Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 07:57 PM

8 posts, read 23,518 times

Advertisements

Here's a great site to compare schools in the area...as you can see, Sampson got a 10 out of 10 rating. Not ALL Cy-Fair elementary schools are rated this high, so you really need to look carefully at the schools your kids will be zoned to.

Sampson Elementary School - Cypress, Texas - TX - School overview
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 09:25 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,222,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCon View Post
Buy in Coles Crossings. People buy in that neighborhood just so they can send their kids to Sampson Elementary School. That's what my real estate agent told me, anyway.
His job is near West Oaks Mall at Westheimer and Highway 6 - Coles Crossing is a nice subdivision - but an extremely horrible commute to his job. Cinco is as nice and an hour closer.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 AM

58 posts, read 94,617 times
If you are working int he energy corridor and want newer homes, then Cinco Ranch in Katy, TX, is the first place I learned about when I moved here four years ago from Chicago. Cinco Ranch is almost all grown out. Once the land is gone, then the housing prices will start shooting up because everyone that moves here wants to live in Cinco Ranch because of the schools and amenities. As soon as houses are built, they are gone quickly. When a house goes on the market in Cinco Ranch, it is gone quickly. This area is growing like crazy because many oil companies are moving some of their staff here. It drives up the value of the homes. there are older parts of Cinco Ranch that you can get a house around $175,000 and then there are newer homes ranging from $160,000 on up to $1,000,000. If your planning to work downtown, there is a park and ride available on Kingsland Drive. Many people that work at the medical park take advantage of that. Traffic on I-10 and Westpark Tollway are terrible in the rush hour traffic. If you live in Cinco Ranch on the east side, you can take back roads over to the energy corridor. It's not so bad then. It all depends on where you are working and how long you want to commute. Katy, TX is growing and many of the hospitals and energy companies are starting to build out here. It's a growing and more and more jobs are becoming available.

If you want to be close to Cinco Ranch and pay 12% less taxes, then there's Richmond, TX, just south of Westpark Tollway. There is also Sugar Land, TX in the southwest area with older and some newer homes. On the north side, there is The Woodlands, but with tens of thousands moving to that area because of the growing oil companies building there, you will have to compete with many for the homes available. If you go inside I-610 circle, the pricing is much higher, and the homes go quickly.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:27 PM

246 posts, read 896,200 times
I don't agree to buy at older, established neighborhood where appreciation is higher compared with new community. Remember if the house is over 12 years old, the appreciation is already at the highest...180K house at 1996 will become 300K house, it won't go up to 400K in the long run.

For new house, there is better chance for 300K becoming 500K house in 10 years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I would take a realtor's advice over anyone else's on this board, including mine, but I would think that buying in an older, established neighborhood, close in to where you work, you have a much better shot at appreciation than in a MPC in the burbs.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:34 PM

Cinco Ranch is your best choice with the best school and community, with many pools and parks.....with trail...The appreciation is 5-10% every year....

Old 01-20-2013, 04:20 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,527,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
I don't agree to buy at older, established neighborhood where appreciation is higher compared with new community. Remember if the house is over 12 years old, the appreciation is already at the highest...180K house at 1996 will become 300K house, it won't go up to 400K in the long run.

For new house, there is better chance for 300K becoming 500K house in 10 years....

Lots and location age better than a house. Housing valued at 180k in 1996, and in a closer to town location than Cinco, are worth 500-750k today.And they were built in 1965....

Old 01-20-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Lots and location age better than a house. Housing valued at 180k in 1996, and in a closer to town location than Cinco, are worth 500-750k today.And they were built in 1965....
Correct. There is no ceiling on appreciation. It always has to do with location.

I once sold a small house in West University for almost $450K. The seller bought it a long time ago for $25K.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:38 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,250,951 times
Thank you for all of your replies. We'll be heading to Houston next weekend for a 4-day recon trip just to get a feel for the different areas, so we want the trip to be most effective.

I've spent the better part of this weekend researching Houston real estate and am more confused than before, so any clarity or perspective is appreciated. Certain areas of Houston, such as West University, Bellaire, and Memorial have seen prices skyrocket in the recent past, but other areas, such as the West Oaks area where I'll be working, have declined. How do you spot the future winners from the future losers?

Houston appears to be growing and growing fast, so I expect the Houston in 4-6 years to be different from the Houston of today.

From the comments above and from my own research, we are planning to check out at least the following areas in our recon trip:
1. Katy - Cinco Ranch
2. Katy - Other non-Cinco Ranch areas
3. West Memorial (the ones zoned to Stratford H.S.)
4. Sugar Land - Telfair or Riverstone?
5. Meyerland

What are your thoughts on the above areas? Are there any additional areas you recommend? Again, the primary goal is to maximize appreciation over the next 4-6 years.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM

Sorry, what I mean in similar location, within 2-3 miles, not compare one in downtown, and one is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post

Old 01-20-2013, 05:46 PM

You have to be aware of how the city grew - what demographics existed and how transitions occurred. Shopping, employment locations and professions, transportation (affecting commutes to those employment bases), schools, percentage of apartments vs. home-ownership, etc. - all affect the current situation and the future of an area.

Some things change, but overall, it's a foreseeable trend. Example of changes: the Exxon Mobile compound will affect The Woodlands and Champions (in a positive way). Things keeping the trend: the Energy Corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston