Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 01:48 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
jek74, your argument assumes that every neighborhood and school will mix in the proper proportions of the demographics at large. This is demonstrably false. Have you seen a demographic map of Houston? Class/race segregation is enjoying a renaissance over the last few decades. Just watch as a school tips toward majority white/affluent and you will soon find other similar families clawing over each other to get a home or spot there, too. Supply/demand and market forces will eventually serve to keep the riffraff out of the public schools, those kids are a drag on all-important scores. Have to agree with Crone on this one.

Even in big cities it can be hard to generalize politics above the block level, never mind the state. Heck, politicians have known this for years. Those gerrymandered maps are eye-poppingly detailed.
Yes of course. I don't disagree with what you said. But that is true EVERYWHERE. It's worse in Chicago and NY and Boston,etc. Why do you think parents in NY pay 40k a year to get their kid into an all white pre-school. It's so they can get into the all white high schools when the time comes.

I took issue with two things. One, that this was just a Houston issue as Crone was citing this as one of the reasons he wants to get the hell out of here. And two, Houston is not white anymore! Sure, there will be a few all white uber wealthy schools. But 95% Houston schools will be hispanic. There is no way to get around that. And not just Houston either, in 25 years or less we will be a majority hispanic country. Even in North Dakota! So this whole white argument is just getting really old since we are not living in the 1950's anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,492 times
Not politics. Standards of living? Yes.

As a moderate conservative, I respect everyones own opinion of Govt. and personal beliefs. What you do in your home is your business, not mine. Just don't bring it on my property unless invited

Old 01-31-2013, 11:21 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,103 times
I am a liberal living in Texas, so I guess the basic answer to the question is, "no." My wife and I moved here because she got a job here. We work as professors in the humanities, so if one of us had gotten a job in Timbuktu, we'd probably have taken it. Jobs are scarce in our field. I usually find interesting people of all sorts of political persuasions anywhere, and I get along with just about everyone I've met here, liberal or conservative. I do however find the overall cultural emphasis on the private a bit unnerving. I think a lot of western states have less of a sense of the importance of a social safety net than the midwest, and I'm not used to that. So far I guess I think Houston is a great place to go to have stuff to yourself, but it's not necessarily that great if you want to be a part of something bigger than yourself.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:36 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoGhost View Post
Has the political climate of a certain municipality/state ever influenced your decision on whether or not to live there? Conservatives, do you feel you are more inclined to move to a similarly ideological area or are you open to being around others with a majority different viewpoint? Liberals, same to you? What are your thoughts?
The reason everybody moves to the suburbs is politics
Politics make sure that much more tax dollars are spent in suburb infrastructure, schools, police, etc. than in inner city.
My theory is that politicians make money from real estate developers in the suburbs.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:38 AM

9 posts, read 11,654 times
I moved here to be with family. If I had my choice, I would still be in New York. At least there, my car didn't get vandalized for having an 'Obama 2012' bumper sticker on it. Real mature, people, real mature.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:14 AM

404 posts, read 1,245,420 times
Did someone leave a sign on your windshield stating they vandalized your vehicle due to your Obama 2012 bumper sticker?

Old 02-01-2013, 07:22 AM

184 posts, read 314,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunababy View Post
I moved here to be with family. If I had my choice, I would still be in New York. At least there, my car didn't get vandalized for having an 'Obama 2012' bumper sticker on it. Real mature, people, real mature.
Just as mature as people getting their vehicle vandalized for having Romney stickers. Real mature people, real mature.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
The reason everybody moves to the suburbs is politics
Politics make sure that much more tax dollars are spent in suburb infrastructure, schools, police, etc. than in inner city.
My theory is that politicians make money from real estate developers in the suburbs.

Huh? So it has nothing to do with the cost of living? Really? Really? Really? Are you sure about that capadre? You may want to double check that theory. Just run it through the old noggin a few more times.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunababy View Post

The irony here is you were probably vandalized by an Obama supporter.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:06 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Maybe they vandalized your car because they're not working and they're used to taking other people's stuff instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston