving in front of your space" and they usually react by trying not to let you. Just slide in there without blinkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston